British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Submitting and posting spouse Settlement Visa application question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/submitting-posting-spouse-settlement-visa-application-question-914224/)

boingboing Jun 23rd 2018 3:03 am

Submitting and posting spouse Settlement Visa application question

Hi,

We will be in the UK shortly for a vacation and then return to our country of residence to follow up on the Settlement visa process application process.

I have been informed that whilst in the UK we can make the application online and arrange delivery of the required application form and related documentary evidence to Sheffield prior to returning to our country of residence and appointment date for the bio-metrics. Appreciate comments on this. On the basis of doing this, what is a realistic gap in dates between making the application, sending off the documents and having the bio-metrics done in our country of residence so that I can plan accordingly.

In addition when is the passport to be submitted and where is it kept or sent to?

Thanks in advance.

BritInParis Jul 2nd 2018 1:30 am

Re: Submitting and posting spouse Settlement Visa application question

I would wait until you are in your home country before lodging your application. Lodging whilst you are in the UK, even online, runs the risk of a refusal as you are not permitted to change your visa type from within the UK as a visitor. Better to complete the application as a draft and then actually hit the submit button once you are home. The amount of time you would save would be minimal given that you will need to book your biometrics appointment.

boingboing Jul 5th 2018 10:28 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have received conflicting information on submitting the application whilst in the UK. Our home country has been selected for the online Settlement application but wasn't aware of a potential conflict involving the Visitor visa and the Settlement Visa application if submitting when in the UK. Would you have any link to this situation and submitting the application whilst on vacation in the UK later this month? In other words is it irrelevant or not wherever you are in the world when submitting the application as long as you have selected the online form for your own home country?

I've also had conflicting information on purchasing Priority beforehand and then send off the documents with the Priority receipt before submitting the application and booking biometrics shortly after. VFS website has no clarity on when Priority can be purchased and use. Anyone know at what stage Priority service can be purchased?

BritInParis Jul 5th 2018 10:40 pm

On the online application form you'll note you need to state your location. The UK is not an option as you cannot apply from within the UK. You could fib but that's never advisable and runs the risk of refusal for the reason as I mentioned as well as for deception. As your wife will be need to be in Thailand shortly after lodging her online application to give her biometrics I don't see the advantage in running this risk.

If you're worried about postage try this thread.

Priority can be bought anytime between submitting your online application and posting off your supporting documents. All priority does is move your supporting documents to the front of the queue on arrival in Sheffield.