Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Title 'Miss' on letters for proof of relationship for spouse visa extension

Title 'Miss' on letters for proof of relationship for spouse visa extension

Old Oct 26th 2020, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

sun777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Title 'Miss' on letters for proof of relationship for spouse visa extension

Hello!

I have a quick question.
I am using title 'Miss' even after marriage so I am Miss.. on most of the letters I have received including the letters from GP and banks.
One of the reasons I am using Miss is that I had the bank account and registered GP before marriage and I didn't bother changing the title after marriage because I had to visit the bank and the GP.
The other reason is my surname is not the same as my husband's surname so I thought Mrs could not be applied in my case. For example, me and my husband aren't Mr. and Mrs Smith. (Smith is not his real surname.)
I didn't see the title as just the marital status.

This was never a problem but now I am anxious that I might be wrong.
Would it be a problem that my title is 'Miss' on the letters for proof of relationship for spouse visa extension?

Also, my BRP expires on 5 Jan 2021. Just to make sure, is it ok to apply for (submit) spouse visa extension on 5 Dec?
It appears that I need to make an appointment with some place afterwards. I am worried that there might not be a slot available.

Thank you for advice in advance!

Last edited by sun777; Oct 26th 2020 at 8:22 pm. Reason: typo
Old Oct 26th 2020, 9:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Title 'Miss' on letters for proof of relationship for spouse visa extension

So long as you have a valid marriage certificate you can call yourself whatever you like. For all sorts of reasons, both personal and practical, it is quite common these days for a married woman to not take her husband's name, and while it is a common custom in many western countries, there is no obligation to do so, and a "change of name" when a woman gets married in the UK, and the US, is a common law practice i.e. it is legally tolerated , but is neither a right nor a requirement,

FWIW while in France it is common for a married woman to use her husband's name she cannot per se change her name to match her husband's, legally her name, for use on passport, driving licence, etc. remains her birth name.