Stolen Biometric Residence Permit Replacement

Old Feb 1st 2021, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

sera345 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Stolen Biometric Residence Permit Replacement

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused and feel like surely I'm missing something. Is this really the process for replacing a stolen BRP?

So my BRP was stolen (along with my handbag) in a burglary about 6 weeks ago. Was hoping the police would find & return it to me so I wouldn't have to apply for a replacement, but no luck so far and have now bitten the bullet and reported it stolen.

Then I filled out the form for the replacement BRP. This seemed mostly fine. None of my details have changed on the BRP, so I thought this would be pretty straightforward. The only mandatory document is a Proof of Address.
  • I can use my drivers licence for this, yes?
  • If I use something like my drivers licence, do I need to fill out the consent forms as I'm not submitting a bank account/utility document? Or do they check your accounts anyway as part of the process.
Now I get to the booking the appointment part - I was really hoping to avoid this as the nearest Core Centre is far away and not really comfortable travelling for hours as we're in lockdown...? Is this 100% required? I thought I saw a line saying it may not be needed in all cases but it's asking me to book anyway.

And then of course I go to look at at the appointments and the only things that seem to be available are standard appointments for an extra £135 in three weeks time!
  • Are free appointments still available, I assume I just have to keep checking back?
I am coming away from this feeling like it's an absolutely ridiculous process. Through no fault of my own I am now potentially out £210, have to take a whole day off work and then have to wait potentially 6 months for them to "decide" something that doesn't need deciding?!?

As an aside, can I even go abroad while I'm waiting for the BRP to be replaced? (Luckily that's less of a big deal this year but would be good to know too)
Old Feb 14th 2021, 11:48 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stolen Biometric Residence Permit Replacement

You can use a driving licence as proof of identity but not proof of address. You'll need a document like a utility bill, bank, credit card or mortgage statement, rental agreement, council tax bill or benefits statement dated within the last three months. Free appointments are available but they are in short supply and are snapped up quickly. Try logging in and checking from around 0830 on a weekday morning. Now that you have reported your previous BRP stolen then you shouldn't travel until you have your new BRP.