Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Surinder Singh -What happens once you complete your 3 months and get the go ahead...

Surinder Singh -What happens once you complete your 3 months and get the go ahead...

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice
Default Surinder Singh -What happens once you complete your 3 months and get the go ahead...

to enter the UK.

Does the non EU spouse(me-USA) then get a National Health number and are allowed to work right away, when can you apply for British Citizenship and get your Indefinite leave to remain?

Confused as to what happens after you complete the 3 months.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

AngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really niceAngelaV is just really nice
Default Re: Surinder Singh -What happens once you complete your 3 months and get the go ahead

You can work with an EEU family permit which is free of charge and should be applied for in the country you are exercising your rights. It doesn't state on the permit that you can work. If you do find a job before you apply for your residency card, just explain to the employer that as a family member (spouse) of an EEA citizen, you have the right to work under EU treaty law, and that you are in the process of applying for your residency card.

Sorry, my hubby has one from his last stay in UK so I haven't looked into it but I'm sure someone will be able to guide you but as far as I know, on arrival in UK, you should to apply for a NI number, according to their website you can work without one but you have to apply straight away. I think you will pay emergency tax (you do in Ireland).

On arrival in UK after doing ss route, you will apply for a 5 year residency card (EEA2 application) which takes approx. 6 months for the application to go through.

You might find this document useful:

RIGHTS OF NON-EEA NATIONAL FAMILY MEMBERS OF EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA (EEA) NATIONALS

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice
Default Re: Surinder Singh -What happens once you complete your 3 months and get the go ahead

thanks for the reply.

Does your passport get stamped? Are you entitled to National Health care during the 5 year period or will I need to get health insurance.

What happens at the end of the 5 years.

I did read the above and it was not clear to me.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 8:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

After you get your EEA Family Permit and enter the UK, it's best to apply for a Residence Permit. This costs around £50 and you have to apply for it by post so it takes approximately six months to be processed. You will have to surrender your passport during this time. During this time however you are free to work. It would helpful to make a photocopy of your EEA Family Permit to help you prove your right to reside in the UK.

When you say NHS number do you mean your National Insurance Number? You can apply for one from JobCentrePlus when you first arrive. This will allow you to work and you'll need it to pay your taxes and National Insurance contributions.

Providing you are residing in the UK for three months or more you will be entitled to NHS care once you arrive. When you sign up with a GP you will be given a NHS number if you don't already have one.

Once issued your residence permit will be valid for five years. At the end of those five years you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain providing you meet the criteria. Once you receive ILR, and providing you are married to a British citizen, you can then apply to naturalise straight away under S.6(2) British Nationality Act 1981.

Once you naturalise you will be a British citizen with Right of Abode in the UK and entitled to a British passport, etc..

Last edited by BritInParis; Sep 4th 2013 at 8:59 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
After you get your EEA Family Permit and enter the UK, it's best to apply for a Residence Permit. This costs around £50 and you have to apply for it by post so it takes approximately six months to be processed. You will have to surrender your passport during this time. During this time however you are free to work. It would helpful to make a photocopy of your EEA Family Permit to help you prove your right to reside in the UK.

When you say NHS number do you mean your National Insurance Number? You can apply for one from JobCentrePlus when you first arrive. This will allow you to work and you'll need it to pay your taxes and National Insurance contributions.

Providing you are residing in the UK for three months or more you will be entitled to NHS care once you arrive. When you sign up with a GP you will be given a NHS number if you don't already have one.

Once issued your residence permit will be valid for five years. At the end of those five years you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain providing you meet the criteria. Once you receive ILR, and providing you are married to a British citizen, you can then apply to naturalise straight away under S.6(2) British Nationality Act 1981.

Once you naturalise you will be a British citizen with Right of Abode in the UK and entitled to a British passport, etc..

Thank you so much that makes it so much more clear. My British Husband and I have been married 29 yrs and I do not see that changing anytime soon and since both my parents are now gone there is nothing keeping us in the USA except our business and hopefully we can successfully start afresh in the UK. We are hoping to move as soon as our son graduates high school. My husband wants to spend time with his parents as their health is quickly going down hill.