UK Citizen - Bangladeshi Wife

Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:18 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizen - Bangladeshi Wife

Originally Posted by SSS_HHS
A very good suggestion - I have been applying for the last 6 months to UK based jobs before I visited the UK, during my visit to the UK and even now. The response has not been great. However, now with Surinder Singh Route, I should now widen my net and start looking at job vacancies in Ireland. I have already found several websites and have started searching for Telecoms jobs in ROI.

Obviously the last six months have been somewhat Disheartening which is why I was considering looking at lower paid but "easier" to get jobs.

I am still trying to get my head around Surinder Singh Route - is it the case that My wife and I can turn up in ROI and have 90 days to start looking for jobs?
We found with my son looking for work that he needed to be in the UK to get any interviews for jobs. They don't even look at applications when you are abroad. He signed up for temp agencies and did that for a month before finding his job
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:28 am
Just Joined

SSS_HHS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We found with my son looking for work that he needed to be in the UK to get any interviews for jobs. They don't even look at applications when you are abroad. He signed up for temp agencies and did that for a month before finding his job
Yes, I agree. I guess one of the things I have to do is manage my expectations. You see where I am now, I am in charge of a team of 30 people in one of the largest mobile operators in Bangladesh. It would be absolutely amazing to match this job like for like in the UK - but presently I am trying to match my cross transferable skills with other job vacancies. The realisation (over the last 6 months) that I might need to drop my expectations is also giving me a true dose of reality.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 2:03 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I agree. I guess one of the things I have to do is manage my expectations. You see where I am now, I am in charge of a team of 30 people in one of the largest mobile operators in Bangladesh. It would be absolutely amazing to match this job like for like in the UK - but presently I am trying to match my cross transferable skills with other job vacancies. The realisation (over the last 6 months) that I might need to drop my expectations is also giving me a true dose of reality.
Sad but true.
Make sure to get official translations/conversions of your qualifications too.
I'm sure if you have skills that an agency could find temp work that may lead to full time work. Another big thing that held my son back was lack of written references. So take some with you if you can. The temp agency said after working a few places they could use the reports from those employers as references for my son.
He ended up with a really good graduate program that has been wonderful pay wise and they keep sending him for more qualifications too.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Great advice and I will take it onboard
Old Sep 9th 2012, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

How practical and feasible is this option? Could I change once in the UK or as my wife now (hypothetically speaking!) has a EEA/EU residence permit will the UKBA option be completely closed to her?
She can change to UK immigration rules, but you might want to check to see if your wife has to go back home to apply for a spouse visa. UK immigration rules and EEA free worker movement, are two different sets of immigration laws; one belong to the UK and the other, to the EU. They don't mix i.e. time spent in the UK under EU rules will not count towards her '5 years to ILR', under UK rules.

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
At the same time why don't you just apply for jobs that will pay the required amount, or even a full time and a part time one for the 6 months needed.
I agree. There are lots of jobs in the UK and ROI is in a worse state than the UK. Come in, take any job (or two) to make the £18,600 for six months; then use the UK immigration route. You can look for dream type jobs, while you are in the UK. Just make sure that every one of your 6 month pay slip/s, show that you are making £18,600 per year. You can apply for a visit visa for 6 months for your wife and get health insurance to cover any health problems while she in the UK on this visa.

That's the 'no risk' option from any changes. Once in on a spouse visa, your wife can work and you can then use both wages to meet income requirements, for her next visa in 30 months time.

Last edited by formula; Sep 9th 2012 at 11:35 am.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think I read a thread that said the amount was 3 x the salary requirement, so you can do the maths (but don't take my word for it -
If you don't earn £18,600pa in the UK, then you can use savings to make up the rest.

From what I have read, this savings seems to be:-
  • deduct your annual salary in the UK from £18,600.00
  • then multiple that difference by 2.5
  • then add on £16,000.00
to get the amount of saving you have to have held for 6 months. If you are helped with this savings, then it has to be a gift and not a loan.

Last edited by formula; Sep 9th 2012 at 11:32 am.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Back in the early 90s, some new neighbours of mine who have now become lifetime friends, returned from South Africa. Like you, he had a job where he was in charge of a lot of people in SA. In the UK, he took a job driving a tractor. While doing that job he started his business; which meant he could then afford to stop driving the tractors and get a great lifestyle for his family.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by formula
Back in the early 90s, some new neighbours of mine who have now become lifetime friends, returned from South Africa. Like you, he had a job where he was in charge of a lot of people in SA. In the UK, he took a job driving a tractor. While doing that job he started his business; which meant he could then afford to stop driving the tractors and get a great lifestyle for his family.
Yes I have understood the point
Old Sep 9th 2012, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good. You have already worked hard to get where you are and you will be able to get back to that again. £18,600 is easily obtainable for those who are prepared to work.

The EU route is one that will be used by the "entitled to" class. The same ones who will be back on the forums moaning when all the welfare cuts bite and/or when the EU door is shut.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Good. You have already worked hard to get where you are and you will be able to get back to that again. £18,600 is easily obtainable for those who are prepared to work.

The EU route is one that will be used by the "entitled to" class. The same ones who will be back on the forums moaning when all the welfare cuts bite and/or when the EU door is shut.
To be honest from what I have seen and heard £18,600 is not much of an income for living on in the UK. I would want to be in a position where I am working harder to earn more than that. Presently I work about 11 hours a day with two days off but one of those days I am kind of working from home.

If I went down the EU route it would not be because I feel that I am "entitled" to anything other than simply wanting my wife with me when I travel. We are newly married (just over a year) and we still wish to be together. Getting benefits from the government is not something that really interests me as once again it won't give me the income I desire.

Other than the risk of the cancellation of freedom of travel to other EEA countries, the "Surinder Singh Route" seems a simpler route to achieve my goals much quicker.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:50 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I am still trying to get my head around Surinder Singh Route - is it the case that My wife and I can turn up in ROI and have 90 days to start looking for jobs?
Depending on her own nationality, it's possible your non-EEA wife may need an EEA visa to accompany you, in this case an Irish visa for settling with you in Ireland. You'll have to research it, because there is some disagreement on the need for this for some countries. It's possible this one may be needed (?) - Look under "Family Member of Irish Citizen - visa application document required".
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...qs?view=Binary

The EEA citizen has 90 days to find work in the EEA country. Then you (or both of you) must work for at least 6 months before you move back to the UK. Before moving, your non-EEA wife will need to apply for an EEA Family Permit, which is free & requires you to prove your relationship & that you as the EEA citizen have been working for the necessary time in an EEA country.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eu...family-permit/

Also check out more specific Guidance:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...qs?view=Binary

£18,600 is easily obtainable for those who are prepared to work.
Not necessarily. There are those here who strongly disagree with you.

Again, not necessarily. Naturally there is great disagreement with such a characterisation of repatriating Brits.

If I went down the EU route it would not be because I feel that I am "entitled" to anything other than simply wanting my wife with me when I travel. We are newly married (just over a year) and we still wish to be together. Getting benefits from the government is not something that really interests me as once again it won't give me the income I desire.

Other than the risk of the cancellation of freedom of travel to other EEA countries, the "Surinder Singh Route" seems a simpler route to achieve my goals much quicker.
Exactly.

Last edited by WEBlue; Sep 10th 2012 at 8:39 pm. Reason: Clarification
Old Sep 11th 2012, 7:40 am
Just Joined

WEBlue,

Thank you very much for this it is very helpful. My wife is a Bangladeshi citizen so I think she will need some form of short stay visa when entering ROI.

Hopefully, once my wife comes to the UK and is here on a resident permit, she then has to wait 5 years for citizenship - is that correct.

Also, is she she allowed to travel out of the UK in that 5 years and if so how much time is allowed?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:47 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much for this it is very helpful. My wife is a Bangladeshi citizen so I think she will need some form of short stay visa when entering ROI.
Yes, you may be right. You could ask on immigrationboards.com if you can't find a clear answer to that.

Hopefully, once my wife comes to the UK and is here on a resident permit, she then has to wait 5 years for citizenship - is that correct.
Correct.

Also, is she she allowed to travel out of the UK in that 5 years and if so how much time is allowed?
I have been researching this too. After lots of searching, I found this:
PERMANENT RESIDENCE

EEA nationals who exercise treaty rights for five years become permanent residents automatically at that point provided that there were no excess absences. Residence is not broken by absences of less than six months in any twelve month period or by a single absence of up to twelve months which is due to pregnancy, illness, vocational training or an overseas posting. Proof would be required. They may apply for a document certifying permanent residence with form EEA3. It is not compulsory but would be advantageous as it shows that the holder no longer needs to be a qualified person to reside in the UK.

Family members of EEA nationals acquire permanent residence automatically when they have resided in the UK as a family membe of an EEA national for five years, the same rules on absences apply. It does not matter whether or when a residence card was issued. Previous residence with leave to remain under the national rules does not count. Family members may apply for a permanent residence card using form EEA4 and it is advantageous as it shows that the holder may remain in the UK without needing to be a family member of an EEA national and for the same reasons as holding a residence card.

Holders of permanent residence lose this status if absent from the UK for longer than two years.
http://www.ukresident.com/content/ar...eea-rules-r117

Last edited by WEBlue; Sep 11th 2012 at 12:01 pm. Reason: incomplete quote
Old Sep 11th 2012, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

WEBlue,

Once again thank you for sharing your research with me, it is much appreciated.