Surinder Singh Route Questions

Old Jun 28th 2013, 7:28 am
Just Joined

LauraLeonard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Surinder Singh Route Questions

Hello,

My husband, a USC, and I, a UKC, are hoping to use the Surinder Singh route (via Ireland) so that he can stay in England. I have read everything that I can find about this route but there are still a few things that I need clarifying. I would really appreciate it anyone on this board could help.

1. My husband is currently here on a student visa. Will it be okay for us to move from the UK when he is nearing the end of this visa? Is there any requirement for him to go back to America first?

2. Do we apply for the residence card once we are in Ireland or before we leave?

3.Can he work as soon as he enters Ireland?

4. Do we apply for the family permit before we go back to England or once we are back?

5. What status will he have upon his return? As I understand it, he will have a family permit that does not need renewing which allows him to live and work here and, as long as he continues to so for five years, then he can apply for citizenship.

Thank you for you help.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 8:05 am
Just Joined

robynxo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Surinder Singh Route Questions

Originally Posted by LauraLeonard
Hello,

My husband, a USC, and I, a UKC, are hoping to use the Surinder Singh route (via Ireland) so that he can stay in England. I have read everything that I can find about this route but there are still a few things that I need clarifying. I would really appreciate it anyone on this board could help.

1. My husband is currently here on a student visa. Will it be okay for us to move from the UK when he is nearing the end of this visa? Is there any requirement for him to go back to America first?

2. Do we apply for the residence card once we are in Ireland or before we leave?

3.Can he work as soon as he enters Ireland?

4. Do we apply for the family permit before we go back to England or once we are back?

5. What status will he have upon his return? As I understand it, he will have a family permit that does not need renewing which allows him to live and work here and, as long as he continues to so for five years, then he can apply for citizenship.

Thank you for you help.
1. Not sure sorry, an experienced member of this forum will hopefully answer you there.

2. I would apply as soon as possible, it may take up to 6 months to get one, so get the stamp 4 registered and then apply for a residence card

3. Yes, he will get a stamp 4 on his passport which he needs to register:

Stamp 4 refers to the stamp number, or immigration status, given to an individual with permission to reside in Ireland. It indicates that the person is entitled to work without a work permit.[1] It is issued to people on work visas/work authorisations, to the spouse of an Irish citizen, to the spouse of an EU citizen (Stamp 4 EUFam), to refugees, to people with Irish Born Child residency and those with long-term residency status. Once a person has been granted Stamp 4 status by the Irish Department of Justice and Equality, he or she is to report to their local Garda National Im**************** in order to receive the physical card, or "Certificate of Registration". The card shows the holder's Stamp 4 status, as well as their photograph and other personal details. The Stamp 4 card is proof of the person's Stamp 4 status and should be shown to employers when evidence of the person's Stamp 4 status is needed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamp_4

4. Apply as soon as you can, people generally advise after you have worked for 6 months in that other country.

A family permit can be issued for both a short term visit and/or to enable to holder to take up residence in the UK. As the documents are only valid for six months a person seeking to remain in the UK will need to apply for residence documentation from the UK Border Agency.
So again, apply as soon as you can once entering England
Old Jun 28th 2013, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Thank you!
Old Jun 28th 2013, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Thank you!
It's fine just information gained from other experienced members on this board, so my thanks to them.

I would advise you (like I have been advised) to just be prepared as early as possible for each step of the way in this method.

As soon as you get to Ireland - stamp 4, then residence card. As well as look for work. I'm going to apply for the EEA after 3 months working in Ireland, then again after 6 months.
As soon as you get into the UK, apply for the residence card (form EEA2) (information here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eu...ly/applying/)- the residency is usually required to get a job (though not technically required - the family permit allows you to work), apparently employers don't like employing people who just have the family permit and nothing else.
After living in the UK for 5 years you can apply for permanent residency (form EEA4)
Old Jun 28th 2013, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Just found this and was wondering if this is the route for us. Been wanting to go home for a while but can't meet the financial requirements in order to bring a spouse back. This might be something for us to consider. So if me and my husband went to live and work in Ireland and stayed there for (how long?) then we could both move to the United Kingdom? I am a British Citizen and he is an American Citizen. Thanks in advance. Good Luck to you.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 7:00 am
Just Joined

Thank you, Robynxo. I think I have just one last question... Do you need to apply for Stamp 4 or is that what they give you when you go through the border?

Hello, Moreyeel. Yes, I do believe that this route would work for you. It would seem that the recommended time to stay is 3-6 months. If you research 'Surinder Singh Route' then you can find information online but it is fairly difficult to find so prepare to do some reading!
Old Jun 29th 2013, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Thank you, Robynxo. I think I have just one last question... Do you need to apply for Stamp 4 or is that what they give you when you go through the border?

Hello, Moreyeel. Yes, I do believe that this route would work for you. It would seem that the recommended time to stay is 3-6 months. If you research 'Surinder Singh Route' then you can find information online but it is fairly difficult to find so prepare to do some reading!
In Ireland after arriving you register at a local immigration office to get your stamp 4, info I found on all that is here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...n_ireland.html

I also compiled all the questions I asked and answers I found of use throughout forums and on the internet regarding the Surinder Singh route here, I hope you find it helpful:
http://robynthegraduate.wordpress.com/ss/