Thinking of moving back - US husband

Old Dec 6th 2014, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

LMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really niceLMUK is just really nice
Default Thinking of moving back - US husband

My husband and I have just started thinking about moving back to the UK.

I'm british, he's American and we have 2 children.

I just started reading about visas and the financial requirements and I have a few questions:

We currently own our own business. We would be planning on getting jobs in the UK. How does this affect income requirements? I read that you have to have earned the required amount in the US for 6 months if you have a job offer in the UK. Does self employment income count? Also the company is technically in my husbands name for tax reasons even though we both work there - would it count as me not earning anything?

If we decide to go the savings route, do retirement accounts count? We have enough in our IRAs but it can't be accessed till we're older without penalties. We also have enough money tied up in our house but wouldn't want to sell until after we were moving which would obviously be after we had to apply for a visa.

Also, just to confirm that I only need to prove enough income to support my husband as our children are dual citizens?

Thanks
Old Dec 6th 2014, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving back - US husband

I can't help you with the salary from your husbands business route but I do know that if you are going through the savings route all your funds have to be accessible/liquid. If you are going to move anyway the best option for you is to sell your house ahead of time, do a short term rental.
Look through the thread for those refused visas. I would go with the more straight forward route.