Supporting Documents for First Child Passport

Old Mar 4th 2016, 11:31 am
Just Joined

BoneyCOrk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Supporting Documents for First Child Passport

Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere. I did a quick search and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I live with my Chinese wife and we need to get a UK passport for our second child. Our first was relatively straightforward, but it seems they have changed the requirements since then and after reading through their list of supporting documents I'm still a bit confused over a few things so I hope somebody can help.

- With our first child's passport my wife only needed to submit her (translated) Chinese passport as proof of ID - but this doesn't seem to be on the list anymore and they instead what her birth certificate or registration papers. Is this correct? It seems an internationally recognized photo ID would be preferable to some sketchy 30 year old communist era birth papers.

- If number 1 is correct, do we need to submit original versions of all the Chinese documents also? My wife can live without her passport for a while, but living in China without access to your ID papers and stuff isn't a very good idea.

- They now need proof of my address or residence. Do they need separate proof for both parents? And how specific is "residence"? They say they will accept visas and residence permits, but mine only list the city I live in.

I think that's it for now. The rest seems to make sense. I'm hoping someone with experience of this can give me a little help.

Also on the subject of help, how useful is the Passport Adviceline? If anyone can recommend them for properly helping out with specific questions like this I'll buy a phonecard and give them a call.

Thanks for reading and any info you can provide!
Old Mar 4th 2016, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

mummykochi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Supporting Documents for First Child Passport

Hi -

I am british living in India with my Indian husband - I applied for our 15 month olds uk passport at the end of october and I recieved it on 10th Jan.

Documents I sent were:

Originals of the following:
Our sons hospital Birth Certificate

Colour photocopies of:
My UK Passport
My short and long birth certificate (I didnt have my long birth certificate - ordered a copy here -https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate
My residency permit for India showing home address
My visa for India
My husbands Indian passport
(My husband does not have a birth certificate - so I couldnt include it - I sent a covering letter explaining this)
Our Marriage certificate (Attested by the Indian Govt.)
3 scans of my pregnancy
discharge papers from the hospital for both mother and baby
Vaccination health care book from the hospital (Vaccination notes pages only)
And photographs of me and my husband with our son from birth until now - approx 15-20 photo's.

I sent all of this via the vfs centre, and was asked 3 days later for the following:

Originals of:
My parents (applicants UK maternal grandparents) birth certificates and marriage certificate.

My father sent these directly as they are in the uk.

I heard nothing until 12th dec, when the British embassy in New delhi called me to go for an interview on 18th dec - done by telephone - mostly concerning my pregnancy - hospital and doctors name etc - about my life when i lived in the uk and did I have any plans to return....

Then 5th Jan had an email to say it had been printed and was on its way.

A lot of people seem to be waiting up to 10 months - but had my sons in 10 weeks.

They were not interested about residency proof for my husband - i did not send a rent agreement or anything with his name on - they wanted 'MY'proof address as the uk citizen. Only thing that mentioned my husbands name was the birth certificate and his passport.

They are looking at how your child has claim to being british - so not much checks on the foreigner I dont think.

I was lucky, all our documents are in english - just anything that you have that needs to be translated into english - get it done by a recognised translator with an appropriate stamp etc.

I called once the passport helpline - at the end - not so helpful.... just told me it was on its way - could not provide any trackinginfo etc.

I emailed many times - to which I recieved a reply within 24 hours. They were very helpful.