Wikiposts

traveling with US spouse on a spousal visa

Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

nic_in_london is on a distinguished road
Default traveling with US spouse on a spousal visa

Hi Everyone

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this question, my USC husband has been offered a job in the UK so we are going to move back to the UK, using a spousal visa as we want to stay there permanently.(I'm the UK wife)

We have the sufficient financial resources to do this as I know his salary will not be considered for the visa. However, we would like him to start as soon as we get the visa but I still have work commitments in the USA for a couple of months. Do I have to travel with him to the UK? If I do have to travel with him to the UK, will there be any problems if I come back to the States to wrap up my work/house/dogs etc for a couple of months?

Thanks for any help
Nic
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: traveling with US spouse on a spousal visa

If hubby is entering on a spouse visa, you either have to be in the UK or you have to travel with him. He can't enter on a spouse visa with you living somewhere else.

Once in the country I don't see that you travelling outside the UK will cause any problems.

Another way to do it would be for his company to sponsor him for a Tier 2 work visa ?
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 9:57 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Another way to do it would be for his company to sponsor him for a Tier 2 work visa ?
Might be easier to do that and then switch to a partner visa once you're both in the UK together.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

I'm not sure we can ask them to get him a work visa, Jobs are hard to come by right now and we just dont want to mess this up. I thought that I would have to travel with him and thats not a problem but I just dont want to get stopped at the airport when I go back to the states either in LA or london if this is something I shouldnt be doing.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 10:42 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nic_in_london
I'm not sure we can ask them to get him a work visa, Jobs are hard to come by right now and we just dont want to mess this up. I thought that I would have to travel with him and thats not a problem but I just dont want to get stopped at the airport when I go back to the states either in LA or london if this is something I shouldnt be doing.
Providing you travel with your husband on your initial entry then there's nothing to stop you from returning to the US to finish putting your affairs in order. You're the British citizen after all.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

So he has been offered a job but the employer is not willing to sponsor him?

...... and he has accepted the job based on him getting a spouse visa via you?
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

we dont know if they would not be willing - I'm hesitant to ask. I have been looking to move back to the UK for a while, I have my own business out here in the USA, which I can easily move to the UK, we just didnt want to move without a Job offer for my husband, and yes they are aware of the spousal visa situation. Either way, I know my husbands job offer has no bearing on the spousal visa, but we do have savings in excess of the required amount (in an account which we've had for more than 6 months and can be accessed immediately). We've been married for nearly 10 yr and everything is legitimate, we just want to move back
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

we dont know if they would not be willing - I'm hesitant to ask. I have been looking to move back to the UK for a while, I have my own business out here in the USA, which I can easily move to the UK, we just didnt want to move without a Job offer for my husband, and yes they are aware of the spousal visa situation. Either way, I know my husbands job offer has no bearing on the spousal visa, but we do have savings in excess of the required amount (in an account which we've had for more than 6 months and can be accessed immediately). We've been married for nearly 10 yr and everything is legitimate, we just want to move back
I was only wondering how they could offer him a job (him being a US citizen) without offering a work visa - but of course, if they were aware of the spouse visa route, then they don't need to.