U.K Citizen with pregnant American girlfriend.

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.K Citizen with pregnant American girlfriend.

The following is from the UK Border Agency website:

If you are planning to come to the UK to get married or register a civil partnership with someone who is already settled or settling here, and you want to stay in the UK afterwards, you will need to obtain a visa as a fiance(e) or proposed civil partner. Both you and your partner must be aged 21 or over, and you will need to show evidence that you plan to marry or register your civil partnership within 6 months of your arrival. See the Fiance(e)s and proposed civil partners section.

Note: Both persons need to be 21 and over

A very sensible law I would say.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The following is from the UK Border Agency website:

If you are planning to come to the UK to get married or register a civil partnership with someone who is already settled or settling here, and you want to stay in the UK afterwards, you will need to obtain a visa as a fiance(e) or proposed civil partner. Both you and your partner must be aged 21 or over, and you will need to show evidence that you plan to marry or register your civil partnership within 6 months of your arrival. See the Fiance(e)s and proposed civil partners section.

Note: Both persons need to be 21 and over

A very sensible law I would say.
Interesting it still says that after this ruling last year.

http://jcwi.wordpress.com/2011/10/10...other-victory/

The question I would ask is this: if two Brits under 21 want to get married they can, so why can't a Brit marry someone from another country that isn't 21? FYI, I have no stake in this situation since I wasn't considering marriage at that age, but I do think it seems more than a bit discriminatory.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Feb 23rd 2012 at 9:14 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Interesting it still says that after this ruling last year.

http://jcwi.wordpress.com/2011/10/10...other-victory/

The question I would ask is this: if two Brits under 21 want to get married they can, so why can't a Brit marry someone from another country that isn't 21? FYI, I have no stake in this situation since I wasn't considering marriage at that age, but I do think it seems more than a bit discriminatory.
You would appear to be correct in that there has been a revision of age criteria

Review of age decision

Following a Supreme Court judgement immigration rules have been laid in parliament to reinstate a minimum age of 18 for a spouse, civil partner, fiancé(e), proposed civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner, and his/her sponsor to qualify for entry clearance, leave to enter, leave to remain or variation of leave on the basis of the applicant's relationship.

If you were refused a visa solely on age grounds alone, between 27 November 2008 and October 2011 and you have not since made a successful application, you could seek a review of that decision. For further information see the Review of age decision page.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 9:50 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Again - fair to who?

You are correct, I do not have a feel for either incomes or cost of living in the UK, so I don't know if the level that is proposed is high or low. I agree that the level set for the USA is probably too low in general and is considerably low for some areas of the USA where the cost of living is significantly higher than other areas.

At the end of the day, where to draw the line is a subjective issue and reasonable people will have reasonable disagreements about it.

Regards, jEff

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Not sure what you mean by your last sentence Jeff. I don't know how aware you are of typical salaries in the UK, but setting £26k to £31k as a required income will end up excluding around 50% of the population. How fair is it that only the upper half of society would be allowed to bring their loved ones to live there?
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 10:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You would appear to be correct in that there has been a revision of age criteria

Review of age decision

Following a Supreme Court judgement immigration rules have been laid in parliament to reinstate a minimum age of 18 for a spouse, civil partner, fiancé(e), proposed civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner, and his/her sponsor to qualify for entry clearance, leave to enter, leave to remain or variation of leave on the basis of the applicant's relationship.

If you were refused a visa solely on age grounds alone, between 27 November 2008 and October 2011 and you have not since made a successful application, you could seek a review of that decision. For further information see the Review of age decision page.
It was originally set to 21 due to forced marriages, mainly from India from what I had read.