Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

UK citizen to marry US citizen in US then apply for marriage visa to live in UK

UK citizen to marry US citizen in US then apply for marriage visa to live in UK

Old May 23rd 2002, 1:20 am
Lucky

Default UK citizen to marry US citizen in US then apply for marriage visa to live in UK

Here is my situation: My US citizen fiance is planning on coming over to visit me in
the UK later in the year on a tourist visa. We then plan to go over to New York for a
short break together, (me going on a tourist visa) where we hope to get married. We
then plan to go straight over to the UK embassy in New York in person and apply for a
UK based marriage visa so that we can then both return to the UK to live. My
"husband" will then hopefully be able to work in the UK.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of scenario? Is it technically possible?

Also, does New York require Social Security Numbers before they will grant a
marriage licence?

Please tell me if this plan is really impossible, otherwise my fiance will then have
to spend many months apply for a uk based fiance visa, we both marry in the uk (he
will be unable to work on a fiance visa) and then I understand it can take up to a
year to get the marriage visa after we are married....is this true?

Any help or advice would be much appreicated. I have already checked out all the
usual uk/us visa advice sites, but have been unable to find any answers to my
above queries.

Thanks in advance.

Old May 23rd 2002, 1:20 am
Donna Herboth

Default Re: UK citizen to marry US citizen in US then apply for marriage visa to live in UK

The only question in your post that I can honestly answer for you is that New York
does not require any social security numbers before they grant a marriage license. I
(USC) had to show my driver's license and my husband (German citizen) only needed to
show his passport (he has a NY driver's license and showed that.... I called before
hand and was instructed by the city clerk's office that the passport would be
sufficient).

Good luck!

Lucky wrote:

> Also, does New York require Social Security Numbers before they will grant a
    > marriage licence?

Old May 23rd 2002, 12:20 pm
Andy Platt

Default Re: UK citizen to marry US citizen in US then apply for marriage visa to live in UK

"Lucky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Here is my situation: My US citizen fiance is planning on coming over to visit me
    > in the UK later in the year on a tourist visa. We then plan to
go
    > over to New York for a short break together, (me going on a tourist visa) where we
    > hope to get married. We then plan to go straight over to the UK embassy in New York
    > in person and apply for a UK based marriage visa so
that
    > we can then both return to the UK to live. My "husband" will then
hopefully
    > be able to work in the UK.

> Does anyone have any experience of this type of scenario? Is it
technically
    > possible?

Yup. If you have all the crap together it's possible. The last person who went
through this process a couple of weeks ago at the consulate in Washington had his
visa in six days but I have heard of them being able to do it same-day if you wait.
Look into how quickly you can get the marriage certificate.

> Please tell me if this plan is really impossible, otherwise my fiance will then
    > have to spend many months apply for a uk based fiance visa, we both marry in the uk
    > (he will be unable to work on a fiance visa) and then I understand it can take up
    > to a year to get the marriage visa after we are married....is this true?

My understanding of the process is that it's a two-stage thing and the change from
fiance to spouse is very quick, it's the permanent leave to remain that takes longer.
But I've never gone through it myself and I'm not that familiar with it so you
shouldn't take my word for it!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old May 23rd 2002, 3:20 pm
S.M.

What you have described is only possible if your US Citizen fiance if from the
area covered by the New York Consulate. You should go to theier website to see if
you qualify.

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/guid...ent_Spouse.asp

Also

It is possible to enter the UK on a fiance visa (you can get this issued on the same
day if you go to the British Consulate in person and have all the documents together)
AND THEN get married in the UK.

You can then go to the IND office in Croydon (or 1 of the other PEO)and recieve a 1
year spouse visa (Further Leave to Remain) on the same day as well.
S.M

Old May 23rd 2002, 10:20 pm
Lucky

Thanks for the responses so far.....I am now beginning to realise that our "plan"
might actually be feasible! Thankfully the NY consulate does cover my fiance's
territory.

Just another question about when we go in person to the NY consulate to get the
marriage visa...I know I need to take a list of born in the UK although I became a UK
citizen many years ago as my mother has always been British. I was born in a country
that does not routinely issue birth certificates - could this affect the visa
application? I do have a certificate confirming my UK status (certificate of
registration) - if I take the original of that, would that satisfy the authorities?

Again, thanks in advance!

Old May 23rd 2002, 10:20 pm
Lucky

Thanks for the responses so far.....I am now beginning to realise that our "plan"
might actually be feasible! Thankfully the NY consulate does cover my fiance's
territory.

Just another question about when we go in person to the NY consulate to get the
marriage visa...I know I need to take a list of documents as long as my arm. The
problem is that I was not actually born in the UK although I became a UK citizen many
years ago as my mother has always been British. I was born in a country that does not
routinely issue birth certificates - could this affect the visa application? I do
have a certificate confirming my UK status (certificate of registration) - if I take
the original of that, would that satisfy the authorities?

Again, thanks in advance!

p.s. apologies for sending this post again, but I accidentally deleted some text from
the previous one

Old May 26th 2002, 10:20 pm
Mg

If your fiance applies for a fiance visa in NY, it is possible to get it the same
day. He will be allowed into the UK for 6 months but is unable to work "legally".

After you are married he can go to the Immigration office for temporary residency,
which again will be done while you wait.

Before the 12 months is up, send verything off to Croydon and sit and wait and wait
and wait and wait!!! Don't make any travel plans until everything is approved as
there is no guarantee how long it will take.

Hope this helps!

--
For information on all airports and airfields in the Northwest of England, visit
http://fly.to/northwest-spotters. Alternatively join the Northwest-Spotters mailing
list at www.yahoogroups.com/group/northwest-spotters
"Lucky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Here is my situation: My US citizen fiance is planning on coming over to visit me
    > in the UK later in the year on a tourist visa. We then plan to
go
    > over to New York for a short break together, (me going on a tourist visa) where we
    > hope to get married. We then plan to go straight over to the UK embassy in New York
    > in person and apply for a UK based marriage visa so
that
    > we can then both return to the UK to live. My "husband" will then
hopefully
    > be able to work in the UK.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience of this type of scenario? Is it
technically
    > possible?
    >
    > Also, does New York require Social Security Numbers before they will grant
a
    > marriage licence?
    >
    > Please tell me if this plan is really impossible, otherwise my fiance will then
    > have to spend many months apply for a uk based fiance visa, we both marry in the uk
    > (he will be unable to work on a fiance visa) and then I understand it can take up
    > to a year to get the marriage visa after we are married....is this true?
    >
    > Any help or advice would be much appreicated. I have already checked out all the
    > usual uk/us visa advice sites, but have been unable to find any answers to my above
    > queries.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.