Successful UKM application

Old Apr 8th 2016, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Sandra Archangel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Successful UKM application

Originally Posted by matkirk
I did mine through Philip Gamble. All the correspondence I've received has always been through them. I should probably just ask them to follow up! Getting impatient now! Lol! Did the consulate give you a choice of dates?
lol, i know that feeling all to well. I would also maybe just ask them to follow up. They give you a date but if you cannot attend the date they have given you, you may request another date however you may have to wait until there are others having their ceremony's also. They usually do it in groups of 6. Try and go on the date they give you. You could go into work afterwards also. i was to excited tho so i took the day off. Good Luck!
Old Apr 19th 2016, 6:10 am
Just Joined

Woodie156 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am looking at the possibility of registration as a British citizen via the UKM pathway, and I’d be grateful if anyone could assist in determining if I am eligible. From the UKM guide, a person is eligible for registration if (1) they were born before 1983, (2) mother was British at time of birth (3) they have right of abode, acquired because the mother was a British citizen by birth at time of birth of person applying, (4) they are of good character.

Kenya was a British colony until 1963. I was born in 1972 in Kenya. My mother was a British Subject at the time, and my father had taken up Kenya citizenship by then. My mother’s passport later changed to British Overseas Citizen when she renewed it under her married name in 1974, and subsequently to British Citizen in 2004 (she now resides in the UK). My maternal grandparents were born in India in 1908 and 1910, and were British subjects at the time of my mother’s birth in Kenya in June 1949.

I now reside in Australia, and am an Australian citizen. Using lineage from my mother, would I be eligible to register as a British citizen via the UKM pathway?

In summary:
- I was born in Kenya in 1972 - initially Kenyan citizen and now Australian
- Mother born in Kenya in June 1949 - British Subject
- Maternal grandparents born in India 1908 & 1910 - British subjects

Thanks.

Last edited by Woodie156; Apr 19th 2016 at 6:14 am.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 6:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Woodie156
I am looking at the possibility of registration as a British citizen via the UKM pathway, and I’d be grateful if anyone could assist in determining if I am eligible. From the UKM guide, a person is eligible for registration if (1) they were born before 1983, (2) mother was British at time of birth (3) they have right of abode, acquired because the mother was a British citizen by birth at time of birth of person applying, (4) they are of good character.

Kenya was a British colony until 1963. I was born in 1972 in Kenya. My mother was a British Subject at the time, and my father had taken up Kenya citizenship by then. My mother’s passport later changed to British Overseas Citizen when she renewed it under her married name in 1974, and subsequently to British Citizen in 2004 (she now resides in the UK). My maternal grandparents were born in India in 1908 and 1910, and were British subjects at the time of my mother’s birth in Kenya in June 1949.

I now reside in Australia, and am an Australian citizen. Using lineage from my mother, would I be eligible to register as a British citizen via the UKM pathway?

In summary:

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to this forum.

If your mom was born in the UK and has a British birth certificate then yes you can. This is how i obtained my Citizenship and got my British Passport. Maybe contact Phillip Gamble on Facebook. He is brilliant and will answer all of your questions and you can do your application through his company.

Good Luck
Sandra
Old Apr 19th 2016, 6:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sandra Archangel
Hi and welcome to this forum.

If your mom was born in the UK and has a British birth certificate then yes you can. This is how i obtained my Citizenship and got my British Passport. Maybe contact Phillip Gamble on Facebook. He is brilliant and will answer all of your questions and you can do your application through his company.
Thanks Sandra, I'll check with Philip Gamble as well.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks Sandra, I'll check with Philip Gamble as well.
You are most welcome. Good luck to you
Old Apr 20th 2016, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

goins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to all

Brit... i always say your one of a kind..just like Not2old.. forum.and so are the others..luv this

Last edited by goins; Apr 20th 2016 at 12:40 am.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 1:56 am
Just Joined

In summary:

Thanks.

Hi BritinParis,

You're a font of knowledge in this area, and at a glance, would I need to be concerned about anything if I were to apply directly to the Home Office re: my UKM query above? The independence arrangements for Kenya were that automatic Kenyan citizenship was NOT automatically granted to holders of British Subject CUKC passports in 1963.

Cheers,

Woodie156
Old Apr 20th 2016, 9:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi BritinParis,

You're a font of knowledge in this area, and at a glance, would I need to be concerned about anything if I were to apply directly to the Home Office re: my UKM query above? The independence arrangements for Kenya were that automatic Kenyan citizenship was NOT automatically granted to holders of British Subject CUKC passports in 1963.

Cheers,

Woodie156
It would depend on whether your mother is considered to be a British citizen otherwise than by descent or by descent. If it's the former you shouldn't have a problem; if it's the latter then you won't be eligible. What was your grandfather's occupation at the time of your mother's birth in Kenya?
Old Apr 21st 2016, 1:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It would depend on whether your mother is considered to be a British citizen otherwise than by descent or by descent. If it's the former you shouldn't have a problem; if it's the latter then you won't be eligible. What was your grandfather's occupation at the time of your mother's birth in Kenya?
Thanks Brit. Yes, that’s the tricky part – determining whether my mother was a British citizen otherwise by descent, or by descent. My maternal grandfather ran a retail shop at the time of my mother’s birth, so a shopkeeper / businessman?

I have looked at the Independence arrangements for Kenya ( legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1963/54/pdfs/ukpga_19630054_en.pdf ) and it appears that my mother did not lose her British CUKC status at Independence. Also, her parents were not born in Kenya (they were born in India).

My mother was born in Central Kenya in June 1949 which was part of Kenya Colony at the time (as opposed to the coastal strip that fell under Kenya Protectorate). From birth up until 1983, her passport was British Subject: CUKC. After the BNA 1983, it was changed to British Overseas Citzen in 1983 (and subject to immigration control in the UK). In 2004, her passport was then changed to British Citizen, after changes to the BNA 2002. In 2007 she moved to the UK, and resides there permanently.

Is there any way I can ascertain whether she was British otherwise by descent or not?

Last edited by Woodie156; Apr 21st 2016 at 1:58 am.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 7:23 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Brit. Yes, that’s the tricky part – determining whether my mother was a British citizen otherwise by descent, or by descent. My maternal grandfather ran a retail shop at the time of my mother’s birth, so a shopkeeper / businessman?

I have looked at the Independence arrangements for Kenya ( legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1963/54/pdfs/ukpga_19630054_en.pdf ) and it appears that my mother did not lose her British CUKC status at Independence. Also, her parents were not born in Kenya (they were born in India).

My mother was born in Central Kenya in June 1949 which was part of Kenya Colony at the time (as opposed to the coastal strip that fell under Kenya Protectorate). From birth up until 1983, her passport was British Subject: CUKC. After the BNA 1983, it was changed to British Overseas Citzen in 1983 (and subject to immigration control in the UK). In 2004, her passport was then changed to British Citizen, after changes to the BNA 2002. In 2007 she moved to the UK, and resides there permanently.

Is there any way I can ascertain whether she was British otherwise by descent or not?
A Subject Access Request to HMPO might reveal this information. Your mother will need to request the release of her passport information and specifically ask whether she is considered British otherwise than by descent or British by descent. The cost is £10.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...s-request-form
Old Apr 21st 2016, 7:58 am
Just Joined

A Subject Access Request to HMPO might reveal this information. Your mother will need to request the release of her passport information and specifically ask whether she is considered British otherwise than by descent or British by descent. The cost is £10.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...s-request-form
Thanks, I'll get my mum to chase this up. Does she need to specify whether she was considered British otherwise than by descent or British by descent in 1972 (at the time of my birth), or what her status is now?
Old Apr 21st 2016, 8:07 am

Thanks, I'll get my mum to chase this up. Does she need to specify whether she was considered British otherwise than by descent or British by descent in 1972 (at the time of my birth), or what her status is now?
Just to clarify, did your mother register as a British citizen under Section 4B BNA 1981?
Old Apr 21st 2016, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Just to clarify, did your mother register as a British citizen under Section 4B BNA 1981?

EDITED.

Sorry Brit, I misunderstood your question. Its that time of the day!!!!

Yes, my mother registered as a British citizen in 2004 under S4B BNA 1981.

Last edited by Woodie156; Apr 21st 2016 at 8:31 am.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 8:29 am

No, unfortunately she didn't. Hence, her citizenship changed to BOC in 1983. It was only in 2004 that she applied for and obtained British citizenship (I'm unsure of the process). She obtained her British citizenship through the British High Commission in Kenya.
Section 4B registration was only introduced in 2002 and it allowed BOCs who held no other citizenships to register as British citizens. If that's the case then she is only British by descent.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Section 4B registration was only introduced in 2002 and it allowed BOCs who held no other citizenships to register as British citizens. If that's the case then she is only British by descent.
Thanks for the clarification. It therefore seems I would not qualify under UKM.

But thanks heaps for your input ... pretty valuable.