Tier 2??

Old Oct 16th 2017, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

prospect is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tier 2??

Hi, we are waiting to hit send on a ROA application, which will then be followed by applications for a spousal/family visa. Somewhat out of the blue, the possibility of Tier 2 sponsorship has come up.

I would love to be wrong but the way I read it this wouldn't work on the basis that his eligibility for ROA and capacity to work in the UK without immigration restriction) would preclude him from obtaining a visa, with that purpose.

And yep, I can see how getting across all of this stuff can be addictive!!
Old Oct 16th 2017, 10:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tier 2??

You're correct but why are you applying for ROA and not a British passport?
Old Oct 16th 2017, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Because from our understanding, getting a British passport is a 2 stage process that could take up to 6-9 months from Australia (born pre-83). ROA in theory should only take a few weeks.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 11:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prospect
Because from our understanding, getting a British passport is a 2 stage process that could take up to 6-9 months from Australia (born pre-83). ROA in theory should only take a few weeks.
A British passport takes about two weeks for someone born in Australia and costs a fraction of a ROA application.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

This is where I am getting really confused, BiP (sorry).

We understand that as a child (Commonwealth) born to a British mother pre 1983, my husband has the right to register as British citizen and then apply for a passport but we have read/been told that this process can take 6 months and is obviously a 2 stage process. The advice we have received is that most people in our position (with a job awaiting them in the UK, obtain the ROA and can then pursue the citizenship once in the UK). Time here is what is important.

My brother-in-law was born post 1983 and recently obtained his passport - and all within 2 weeks. We've jealous.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by prospect
This is where I am getting really confused, BiP (sorry).

We understand that as a child (Commonwealth) born to a British mother pre 1983, my husband has the right to register as British citizen and then apply for a passport but we have read/been told that this process can take 6 months and is obviously a 2 stage process. The advice we have received is that most people in our position (with a job awaiting them in the UK, obtain the ROA and can then pursue the citizenship once in the UK). Time here is what is important.

My brother-in-law was born post 1983 and recently obtained his passport - and all within 2 weeks. We've jealous.
Ah, I see. In that case then, yes, there's a registration process involved. Six months would be the top end but if time is of the essence then a ROA would be a quicker if much more expensive way to go.