Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Surinder Singh EEA Permits - Reqd to apply for SettlementScheme?

Surinder Singh EEA Permits - Reqd to apply for SettlementScheme?

Old Jan 1st 2021, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Ladymetis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Surinder Singh EEA Permits - Reqd to apply for SettlementScheme?

Hi all,
Thank you for previous advice (special thanks to BiP!) which enabled my family to obtain EEA family permits via the Surinder Singh route, and thank you in advance for any additional advice and support offered on this next stage.

I've been keeping an eye on the UK Gov site for updates following the Brexit transition period ending, and now that it's the 1st of January, I am still struggling to discern whether we are "safe" for the time being, or if I really must submit applications for the EU Settlement Scheme for my spouse and children.
Am I interpreting it correctly that they must apply to the scheme prior to June 2021, because after that time, despite the 2024 expiration date on their permits, they will no longer be considered valid? Is that truly important since they've never even had to flash their permits thus far? Or would not applying to the scheme hinder their ability to travel, and / or register for citizenship in the future?

Important details:
I am British Citizen by descent as was born in America while parents on holiday in 1985.
​​​​Spouse and 3 children under 16, all american citizens, all of whom we hope to apply for citizenship for at the appointed times (after 3 years in country for kids, 5+ for spouse).
Obtained EEA Family Permits for all in 2019 after living and working in another EU member state.
Spouse does not "work," is stay-at-home-Dad and does pastoral work (no income, not registered charitable organisation or anything like that) and we are solely dependent on my income, which exceeds all thresholds for our family size.

I hope I've covered all the pertinent details...it's really quite difficult to remember what others don't know! Thank you again in advance for wisdom and advice.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 2:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surinder Singh EEA Permits - Reqd to apply for SettlementScheme?

When you say ‘EEA Family Permits’ I assume you’re referring to your family’s EU Residence cards? That is, a BRP with the phrase ‘Residence card of a family member of a Union Citizen’ running along the bottom?
Old Jan 1st 2021, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Ladymetis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
When you say ‘EEA Family Permits’ I assume you’re referring to your family’s EU Residence cards? That is, a BRP with the phrase ‘Residence card of a family member of a Union Citizen’ running along the bottom?
My apologies, yes. That's the one!
With the remarks 'EU Right to reside' on the back of the card.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 3:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ladymetis
My apologies, yes. That's the one!
With the remarks 'EU Right to reside' on the back of the card.
In that case you should apply to the EU Settlement Scheme for replacement cards as those are now invalid as of today. You really should’ve applied before today as the Surinder Singh route has also now ended. As such it may take longer for your family’s applications to be processed so I would look to make their applications this weekend.