Struggling to get a marriage visitor visa

Old May 13th 2015, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

ash1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Struggling to get a marriage visitor visa

Hi everyone.

My girlfriend who isn't British is struggling to get a marriage visitor visa now. We aren't sure this is the best way to do it to be honest. Please give us any advise that will work for us, it will help us a lot.

My girlfriend and I (I am British) are planning to get married in feb 2016 and we already booked and paid deposits for the venue and registrar. She has been in the UK for last 4 years as a student and her student visa expires in Aug 2015 so she needs to go back home in Aug. The problem with us is that I haven't met the financial requirement for either fiance or spouse visa.
I am going to start working as self - employed soon like next month which will give me at least £2000 a month so we will meet the financial requirement probably June next year.
As we can't meet the financial requirement, she was going to get a marriage visitor visa but there was another problem which she hasn't got strong ties to home country because she will graduate uni this year so she hasn't got a job yet. Our plan was if she goes back home after wedding, I will go over there as soon as my financial requirement is ready, and get a spouse visa.
We talked to a solicitor earlier and she said that as my girlfriend already has stayed in the UK for a while and we have been living together over a year now (the solicitor said that it may affect them to think she is going to overstay) and the fact that she has no ties to home, it will be more likely impossible to get the marriage visitor visa.
Even though we were going to book both of us' flight tickets as I was going to see her family after wedding anyway (we have wedding here only with my family) and probably book another wedding ceremony there so it shows that she needs to go back home, she said that it is not enough.
Also, she is going to be honest with our situation instead of making things up and write a covering letter saying that she will go back home for applying a spouse visa there when all the requirements are ready which will be June or July next year. We heard that applying for a spouse visa can be used as one of the ties but honestly, I am not sure it is going to work.
However, the solicitor said that these still won't be enough ties for her to get the visa and she didn't really give us any advise.

We are really panicking now because she said there is no way to get married for us unless we go to another EU country and stay there for 6 months and then come back to England together but we both think that the idea will not work.

Can anyone advise something for us or does this really seem like impossible to get the marriage visitor visa with all these ties?? We can't think of any ties apart from these.
Old May 13th 2015, 8:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Struggling to get a marriage visitor visa

Being honest about your plans is the best way to go, especially emphasising that you are aware that your fiancee will need to return to Brazil to apply for her spouse visa. In a worst case scenario is there anything to prevent from you from marrying in Brazil?
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

goins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to all

Sorry to hear Ash1988,

i have just rec'd my email which consist of a Marriage visitor Visa, due to my Fiance not paying herself from her small company, Antique Furniture, she is doing it now for a year, (its all good) So i took the route of the marriage visitor visa, to be safe. Keep in mind the most important thing here..she needs a residence to go back to (i lived in Toronto 25plus years, plus my mortgage documents from when i bought the house documents to back it up) and a job or letter with a letter head stating she has a job. My divorce came through, i have to go back before my 6 mths because i have to move and also have a job because i am in IT i can do self employed, which i prefer (long term contracts) Also be blatantly honest,

She has no choice, also you can go with her like Brit says i would take his advice and run lik hell with it
Good luck..it will work out..dnt think to hard.

Last edited by goins; Jun 2nd 2015 at 12:27 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ash1988
Hi everyone.
My girlfriend and I (I am British) are planning to get married in feb 2016 and we already booked and paid deposits for the venue and registrar. She has been in the UK for last 4 years as a student and her student visa expires in Aug 2015 so she needs to go back home in Aug. The problem with us is that I haven't met the financial requirement for either fiance or spouse visa.
Does your student girlfriend also work? If so you can use her wages too to meet your financial requirement.

Can your girlfriend find a firm that will sponsor her on a Tier 2 General so that she can remain in the UK?
https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/overview

Can you take a second job to make the 18.6?

Last edited by formula; Jun 2nd 2015 at 1:20 pm.