Wikiposts

U.S V's U.K passports?

Old Sep 27th 2004, 6:37 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S V's U.K passports?

hi Celtic. yes I am going to get BOTH British and American passports for my children. (thanks for the suggestion to not wait, Jeremy. I was told that it can be done same day for US citizens but have not checked for myself.) We wont be leaving untill August 2005 due to letting the kids finish out this school year and also to have time for pet passports and selling our house. I myself have never become an American citizen just because I never saw the need. I have only ever reguarded England as my country. ( pitifully loyal huh?) BUT now that I am going home I know I have to get US citizenship for a few reasons. First because my hubby and children have US citizenship and if for any reason we would need to come back, even if just for a visit , it would make things easier. I dont see myself coming back though. and also I have worked here for many years and so am entitled to social security when I retire if I get citizenship. If I dont ,then they would not have to give it to me. When do you think you are returning Celtic?
Old Sep 27th 2004, 6:41 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

BTW Jeremy, I have my forms for US citizenship, but have not finished them yet. Would you happen to know how long it generally takes to get citizenship in the US?? Thanks
Old Sep 27th 2004, 7:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callë
BTW Jeremy, I have my forms for US citizenship, but have not finished them yet. Would you happen to know how long it generally takes to get citizenship in the US?? Thanks
Depends where you end up sending it, but people have been saying around a year after they meet the requirements etc...
Old Sep 27th 2004, 9:29 am
Home at last

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends where you end up sending it, but people have been saying around a year after they meet the requirements etc...

:scared: a year!!! will they grant it to me if I've already gone back? or do I have to be here?
Old Sep 27th 2004, 9:54 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

BUT now that I am going home I know I have to get US citizenship for a few reasons. First because my hubby and children have US citizenship and if for any reason we would need to come back, even if just for a visit , it would make things easier.

When do you think you are returning Celtic?
Hi Calle it's nothing definite i've just been horribly homesick for months and thought "y'know what lets move to U.K ! " terribly niave now that I'm finding out about all the ins and outs . I was hoping for fall 2005 too at the soonest.
Also just like you i'm now realizing that getting U.S citizenship maybe for the best came upon this revelation last night lol
and then all the visa stuff for hubby sounds so complicated especially as we'd be arriving back to u.k with nowwhere to live!!! prob not a good idea, though i did find out that visa's are rarely refused on "maintenance & accomodation" grounds alone, knowing our luck we'd get some sod who'd reckon otherwise doing our paperwork lol
Anyway for now , unfortunately I'm just gonna have to get used to the idea that I may not be dragging us all to britain anytime soon but what i can do is get all our paperwork/ passports etc in order
Good luck with selling your house!
Celtic Angel
Old Sep 27th 2004, 9:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

:scared: a year!!! will they grant it to me if I've already gone back? or do I have to be here?
I don't know the details to be honest, but look it up at www.uscis.gov should be an faq all about the process...and I think you have to be here, don't know if u have to be here while waiting for it to be processed, probably do, but you have an interview, you have the ceremony, and get a certificate, and then straight after, you can get a passport...quickest way to get citizenship is sign up for the armed forces and get stationed in a war zone, that'll speed it right up, but probably not the best reason for joining up...
Old Sep 27th 2004, 10:04 am
Home at last

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Hi Calle it's nothing definite i've just been horribly homesick for months and thought "y'know what lets move to U.K ! " terribly niave now that I'm finding out about all the ins and outs . I was hoping for fall 2005 too at the soonest.
Also just like you i'm now realizing that getting U.S citizenship maybe for the best came upon this revelation last night lol
and then all the visa stuff for hubby sounds so complicated especially as we'd be arriving back to u.k with nowwhere to live!!! prob not a good idea, though i did find out that visa's are rarely refused on "maintenance & accomodation" grounds alone, knowing our luck we'd get some sod who'd reckon otherwise doing our paperwork lol
Anyway for now , unfortunately I'm just gonna have to get used to the idea that I may not be dragging us all to britain anytime soon but what i can do is get all our paperwork/ passports etc in order
Good luck with selling your house!
Celtic Angel

Sounds like you still have some soul searching to do on the matter. you are very wise to get your paperwork in order. that way at least youll be ready if you decide for sure. I have decided for sure, but now I have to get everything sorted and believe me there is loads to do. I'm trying to prioritize it right but I just found out that it may take longer than I thought to acheive my US citizenship. I better get a move on it and hope for the best. I have what, about 10 months. maybe I can just write 'rush' on the envelope.
good luck on what you decide. but if it keeps talking to your mind, you might not want to put it off too long. calle
Old Sep 27th 2004, 10:10 am
Home at last

Originally Posted by Bob
I don't know the details to be honest, but look it up at www.uscis.gov should be an faq all about the process...and I think you have to be here, don't know if u have to be here while waiting for it to be processed, probably do, but you have an interview, you have the ceremony, and get a certificate, and then straight after, you can get a passport...quickest way to get citizenship is sign up for the armed forces and get stationed in a war zone, that'll speed it right up, but probably not the best reason for joining up...

I should probably owe you a thank you for opening my eyes to the fact that it may take longer than I thought. I shall get on it first thing in the morning. PRIORITY!
No... I dont think I want to join the service, thank you.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 10:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

I should probably owe you a thank you for opening my eyes to the fact that it may take longer than I thought. I shall get on it first thing in the morning. PRIORITY!
No... I dont think I want to join the service, thank you.
Hehe...no probs....and it all surprised me a bit too really...not at that stage myself, but certainly something to think about that's for sure.
Goodluck with it though
Old Sep 27th 2004, 12:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you still have some soul searching to do on the matter. you are very wise to get your paperwork in order. that way at least youll be ready if you decide for sure. I have decided for sure, but now I have to get everything sorted and believe me there is loads to do. I'm trying to prioritize it right but I just found out that it may take longer than I thought to acheive my US citizenship. I better get a move on it and hope for the best. I have what, about 10 months. maybe I can just write 'rush' on the envelope.
good luck on what you decide. but if it keeps talking to your mind, you might not want to put it off too long. calle
As a general point, you may need to check whether there is a requirement to remain US resident right up until you're sworn in. Many countries do have a requirement like this, although the UK does not (at least not for legally married spouses of British citizens - it does have in other cases).

Asking for priority because you're planning to move overseas might not be accepted as a valid reason by USCIS and might even annoy them and give a reason to knock back your application.

If you have decided that US citizenship is necessary for your future, I suggest you be prepared to wait for it to get processed. The UK will still be there six or 12 months later.

A further point on US citizenship - if you have any kind of criminal record do contact an experienced immigration attorney before making any application.

Jeremy
Old Sep 28th 2004, 2:18 am
Home at last

Originally Posted by JAJ
As a general point, you may need to check whether there is a requirement to remain US resident right up until you're sworn in. Many countries do have a requirement like this, although the UK does not (at least not for legally married spouses of British citizens - it does have in other cases).

Asking for priority because you're planning to move overseas might not be accepted as a valid reason by USCIS and might even annoy them and give a reason to knock back your application.

If you have decided that US citizenship is necessary for your future, I suggest you be prepared to wait for it to get processed. The UK will still be there six or 12 months later.

A further point on US citizenship - if you have any kind of criminal record do contact an experienced immigration attorney before making any application.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. I am getting on it today. I wont be leaving til next August so I'm just going to hope it will be processed by then. If not I may have to take a later flight. It should be pretty straightforward. I am married to USC and have been here for years. and no, I dont have a criminal record.