Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

UK born & Passport now Australian Citizen wanting to return to UK

UK born & Passport now Australian Citizen wanting to return to UK

Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

AlexGlading is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile UK born & Passport now Australian Citizen wanting to return to UK

Hi there

Thanks in advance for any assistance

I was born in the UK and left for sunny Oz 8 years ago. I became an Aussie citizen in 2013 and am now wanting to return to UK with my Australian partner (we're not married, been together over 2 years)..

1) Am I Ok to return to the UK with my British passport and live? Do I need to do anything immigration wise before I return to the UK?

2) What kind of visa would my partner require to enter the UK?

Thanks!
Alex
Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK born & Passport now Australian Citizen wanting to return to UK

She needs a settlement visa which YOU must sponsor.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

YOU need to fulfill financial, relationship and accommodation requirements. Financial requirements are below:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ugust_2015.pdf

Alternatively, if a) your partner has European or British ancestry and can obtain a European or British passport you could try the Surindher Singh route (search this forum for a thread relating to this route) or b) does she qualify for an Ancestry visa?
Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

Hi there

Thanks so much for your reply...

(I'm female Alex! - lots of people think I'm a boy because of my name! lol )

No, as far as I know he doesn't qualify for an ancestry visa..

So this is great info and will go check this all out..

Thanks again, really appreciate it..
Regards
Alex
Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexGlading
Hi there

Thanks in advance for any assistance

I was born in the UK and left for sunny Oz 8 years ago. I became an Aussie citizen in 2013 and am now wanting to return to UK with my Australian partner (we're not married, been together over 2 years)..

1) Am I Ok to return to the UK with my British passport and live? Do I need to do anything immigration wise before I return to the UK?
Providing your British passport is valid then you need only book your flight. As an Australian citizen you will also need a valid Australian passport in order to leave Australia.

2) What kind of visa would my partner require to enter the UK?

Thanks!
Alex
SanDiegogirl has already outlined the basics regarding sponsoring your partner for a settlement visa. If your partner has any recent European ancestry (parents, grandparents or great-grandparents) then it would be worth investigating his entitlement to an ancestry visa or EU/EEA passport as this would save both hassle and money.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi BritInParis

Thanks for your reply...

I'm already an Aussie citizen (2013) - that's why I was initially asking if I needed to do anything additional with respect to my immigration status before I left Australia and returned to the UK... But you've answered that query, so thank you...

I also did a quick check via the gov.uk website and they confirm based on the fact that I was born pre-1983 and in the UK..

Yes, unfortunately I don't think there's any UK / European connections in my partner's family, so we'll have to go the more expensive route

Thanks again for your help!
Regards
Alex
Old Apr 20th 2016, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexGlading
Hi BritInParis

Yes, unfortunately I don't think there's any UK / European connections in my partner's family, so we'll have to go the more expensive route

Thanks again for your help!
Regards
Alex
..... or you could go the Surinder Singh route whereby you move to another EU country, live and work there for several months, and then apply for an EU Family permit to the UK since you, the Brit, has exercised treaty rights by working in another EU country.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 12:09 am
Just Joined

Oooooo... I see... That's something very interesting to consider...

Didn't realise we could do that - that's great...

Thank you for that Sandiegogirl