Timeline for UK Spousal Settlement Visa

Old May 11th 2014, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

meganvwalker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Timeline for UK Spousal Settlement Visa

I am sure others have posted their timeline and story, but didn't want to assume that this wouldn't possibly be helpful for someone else. My husband and I recently went through this process, and found it very difficult to find all of the information. Various websites changed right around the same time we were starting the application and it was a bit of a nightmare. So here it is:

Status: I am from England, moved to the United States in 2000 and married my American husband. I have American Citizenship and of course British Citizenship. Applied for the Settlement Visa for my husband.
  • 29 MAR 2014 - Submitted Online Application - https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/
  • 09 April 2014 - Husband had appointment for biometrics in Atlanta
  • 11 April 2014 - Sent all paperwork for the application to Sheffield in the UK. Used the Settlement Priority service that can be purchased here: http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/usa/user_pay_services.html - this is the most recent service and did change in April 2014. The cost is $510 and this is for an application from the United States.
  • 14 April 2014 - confirmation from FedEx that the application was received and signed for.
  • 16 April 2014 - e-mail confirmation to state UK visa application has arrived safely at the UK Border Agency, Sheffield and is currently being processed.
  • 1 May 2014 - e-mail from the UK Border Agency, Sheffield to request additional documentation in support of the visa application for my husband. They requested pay slips for my salary, and bank account statements to show the wages being deposited. This was e-mailed back to them the same day.
  • 6 May 2014 - e-mail confirmation to state that a decision has been made on Your UK visa application. Your application will be dispatched shortly from the visa processing centre in Sheffield, UK. Your passport will be dispatched from the Sheffield Office and will be delivered by FedEx.
  • 9 May 2014 - passport received via FedEx, with VISA INSIDE!!! YEAH!
Started on 29th March, and received visa 9th May. So a little over a month for the entire process. Below is the address to send the application to (I found this very difficult to find), and below that is a list of the documents that we sent with the application.

International Operations and Visas
6 Millsands, Vulcan House
Sheffield
S3 8NH
United Kingdom

• Previous and Current Passport
• 2 passport photographs
• Settlement Priority Service Receipt – from VFS Global
• Cover Letter
• Biometric Appointment Letter – with Biometric Processing Stamp
• Application Information
o Printed Online Application Form
o Applicant Biographic Details Form
• Paper Version of VAF4A – Completed Form (some questions seemed different to the online version of the form, wanted to be sure they had the correct information)
• Appendix 2 – VAF4A – Financial Requirement Form
• Sponsorship Undertaking Form – SU07/12
o Proposed flight information for American spouse waiting for visa, ticket was not purchased at that point.
o Confirmed and purchased flight information for me - English spouse flying ahead first.
o Job Offer Letter for English spouse – from company in the UK
o Current Employment Confirmation letter for English spouse – from company in the US
o Rental Confirmation Letter for accommodations in the UK. This was provided by my mother in law who owns the property
• Photo copies of passport information for English spouse
o Joint Bank Account Statement for savings
o Loan Approval confirmation for loan
o Various tax returns and mortgage related paperwork
o Signed rental agreement for current accommodations
o Car ownership document in both names
o Original and copy of Marriage Certificate
o Original and copy of birth certificates
Old May 11th 2014, 5:20 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timeline for UK Spousal Settlement Visa

I know that's what is quoted on the website, and I'm sure it will get there okay, but that address is incorrect. It's actually:

Home Office
Vulcan House
6 Millsands
SHEFFIELD
S3 8NU
UNITED KINGDOM
Old May 11th 2014, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

meganvwalker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I know that's what is quoted on the website, and I'm sure it will get there okay, but that address is incorrect. It's actually:

Home Office
Vulcan House
6 Millsands
SHEFFIELD
S3 8NU
UNITED KINGDOM
Thanks BritInParis - there is a lot of conflicting information out there. This page from the UK GOV has it exactly as I did. Either way... it WILL still get there!
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...isa-in-the-usa
Old May 11th 2014, 5:27 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meganvwalker
Thanks BritInParis - there is a lot of conflicting information out there. This page from the UK GOV has it exactly as I did. Either way... it WILL still get there!
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...isa-in-the-usa
It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they don't know their own address. I'm sure it will get there okay. Vulcan House is pretty obvious.
Old May 12th 2014, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes the post codes for a single agency differ with the department. For example, the DVLA post code in Swansea is SA99 1AA for mailing your "over age 70" driving license renewal application form. If you renew online (as DH did yesterday), you send the cut up license to the same address but to post code SA99 1ZW.

Definitely will get there either way, but that could account for the post code variance. I would go with what's on the website.
Old May 12th 2014, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Started on 29th March, and received visa 9th May. So a little over a month for the entire process.
Congratulations! You must be thrilled.

Sounds like you were lucky in getting an ECO who was willing to ask for the extra evidence which you missed off the original application but is required in the rules. My advice to any one else would be to read and re-read the actual rules document (Appendix FM-SE) and try to make your own list of required evidence as well as using the one in the guidance, and the internal guidance notes, and the help of this forum.
Old May 12th 2014, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

Good luck Megan,
All the best with your move across the pond.

Your timeline to get your hubby visa is almost the same as mine to get my USC wife!

We are booked to fly back on 15July. Now back to the packing!!

Cheers
Nigel
Old May 12th 2014, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

zuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to beholdzuluswede is a splendid one to behold

I am sure others have posted their timeline and story, but didn't want to assume that this wouldn't possibly be helpful for someone else.
Thank you for posting you're timeline. It really is very helpful.
Congrats, and all the very best for your journey back.
Old May 13th 2014, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Vadio
Sometimes the post codes for a single agency differ with the department. For example, the DVLA post code in Swansea is SA99 1AA for mailing your "over age 70" driving license renewal application form. If you renew online (as DH did yesterday), you send the cut up license to the same address but to post code SA99 1ZW.

Definitely will get there either way, but that could account for the post code variance. I would go with what's on the website.
They do sometimes vary, like in the example you've given, but both those postcodes are exclusive to the DVLA i.e.

Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency
Driving Licence Renewals
Driver & Vehicle Licensing Centre
SWANSEA
SA99 1AA
Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency
Customer Service Department
SWANSEA
SA99 1ZW
Whereas the postcode quoted on the UK.GOV website for Vulcan House in Sheffield is for the other half of Millsands, not Vulcan House itself. I will always go with what Royal Mail says the postcode is since they will be invariably delivering your mail or the company who is will use their system.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Kateviss is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Timeline for UK Spousal Settlement Visa

I am new to this site.

I saw your post and all the responses, it is all very similar to my situation.

My husband is English and I american. I applied for Selttlement as a spouse.

Have all my documents ready to go. There is one major issue, I thought maybe someone on here can help.

DHL, UPS, USPS all cannot provide me with a pre-paid return shipping label. This is a big issue as UK Home office is very specific about what is required of me and how to get all my documents back safely.

UK Immigration made sure to tell me to NOT use Fedex as a return shipping provider. I am not sure the reason why this is so important. But it is the last company I have not contacted. Even if they were able to provide me with this return label, will UK immigration have an issue? They seemed very clear about it.

Yet there is no way in order to get it there AND to get it back. I am actually under a very tight schedule. My husband is in the UK, I was staying with him as a visitor. He is waiting over there for me and I have bought a return ticket for what I thought was more than enough time to send it, process, get it back and leave before my flight. The company we hired that is helping us with this whole process told me it shouldn't take more than 7 business days to process with Settlement Priority Service. So I booked considering the time to have the biometric appointment, sending the documents, processing time and receiving the documents with more than enough time to spare to get back on the plane back.

Any responses ASAP would be helpful.

Thank you so much. I am at lost for what I can do.

Last edited by Kateviss; Dec 3rd 2014 at 4:04 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

You have to set up a UPS account which you can do on-line. You include your account number when you send the documents, and UKVI use that account to return to you, and your account gets charged. You could do the same with DHL, but I understand from posts on UK-Yankee that UPS is better.

You got some very bad advice - even with priority service, it's taking more than 7 business days. For straightforward applications, there is absolutely no need to hire any company to 'help with the process'.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kateviss
I am new to this site.

I saw your post and all the responses, it is all very similar to my situation.

My husband is English and I american. I applied for Selttlement as a spouse.

Have all my documents ready to go. There is one major issue, I thought maybe someone on here can help.

DHL, UPS, USPS all cannot provide me with a pre-paid return shipping label. This is a big issue as UK Home office is very specific about what is required of me and how to get all my documents back safely.

UK Immigration made sure to tell me to NOT use Fedex as a return shipping provider. I am not sure the reason why this is so important. But it is the last company I have not contacted. Even if they were able to provide me with this return label, will UK immigration have an issue? They seemed very clear about it.

Yet there is no way in order to get it there AND to get it back. I am actually under a very tight schedule. My husband is in the UK, I was staying with him as a visitor. He is waiting over there for me and I have bought a return ticket for what I thought was more than enough time to send it, process, get it back and leave before my flight. The company we hired that is helping us with this whole process told me it shouldn't take more than 7 business days to process with Settlement Priority Service. So I booked considering the time to have the biometric appointment, sending the documents, processing time and receiving the documents with more than enough time to spare to get back on the plane back.

Any responses ASAP would be helpful.

Thank you so much. I am at lost for what I can do.
Kate, it's strange that UK immigration said not to use Fedex--Megan the OP here used Fedex, so did I /my US husband when we applied in the summer…others in other threads eg ncoomber did too I think…Maybe the rules have changed.
I do know that we had to open a Fedex account, which we did online, giving them your credit card info. When you send the package you include a return shipping label which authorizes them to charge the cost of the return poet to your credit card (you don't actually know how much it will be…) We went to an agency that was used to sending fedex things, they helped us, but it only worked because we had already opened the Fedex account.

But maybe it has all changed, and obviously you have to do as instructed by the UK immigration authorities...
Old Dec 8th 2014, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

The rules did change a few weeks ago. Fed-ex is no longer an option.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vadio
The rules did change a few weeks ago. Fed-ex is no longer an option.
Oh gosh, ok, I didn't know that!
Old Dec 17th 2014, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

sniktajoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi megan, I read your journey for getting visa. Or anybody has experience same situation.

I have few questions.

1. Did you apply visa for your husband inside of UK while he was in US?
2. What sort of visa form did you use?

any smart answer , i fully appreciate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.