Thinking of moving back to the uk advice needed

Old Oct 24th 2017, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

firefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nice
Default Thinking of moving back to the uk advice needed

Hi all,

I am thinking of moving back to the uk next year since we don’t have an income of 18k but do have the 62k savings. I am on a small Canadian disability pension and unable to work myself. How long do I have to keep the savings at 62k and how long before I can claim any benefits for myself. I know that my wife would not be able to claim anything.

It sucks when you have been married 14 years and can’t get back home
Old Oct 24th 2017, 12:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving back to the uk advice needed

You have to have the cash in a bank account for 6 months (can be 5 months plus two part months to make up six months total).

It just has to be your cash, in an account, so in principle there is nothing to stop you moving it between accounts, between banks, or even between countries, but you must be able to prove that you have held the money on deposit seamlessly, not at any point drawn any part of it for use, no matter how briefly.

The usual advice is that it takes three months to get benefits, but I am not sure if that is a stipulated rule, or just how long it takes to get registered, assessed and approved.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

.... and it is 62,500 GBP not 62K
Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:48 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you have £62,500 in cash savings and you have held these savings for at least six months then you can come home with your wife. Does your wife have any recent British, Irish or other European ancestry?
Old Oct 25th 2017, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

firefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nice

No she does not but when we first married she lived in the uk for 18 months before moving to Canada and she as a national insurance number from then.

I was told that I had to start from scratch sins it was 11years ago.

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you have £62,500 in cash savings and you have held these savings for at least six months then you can come home with your wife. Does your wife have any recent British, Irish or other European ancestry?
Old Oct 25th 2017, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

So do I do it from Canada or can I do it from the uk when arriving on the 6 month visa.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You apply from Canada.

Read the following to see how you apply for the visa:

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

The following document provides details as to what to show as evidence of meeting the financial requirements:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ment_Final.pdf
Old Oct 25th 2017, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You apply from Canada.

Read the following to see how you apply for the visa:

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

The following document provides details as to what to show as evidence of meeting the financial requirements:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ment_Final.pdf
But do I need to pay the health care if we are moving permanently for my wife
Old Oct 25th 2017, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by firefox
As a British Citizen returning to the UK to settle, you are entitle to use the NHS as soon as you are in the UK. With regards to other welfare benefits, you will need to pass the habitual residence test before you can get anything -

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...esidence-test/

Your non EEA national wife will need to pay the UK's immigration health surcharge (IHS) -

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application

One more point for the OP - is his wife Canadian and have at lease one grandparent born in the UK? If the answer is yes, she may qualifies for the UK Ancestry visa, which is easier to get than a spouse visa. Please see link below for details -

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa
Old Oct 25th 2017, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

So do I do it from Canada or can I do it from the uk when arriving on the 6 month visa.
Your wife cannot switch from a 6 month tourist visa to a spouse visa in the UK. Her application will be refused, money and time wasted and she may even be deported from the UK as a result.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you mean the NHS surcharge fee, then, yes, you pay that when you apply for the visa.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 3:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
But do I need to pay the health care if we are moving permanently for my wife.
If you mean the NHS surcharge fee, then, yes, you pay that when you apply for the visa.
Well his wife pays, or he pays for his wife. Returning British citizens do not pay the NHS surcharge (for themselves).
Old Oct 25th 2017, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The documents on this site may help you

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...family-members

If you have the savings now, it may be worth applying now while the pound is still weak and you won't have to transfer your savings to the UK yet.

Income or cash savings in a foreign currency will be converted to pounds sterling (£) using the closing spot exchange rate which appears on www.oanda.com on the date of application.

Last edited by mrken30; Oct 25th 2017 at 3:16 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HKG3
As a British Citizen returning to the UK to settle, you are entitle to use the NHS as soon as you are in the UK. With regards to other welfare benefits, you will need to pass the habitual residence test before you can get anything -

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...esidence-test/

Your non EEA national wife will need to pay the UK's immigration health surcharge (IHS) -

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application

One more point for the OP - is his wife Canadian and have at lease one grandparent born in the UK? If the answer is yes, she may qualifies for the UK Ancestry visa, which is easier to get than a spouse visa. Please see link below for details -

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa
Hi thanks for getting back to me but if I read it right the habitual residence test is if your coming from the EU but what about coming back from Canada after 13 years. Plus I don’t think I can get anything since we have the 62500 in savings.

My wife is originally from Malaysia and lived with me in the uk for 18 months before moving to Canada.

Do you have the link for the forms I need and if we are not successful do we get the fee back for the visa and nhs charge.

Looking forward to your reply.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

I know this is a strange question but how do you fill,in about accommodation since we are both in Canada and will be sorting it out when we get to the UK.

I have registered at the website but do I apply for my wife or does she do it herself through her own account since we are both here in Canada. proofing the funds is easy since most of the funds came through a court case.

Many thanks

Andrew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.