U.S. citizen seeking dual citizenship by decent

Old May 8th 2015, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Rome Douglas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default U.S. citizen seeking dual citizenship by decent

Hi All,
I'm searching for advise on becoming a dual citizen. I'm U.S. born (1964), My father was American, my mother was British. They were married in the UK 1n 1955 while my father was stationed there during the Korean war. My mother came to america and became a US citizen. In the 1990's my mother and father divorced and my mother returned to the UK where she reinstated her citizenship and was then a dual citizen. I travelled there to visit her and my extended family many times. My mother passed away in 2002 and since then I've made efforts to get my citizenship even traveling to the main passport offices in Peterborough with all of my and my mothers documentation and was told I needed to apply from the U.S. Tomorrow would have been my moms birthday and I would like to honor her request that I do all I can to get my dual citizenship. I plan to be in the UK more in the coming years working with my cousins and spending time with my auntie and friends. Any advise on where to begin this process/complete it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and best to all!!
Old May 8th 2015, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S. citizen seeking dual citizenship by decent

Start here:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

You may also like to read up on British citizenship by descent to make sure you fulfill all requirements

British Citizenship by Descent : British Expat Wiki
Old May 8th 2015, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Thank you SanDiegogirl! I'll begin there!
Old May 8th 2015, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

It appears that the overseas passport link is only for current UK citizens.
Continuing to search if there are any other tips out there It would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 8th 2015, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rome Douglas
It appears that the overseas passport link is only for current UK citizens.
Continuing to search if there are any other tips out there It would be greatly appreciated!
While I believe you are already a British citizen since you were born to a British mother (and the laws have changed so allow mothers to pass on their citizenship) and can go ahead and get your passport, you can register yourself as a British citizen and then get your passport:

Read the following:

https://www.gov.uk/register-british-...british-mother
Old May 8th 2015, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi SD Girl,
I had just read that but was still unclear. It's been some time since I looked into it and at the time, if you were born before 1983 your father was the parent that had to be the citizen. is this relatively new? Also during the process is it clear that you are not renouncing your U.S. citizenship but seeking to acquire dual Citizenship? Thanks again for your help!!
Old May 8th 2015, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rome Douglas
Hi SD Girl,
I had just read that but was still unclear. It's been some time since I looked into it and at the time, if you were born before 1983 your father was the parent that had to be the citizen. is this relatively new? Also during the process is it clear that you are not renouncing your U.S. citizenship but seeking to acquire dual Citizenship? Thanks again for your help!!
You most certainly do not have to renounce your US citizenship - there are thousands of dual US/UK citizens.

The rule about mothers passing on their citizenship came in in the early 2000's I believe. Bit more info on the subject below taken from the Wiki site British Nationality Law

Children born abroad to British mothers before 1983[edit]

There are two paths through which children of British mothers and children of British fathers born abroad before 1983 can acquire a passport, and the differences have a bearing on costs. Children of British mothers born before 1983 may require a nationality registration fee, which (as of 22 November 2010) is free (although they must pay £80 for a citizenship ceremony). They also must undergo a background check into their eligibility and be of "good character" and attend the citizenship ceremony.[10]

[I]Children born abroad after 1982 to a British mother or a British father before or after 1983.

Those born abroad to a proven British father before or after 1983[dubious – discuss] or born after 1982 to a British mother need not pay any nationality registration fees, undergo a good character check, or attend a civil ceremony as they are considered automatically British and can apply for a passport directly through the Identity and Passport Services (IPS).[11][citation needed] Again, this only applies if the parents have been married or marry. If the parents were not married at the time of birth, then the child must apply before their 18th birthday to be registered at the Home Secretary's discretion.

This difference in application for a passport and also nationality has been criticised by the National Council for Civil Liberties and CAMPAIGNS on the basis of alleged discrimination on the basis of age and gender based on descent through a mother or a father.[12]
[edit]
Old May 8th 2015, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

So Very Helpful... Thank you! Just now reading about Referees and Biometric Identity required with the UKM form. Accessibility to the requirements like the Biometric scan must be commonplace in the UK. Looking in the States for one now. Also must have one referee of british citizenship to fill out reference to my character. I see why the process is long but with your help, it's begun. Thanks for your help and Time...

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...tizen-form-ukm
Old May 9th 2015, 12:01 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

When you were born British mothers were unable to pass on their citizenship. Although the law changed in 1983 the changes didn't apply retrospectively on an automatic basis. As such you'll need to be registered with the Home Office under Section 4C of the British Nationality Act 1981 using Form UKM. The application is free but you'll need to attend a citizenship ceremony at your local British consulate to pledge your allegiance to the Queen and the United Kingdom for which a ceremony fee of £80 will be charged. Once you attend your ceremony you'll be registered as a British citizen by descent and be given your registration certificate. You can then use this to apply for your British passport.

A new requirement is for all applicants to provide their biometric data as part of the application process. This is yet to be rolled out to the United States however. Once you make your application the Home Office will write to you and inform you of where you will need to go to do this.

This will not affect your US citizenship nor you will be required to renounce your US citizenship. British and US nationality law both permit dual citizenship.
Old May 9th 2015, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Hey BritInParis, Thank you so much!! Between you and SanDiegoGirl the pieces are now in place to begin. I'll keep you both posted.

Very best regards!
Old May 13th 2015, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Yogibear1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we just did this last year after returning from the U.S. we downloaded the UKM application form from the web site and filled it in, all we had to send was mothers birth certificate, passport(old expired) had to have a friend fill out the referee, ( old school friend and minister) bit and £80 for ceromony, took all six months to the day and ceromony at local registers office and done. Now my husband is a naturalised British citizen and can claim a British passport, and does not have to give up his American one.
Old May 13th 2015, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi Yogibear1961,
Thanks for your help! Did you send a copy of "your" passport and pages? Or your original?
I'm traveling this summer and can't give mine up right now.
I have my moms passport but only a copy of her birth certificate... Working on finding the original. Did you send the 80 pounds at the time of the application and if so did you use a credit card or check with that days exchange rate? Been at it all week... Just found my birth certificate last night!
Old May 13th 2015, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Yogibear1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rome Douglas,
Had to send the original passport and birth certificate, mum in laws original birth certificate, and an old expired passport as my mother in law has not travelled abroad in years. Sent an English cheque for £80 as we had already come back to UK as my mother was sickening is from the UKM guide which you can find online at ww.gov.uk
Your passport; and
●● Your full birth certificate; and
●● Your mother’s full birth certificate; and either
●● Her certificate of naturalisation or registration as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies (or, before 1 January 1949, as a British subject); or
●● Papers showing her legal adoption; or
●● Her expired citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies passport
The thing is you have to send original documents and it did take the whole six months and they sent my husbands passport and other docs back only a week before the ceromony date, so you have to make sure you are not going to travel in that time, also take copies of every thing your send. It may be a different process if you are not in the UK, I don't know. All I can tell you of is our experience. Hope this helps.
Old May 13th 2015, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

Hi, great info and very helpful!!
Thanks for your time...