Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Switching from Marriage Visa to Spouse Visa - within UK

Switching from Marriage Visa to Spouse Visa - within UK

Reply

Old May 5th 2017, 3:15 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 6
BostontoEdinburgh is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Switching from Marriage Visa to Spouse Visa - within UK

Hello!

When I was applying for the fiancé visa (marriage visa) from the US, this forum was very helpful in getting everything together. Luckily we found out about my visa in just about two weeks.

I moved to the UK with the purpose of getting married to a British Citizen, which happened at the end of April . I am now getting together the final bits of paperwork for this new visa.

Does anyone have experience with switching his/her type of visa from within the UK, similar to what I'm trying to do? It's either a really straightforward process and I'm wary of it (considering how much paperwork was in the fiancé/marriage visa), or I'm straight up confused. Is it essentially all the same evidence, just with updated financials and the marriage certificate?

I believe the type of visa is "Family of a Settled Person" - if using Visa4UK for the online application, how do I find the right type of visa?

Many questions, I know. Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Kind regards,
Mary
BostontoEdinburgh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5th 2017, 7:41 pm
  #2  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 10,947
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switching from Marriage Visa to Spouse Visa - within UK

You can't apply online via the Visa4UK website from within the UK. You need to complete the paper application form and then either apply by post or in person. The form you need to complete is Form FLR(M). The evidence is essentially the same as before but with the inclusion of your marriage certificate and updated financial requirements evidence as you say.

https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/overview
BritInParis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 7th 2017, 1:54 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 6
BostontoEdinburgh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Switching from Marriage Visa to Spouse Visa - within UK

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
You can't apply online via the Visa4UK website from within the UK. You need to complete the paper application form and then either apply by post or in person. The form you need to complete is Form FLR(M). The evidence is essentially the same as before but with the inclusion of your marriage certificate and updated financial requirements evidence as you say.

https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/overview
Thank you BritinParis!! That is extremely helpful information!
BostontoEdinburgh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th 2018, 3:03 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 13
Alexander01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Switching from Marriage Visa to Spouse Visa - within UK

I thought its possible to apply online from the UK OR am i wrong?
Alexander01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th 2018, 3:05 pm
  #5  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 10,947
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switching from Marriage Visa to Spouse Visa - within UK

Originally Posted by Alexander01 View Post
I thought its possible to apply online from the UK OR am i wrong?
You can now but not via the Visa4UK website.
BritInParis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th 2018, 9:11 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 13
Alexander01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Switching from Marriage Visa to Spouse Visa - within UK

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
You can now but not via the Visa4UK website.

Which do you think its better, Online or by hand?
Alexander01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th 2018, 9:39 pm
  #7  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 10,947
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switching from Marriage Visa to Spouse Visa - within UK

Originally Posted by Alexander01 View Post
Which do you think its better, Online or by hand?
Entirely your own preference. Personally I would go with paper.
BritInParis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2018, 8:43 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 2
tenorio_m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Switching from Marriage Visa to Spouse Visa - within UK

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
You can't apply online via the Visa4UK website from within the UK. You need to complete the paper application form and then either apply by post or in person. The form you need to complete is Form FLR(M). The evidence is essentially the same as before but with the inclusion of your marriage certificate and updated financial requirements evidence as you say.
I've been told the same that fiancé visa holders only have to add marriage certificate and updated financials for the spouse visa application..but what it says on page 63 of Form FLR(M) under 'If your application is as the partner of a settled person or person who is in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection' confuses me. It says my partner and I will have to provide six items of correspondence addressed to us at the same address. I know it is one of the requirements for those look to extend their spouse visa after the initial 2-year period. But since it is written in the form, does it apply to people switching from marriage/fiancé visa too? Many thanks!
tenorio_m is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2018, 9:58 pm
  #9  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 10,947
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switching from Marriage Visa to Spouse Visa - within UK

Originally Posted by tenorio_m View Post
I've been told the same that fiancé visa holders only have to add marriage certificate and updated financials for the spouse visa application..but what it says on page 63 of Form FLR(M) under 'If your application is as the partner of a settled person or person who is in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection' confuses me. It says my partner and I will have to provide six items of correspondence addressed to us at the same address. I know it is one of the requirements for those look to extend their spouse visa after the initial 2-year period. But since it is written in the form, does it apply to people switching from marriage/fiancé visa too? Many thanks!
Six items of correspondence addressed to you and your partner at the same address as evidence that you have been living together since your last grant of leave in this category or from the date you first started living together up to a maximum of two years.
This won't apply to you as a fiancé visa holder.
BritInParis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th 2018, 10:06 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 2
tenorio_m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Switching from Marriage Visa to Spouse Visa - within UK

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
This won't apply to you as a fiancé visa holder.
Loud and clear, thanks! Yeah it would be difficult for those who have just arrived a couple of months ago to have 6 bills under their names..
tenorio_m is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement