Tell me more about the Surrinder Singh process please?

Old Aug 18th 2013, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

kisuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tell me more about the Surrinder Singh process please?

Web Blue.........Many thanks for the swift reply. I will give your link a look....Once again Many Thanks..........best regards kisuma
Old Aug 18th 2013, 12:47 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kisuma
Web Blue.........Many thanks for the swift reply. I will give your link a look....Once again Many Thanks..........best regards kisuma
You're very welcome!

Another good thread to read is AngelaV's post titled, "My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far". Angela and her family are now living in the RoI as part of the Surinder Singh route, and she describes the process so far.

If you've not looked at it already it's very informative.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804420

Last edited by WEBlue; Aug 18th 2013 at 12:53 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Once again thanks weblue.........Yes i had read the link that you gave me, its quite liberating to know that we are not the only ones using Sirinder Singh.....Could you please enlighten me on a couple of things if you can. This might sound a little crazy but what is the (Directive) that she was armed with? also what is GNIB an abbreviation for?..........Thanks for your attention and help....Best Regards Kisuma........
Old Aug 19th 2013, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice

Once again thanks weblue.........Yes i had read the link that you gave me, its quite liberating to know that we are not the only ones using Sirinder Singh.....Could you please enlighten me on a couple of things if you can. This might sound a little crazy but what is the (Directive) that she was armed with? also what is GNIB an abbreviation for?..........Thanks for your attention and help....Best Regards Kisuma........
Hi Kisuma,

I thought I would answer this for you. The Directive is the official document that all members of the European Union must adhere to in relation to Freedom of Movement for European union citizens and their family members. Here is the link: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...77:0123:en:PDF

It is quite a long and daunting document so it might be easier for you to start off by reading the guideline - http://ec.europa.eu/justice/policies...vement_low.pdf - first as it is written in a more readable and simpler format.

The GNIB is the residence card in Ireland. Upon entry into Ireland, you will be given a 3 month stamp in your passport, after 3 months you need a residency card to remain in the country. Most of us apply using the EU1 application and bypass the Garda as it's the same thing. The application process takes 6 months but upon application (usually 4-8 weeks later) your non-eu spouse will have a stamp 4 certificate which will allow him/her to work.

I hope this helps,
Angela
Old Aug 19th 2013, 1:39 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AngelaV
Hi Kisuma,

The GNIB is the residence card in Ireland. Upon entry into Ireland, you will be given a 3 month stamp in your passport, after 3 months you need a residency card to remain in the country. Most of us apply using the EU1 application and bypass the Garda as it's the same thing. The application process takes 6 months but upon application (usually 4-8 weeks later) your non-eu spouse will have a stamp 4 certificate which will allow him/her to work.
forgive me if this has already been answered somewhere Angela - if you could provide a short point by point response - after the stamp 4 certificate is in the non EU spouses passport, how quickly/soon can that spouse travel to the UK and enter & be given an indefinite leave to remain or whatever its called going the SS route?

And on arrival in the UK, what likely if any questions, rejections etc will the UKBA officer likely do?

Then on the basis the spouse gets a stamp/visa etc (what kind is it?) can they then get a NI number without a hassle, apply for what locals refer to as social benefits without habitual residency ... child allowance, job seekers allowance, housing benefits etc?

All that done, at what point in time (the timeline) can the spouse become a UK citizen?

I was thinking - if its doable in your personal situation, wouldn't it be better in some cases to stay in Ireland for 5 years and have the spouse naturalized then get the Irish passport?
Old Aug 19th 2013, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice

Q - after the stamp 4 certificate is in the non EU spouses passport, how quickly/soon can that spouse travel to the UK and enter & be given an indefinite leave to remain or whatever its called going the SS route?

A - There is not set time stated but I know some people have left the European country they were exercising their treaty rights after 3 months.

Q - And on arrival in the UK, what likely if any questions, rejections etc will the UKBA officer likely do?

A- Before going to the UK, you would apply for a VAF5 visa - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...visas/vaf5.pdf

A - When you get to the UK, you will apply for a EEA2 which will give you a 5 year temporary residency visa - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si.../eea/eea21.pdf This application process takes 6 months. You can apply for permanent residency after 5 years

Q - Then on the basis the spouse gets a stamp/visa etc (what kind is it?) can they then get a NI number without a hassle, apply for what locals refer to as social benefits without habitual residency ... child allowance, job seekers allowance, housing benefits etc?

Q - Then on the basis the spouse gets a stamp/visa etc (what kind is it?) can they then get a NI number without a hassle, apply for what locals refer to

A - Your spouse will apply for a NI number, it takes a little time but it's not a problem. Incidentally, if your spouse has worked in the UK previously, he/she will keep the NI number issued previously as they are lifelong numbers. My husband worked in the UK 13 years ago and got his NI number then (one less stress!)

A - Your spouse will have access to all benefits you will have access to, be able to work and no financial restrictions will be applied to your visa application. Essentially, if you are successful and follow the rules of the directive, your spouse will be classed as a member of British society on arrival.

Q- I was thinking - if its doable in your personal situation, wouldn't it be better in some cases to stay in Ireland for 5 years and have the spouse naturalized then get the Irish passport?

A - For us, we are moving back to the UK to be close to family. As much as I love Ireland, I would like by kids to grow up close to my family.

Last edited by AngelaV; Aug 19th 2013 at 2:44 pm. Reason: Quotes in wrong order
Old Aug 19th 2013, 2:42 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

+1 Angela - great info as usual

thanks
Old Aug 19th 2013, 3:29 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Angela, looking at the VAF5 form in its typical British confusing way the questions seem like you'd never get the permit, in that

* To be used by nationals of an EEA country? 'National' being the key word

Does this apply to your family circumstances as your SA spouse qualify just by having a resident permit living in Ireland?

* Then the question of "main purpose of your visit to the UK" together with "how long for"

How the heck do you fill those points in or if your non EU spouse even qualifies?

Be interested in your response to that
Old Aug 19th 2013, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by not2old
Angela, looking at the VAF5 form in its typical British confusing way the questions seem like you'd never get the permit, in that

* To be used by nationals of an EEA country? 'National' being the key word

Does this apply to your family circumstances as your SA spouse qualify just by having a resident permit living in Ireland?

* Then the question of "main purpose of your visit to the UK" together with "how long for"

How the heck do you fill those points in or if your non EU spouse even qualifies?

Be interested in your response to that
To be honest, I haven't even looked at this form yet. I have it on my ss favourite folder but I'm going through the process of applying for EU1 so I'm putting this form to the side until I have to get to it. I have had a quick look through and it looks so daunting! To be honest, a lot of the questions don't apply to those taking the ss route. Let me try to find out if others have actually used this application to enter.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Not2Old, yes, you do have to have to complete a VAF5 to enter the UK. From what I understand, you don't have to complete every field as you don't have to disclose a lot of information on the form if you are going the surinder singh route, you only have to prove relationship and working in another member state. You don't need to disclose funds etc as this is not a requirement of the ss route.

As for your question, * Then the question of "main purpose of your visit to the UK" together with "how long for" - you tell the truth.

I'm going to start putting some facts I pick up from others going through the process that I think might be useful on my thread "How I did the Surrinder Singh Route" and share others stories when they allow me to do so.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

CJMLRM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nicola1
Has anyone successfully done this?

From what I read it's risky at best, and the loophole could be removed at any time, where then would that leave families in the midst of a move? In limbo?

I'm not overly keen on trying this option as we have two small boys to consider as well.

Why, oh why is this process so difficult? What do you think are the pro's and con's of both?

In a nutshell, we've been together 10 years, married for 6, two little boys and my husband is South African (I'm British by birth).
Hi, my name is Clint.. My wife's in the Philippines along with my 5 month old daughter, according to the law because of this £18,600 financial requirement I cant get them, so I want to use the Surrinder Singh route.. Im a bit worried about it though.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CJMLRM
Hi, my name is Clint.. My wife's in the Philippines along with my 5 month old daughter, according to the law because of this £18,600 financial requirement I cant get them, so I want to use the Surrinder Singh route.. Im a bit worried about it though.
It's highly unlikely that it will be closed out. The UK would have to pull out of Europe in it's entirety for it to close and that is not likely to happen. The referendum isn't until 2017 so they won't pull out before then.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Thanks one and all for the comments and advice..........I still have a couple of things that i am unsure about!!

Does my wife have to be with me in Ireland when i am working there?

Would it be ok if she joined me at the end of my three months working period?

I have gone through the directive and can find nothing that states that she has to be with me in Ireland for any specific time.

I live in mid Wales so it is comparativly easy for me to get to Ireland via Holyhead. My thinking is that i will find part time work, hopefully two days per week then go back to my house in mid wales to continue my other work...........Best Regards Kisuma.......
Old Aug 29th 2013, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Doing the surinder singh route from Ireland............I have been self employed for most of my life as an antiques dealer...........Could some one please tell me what i have to do to register as self employed in Ireland......This would be greatly appreciated!!!!!.....Many Thanks...Kisuma
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Doing the surinder singh route from Ireland............I have been self employed for most of my life as an antiques dealer...........Could some one please tell me what i have to do to register as self employed in Ireland......This would be greatly appreciated!!!!!.....Many Thanks...Kisuma
Yes you do have to register. It is a very quick and inexpensive process. Once you get your PPS number, you can register the company name. I applied on Monday afternoon and received the certificate today, it cost 25 euro.

You will also apply for self-assessment tax. I also applied Monday but have not received any correspondence yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.