Living together for 2 years?

Old Oct 20th 2017, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Doug M is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living together for 2 years?

I met my girlfriend on holiday around 2 years ago and we kept in touch when I came back home to the UK. We have been using video chat and messages almost every day and I have been to visit her in her country around 7 times but the longest stay was 1 month.

We want to get married and live together in the UK but this requirement has me puzzled. It says on the UK government site...

"you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply"

We have known and kept in contact with each other for 2 years but we have not been living together for that time. Is the requirement to be living together absolutely needed?

I meet the financial requirements but this I'm not sure about. If I move to her country for 2 years I would lose my job in the UK.

What are we supposed to do?
Old Oct 20th 2017, 8:33 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living together for 2 years?

That is only for unmarried de facto partners. If you are planning on marrying before you apply for your girlfriend's visa then that requirement will not apply to you.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living together for 2 years?

You either apply for a fiance visa for your intended wife, she enters the UK, you get married within the 6 month period and then you apply for spouse visa for her to remain in the UK

OR

You get married somewhere else (probably less expensive) she returns to her home country and then you apply for the spouse visa.

Either way you have to fulfill the financial, relationship and accommodation requirements.