Timeframe after visa application process is done

Old Nov 1st 2020, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Sir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Timeframe after visa application process is done

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, a search did not dig up an answer. I'd like to know how much time one has to play with between the day one's family visa approval/biometrics/etc. is all done, and the day one actually sets foot on British soil.

Context: I'm a UK ex-pat looking to return to the UK with my American wife of 15 years, who'd arrive on a family visa. I see there is anything between 2 - 12 weeks for the visa processing, then 2 -3 weeks more for biometrics and maybe some other to-dos. So maybe at the outside 15 weeks(?). Anyway, after all that is done and dusted, will my wife need to arrive in the UK immediately afterwards, or is there a time frame we're allowed to procrastinate in? Asking because we need to sell the house, vehicles, rent storage, etc. and need to gauge timing of it all.
Old Nov 1st 2020, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timeframe after visa application process is done

It's usually up to 12 weeks for processing (inlcuding the time for biometrics) . You can pay extra for priority service (think this can still be done from the US)
You provide a date on which you propose entering the UK.
Once your visa has been issued you are given 30 days to enter the UK to pick up your biometrics document.

(Note: you can enter the UK , get the biometrics document and then leave to finish up affairs)

Covid has meant many timescales are way out of kilter, so check up on the UK gov web sites for up to date info
Old Nov 1st 2020, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Sir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond reputeSir Spangle has a reputation beyond repute

Priority service is suspended due to Covid. The key part I was trying to find out was this:

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Once your visa has been issued you are given 30 days to enter the UK to pick up your biometrics document.
Thanks for the info.
Old Nov 7th 2020, 12:04 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The 30 days is currently 90 days as a result of COVID-19.