Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Is there a uk.gov link for the Initial Entry forms to fill out? It's not on the Wiki

Is there a uk.gov link for the Initial Entry forms to fill out? It's not on the Wiki

Old Mar 18th 2015, 6:29 pm
Goooner!

Pipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to all
Thumbs down Is there a uk.gov link for the Initial Entry forms to fill out? It's not on the Wiki

Could someone kindly point me in the direction of the Link (if there is one) to get to where I can find all the forms/paperwork I need to fill out for my Wife/Daughters visa applications for Initial Entry Clearance? I've read the great wiki on here and many of the posts and even put Initial Entry Clearance in the Search box on www.gov.uk and didn't come up with anything.

Also - does her application need only to be sent to the UK office or is there any initial interview to be held in the US? I see they offer a Priority Service - has anyone used this and know how much it can shorten the waiting process?

And one point I'm hoping someone can clear up for me - on all the previous searches on the UK.GOV website is always talks about a person wanting to enter the UK to be with their Spouse i.e. British Citizen already living in the UK - doesn't ever seen to talk about entering the UK WITH their British Citizen spouse returning to the UK from living abroad.????

And lastly - is applying for Initial Entry Clearance considered as a Settlement or Non-Settlement Visa - obviously me and the wife are moving to the UK to settle?

Many thanks.

Last edited by Pipmeister; Mar 18th 2015 at 6:38 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 6:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there a uk.gov link for the Initial Entry forms to fill out? It's not on the W

You're probably struggling because there's no such thing as "initial entry clearance". Do you mean a spouse visa?

Were you born in the UK? If so your daughter is likely a British citizen and does not require a visa. You can apply for her British passport here. Registering her birth is optional but I would personally recommend it if you're planning to move back to the UK as it will give her a British style birth certificate and proof of her British citizenship that won't expire unlike a passport.

I see from a previous post that you are familiar with the financial requirements. If you're ready to go ahead and apply then start here.

Although you are living in the US the application your wife will be making will still be to 'join' you in the UK. The application will be processed in Sheffield. It's unlikely that you or your wife will need to attend an interview in the US. You can check the current visa processing times to see whether it would be worth paying extra for the Priority Service.

Last edited by BritInParis; Mar 18th 2015 at 6:46 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 6:49 pm
Goooner!

Pipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to all
Default Re: Is there a uk.gov link for the Initial Entry forms to fill out? It's not on the W

LOL - struggling.. yes.. lol.. Thanks for the info. I should have put in the post my daughter is actually my Step-Daughter so she will have to apply with her mum, or in her case, her 'mom'!

But on the Spouse Visa page it asks, Settlement or Non-Settlement. So I guess my question is do I need to pick the Settlement route - as that is our ultimate intention?

thanks for the quick response though
Old Mar 18th 2015, 6:51 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pipmeister
LOL - struggling.. yes.. lol.. Thanks for the info. I should have put in the post my daughter is actually my Step-Daughter so she will have to apply with her mum, or in her case, her 'mom'!

But on the Spouse Visa page it asks, Settlement or Non-Settlement. So I guess my question is do I need to pick the Settlement route - as that is our ultimate intention?

thanks for the quick response though
No worries. You are correct on both counts!
Old Mar 18th 2015, 6:55 pm
Goooner!

Thanks again.

My last question is - having set up the registration on the site - should I take the route of Apply for Someone Else - we are going the savings route and a large chunk of those are in an account in my name only? and do you know if my wife and step-daughter would need to apply separately or if it can go on the same application?

This is why the paper applications are good because you can see all the questions they will ask you ahead of asking - with these online versions they only ask you one step at a time! Shheeeesh! LOL
Old Mar 18th 2015, 7:12 pm

Thanks again.

My last question is - having set up the registration on the site - should I take the route of Apply for Someone Else - we are going the savings route and a large chunk of those are in an account in my name only? and do you know if my wife and step-daughter would need to apply separately or if it can go on the same application?

This is why the paper applications are good because you can see all the questions they will ask you ahead of asking - with these online versions they only ask you one step at a time! Shheeeesh! LOL
Since your wife is the applicant I would apply as if I were her if it's you actually completing the form (though it might be an idea for the two of you to do it together). The financial requirements doesn't enter into it in this regard.

Your step-daughter should be mentioned on your wife's application form but she'll need to apply for her visa separately.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 7:37 pm
Goooner!

Thanks again.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 7:54 pm
Goooner!

If the application for the Visa is approved - is there a time limit within which to enter the UK? We are not planning on moving for 6 months as I have to first know if we have a visa before we can provide my tenants will their requisite 2 months notice to vacate. Hoping its not something silly like 3 months from date of approval stamp!
Old Mar 18th 2015, 8:02 pm
Goooner!

Originally Posted by BritInParis

Your step-daughter should be mentioned on your wife's application form but she'll need to apply for her visa separately.
Would that be on the "Will anyone be travelling with you"? If so, they ask if that person has a valid Visa - so the answer would be no. Just hope that doesn't reject the application - although I will send both applications in the same UPS wallet
Old Mar 18th 2015, 8:06 pm

If the application for the Visa is approved - is there a time limit within which to enter the UK? We are not planning on moving for 6 months as I have to first know if we have a visa before we can provide my tenants will their requisite 2 months notice to vacate. Hoping its not something silly like 3 months from date of approval stamp!
It's three months from the date of the approval stamp.

Actually it's not but if your wife doesn't enter the UK with three months of the visa being issued she won't have accrued enough time in the UK to switch onto FLR at the end of her initial 33 months meaning you'll have to fork out for another visa to bridge the gap. There was another thread recently where the applicant successfully had their visa post-dated to give them extra time to get their affairs in hand before their move.