Staying with relatives when moving back?!

Old Jun 1st 2021, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

LadyJLK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Staying with relatives when moving back?!

Hi everyone,
This is my first post on here so sorry if I make any mistakes. I ama British Citizen and have been living in Greece for the past 20 years and have now decided to return with my Greek husband and 7 year old son. Due to forces beyond our control our move may be sped up somewhat. I was planning on moving back next year but the house we are living in here has been sold so am thinking it might be wiser just to take the plunge and try to move back now over the summer . We already have a trip to England planned for the end of July and I have parents who have space and could potentially house us until we get organised but am wondering what the implications of this might be as regards appling for residency, schools, tax purposes etc. Any advice welcome!
Thanks.

Last edited by LadyJLK; Jun 1st 2021 at 5:00 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Staying with relatives when moving back?!

First things first.

Unless there is something you have not told us you have to sponsor your husband for a visa in order for him to live with you in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

Financial requirements:
https://assets.publishing.service.go...t-v6.0-ext.pdf

Are you able to do this? If so, then, even if you get your application in now, with current timeframes for applications, it is unlikely you are going to be moving back over the summer.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 4:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Unless there is something you have not told us you have to sponsor your husband for a visa in order for him to live with you in the UK.
Is this not an option SDG? https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/eu-...ritish-citizen

(Caveat: I have no clue but have just seen BiP suggest it to other UKC's living with a spouse in an EU country!).
Old Jun 1st 2021, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for responding, yes, I think we still have a small window to apply for my husband under the E.U. settlement scheme. Would it be possible/ easier to do that on arrival do you think?
Old Jun 1st 2021, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Is this not an option SDG? https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/eu-...ritish-citizen

(Caveat: I have no clue but have just seen BiP suggest it to other UKC's living with a spouse in an EU country!).
Yes,.... you could be right. This settlement scheme is so confusing as to who is eligible or not. (some sites quote having to have had residence in the UK before 31 December 2020)
BIP will be along soon I'm sure.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by LadyJLK
Thanks for responding, yes, I think we still have a small window to apply for my husband under the E.U. settlement scheme. Would it be possible/ easier to do that on arrival do you think?

Apply for an EU Settlement Scheme family permit

You must apply online for an EU Settlement Scheme family permit.

You must be outside the UK to apply.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Staying with relatives when moving back?!

Thanks, I know I seem really uninformed, but it seems to be such a maze ,I am pretty clear on the first step now though
Old Jun 1st 2021, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by LadyJLK
Thanks, I know I seem really uninformed, but it seems to be such a maze ,I am pretty clear on the first step now though
Once you have the necessary permit then as I understand it you apply to the schools in the district where you end up living. Don't believe you can apply until you have an address.
Tax issues are usually sorted out when you start work. YOU should already have an National Insurance number.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 10:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The EU Settlement Scheme is an option for you until March next year. It is by far the most preferable way to go. Your husband should apply for his permit from Greece and then apply to convert this to pre-settled status after he arrives. If he intends to work then he can apply for a National Insurance number. You should already have one. If you have forgotten it then you can apply to find it. Your son will be placed in a local school by your local authority so moving during the summer holidays is a good idea so he can start at the beginning of the new school year.