Stamp4 eufam return to UK

Old Apr 16th 2016, 6:09 am
Just Joined

andrew1p is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stamp4 eufam return to UK

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help.
My wife is Mexican and I am British. We came to Ireland using my treaty rights and my wife now has a EUFam stamp in the passport for 5 years. We have already been here in Ireland for around 2.5 years. We would like to return to England.
Should my wife apply for another EUFam from the UK or can she go with the one she has?
Would the 5 years to get permanent residence begin again if we move?
We are hoping to use the Surinder Singh process and are well on our way with that.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Andrew
Old Apr 16th 2016, 10:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stamp4 eufam return to UK

Originally Posted by andrew1p
Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help.
My wife is Mexican and I am British. We came to Ireland using my treaty rights and my wife now has a EUFam stamp in the passport for 5 years. We have already been here in Ireland for around 2.5 years. We would like to return to England.
Should my wife apply for another EUFam from the UK or can she go with the one she has?
Your wife should apply for a EEA Family Permit under the Surinder Singh route. This is free of charge.

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/surinder-singh

After arriving in the UK she should apply for an EEA Residence card. This cost £65 and can take up to six months to be issued but it lasts for five years.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card

At the end of the five years your wife can apply for a EEA Permanent Residence card. Once she has this she will meet the residence requirements to naturalise as a British citizen.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-re...residence-card

Would the 5 years to get permanent residence begin again if we move?
Yes, the time you have spent in the RoI doesn't count in the UK and vice versa. An alternative would be to remain in the RoI for another 2.5 years and for your wife to naturalise as an Irish citizen.

We are hoping to use the Surinder Singh process and are well on our way with that.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Andrew
You should qualify if you have spent 2.5 years in the RoI. There is more information available on the wiki.

Surinder Singh : British Expat Wiki

Last edited by BritInParis; Apr 16th 2016 at 10:43 pm. Reason: Expanded answer
Old Apr 17th 2016, 3:16 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your reply and the links. I found that very helpful but I'm a bit confused, as from a post elsewhere here on britishexpats, it is said that my wife can go with the family permit she has been issued in Ireland.
We visited England last year and nobody checked anything when we arrived there. Only when returning to Ireland were there passport checks, where she showed her Mexican passport and the GNIB card and was waved through with no further questions.

Last edited by andrew1p; Apr 17th 2016 at 3:17 am. Reason: omitted info
Old Apr 17th 2016, 10:43 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your reply and the links. I found that very helpful but I'm a bit confused, as from a post elsewhere here on britishexpats, it is said that my wife can go with the family permit she has been issued in Ireland.
We visited England last year and nobody checked anything when we arrived there. Only when returning to Ireland were there passport checks, where she showed her Mexican passport and the GNIB card and was waved through with no further questions.
The UK and the RoI are part of the Common Travel Area meaning there are no border controls when travelling between the two countries. If you want to use the Surinder Singh route to move to the UK then it would be highly advisable to apply for a EEA Family Permit first before making the move which will confirm her right to be in the UK before applying for a EEA Residence card which can take months to be issued.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Would it not be possible to use her current EUFam permit to get to the UK and then apply directly for the residence permit instead of getting another EUFam?

Last edited by andrew1p; Apr 17th 2016 at 11:09 am. Reason: spelling error
Old Apr 17th 2016, 11:52 am

Would it not be possible to use her current EUFam permit to get to the UK and then apply directly for the residence permit instead of getting another EUFam?
Technically yes but if her application is rejected after several months of waiting then'll you've got a problem as she'll have no legal immigration status in the UK. Little point in taking that risk when an EU Family Permit applied for in the RoI takes ten days or less and is free.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

A very well taken point!.
So... once issued, am I right to say that we would have up to 6 months to physically make the move?
What if we changed our minds once already approved, and we decided to stay in RoI after all?
To be honest, though, I can't see her ever being turned down for residence. She speaks fluent English, we have children with British passports, she once had a spouse visa and once worked and paid National Insurance contributions.
Knowing this, what's your opinion?
Old Apr 17th 2016, 10:39 pm

A very well taken point!.
So... once issued, am I right to say that we would have up to 6 months to physically make the move?
Correct.

What if we changed our minds once already approved, and we decided to stay in RoI after all?
Then you just stay in the RoI. You don't have to go if you change your mind.

To be honest, though, I can't see her ever being turned down for residence. She speaks fluent English, we have children with British passports, she once had a spouse visa and once worked and paid National Insurance contributions.
Knowing this, what's your opinion?
None of those things would make any difference to a Surinder Singh application. Speaking English, previously living in the UK or having a British family doesn't mean your wife will be given residence based on you exercising your Treaty rights in another EEA member state. You need to demonstrate that you, the British spouse, had moved the centre of your life to the RoI. If you have been living and working there for 2.5 years then the likelihood is that your wife will be granted an EEA Family Permit but you still need to make the application and provide sufficient evidence.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for your info, BritInParis. Now.... another thing.
My wife would like to take a trip to Mexico to visit family just after moving to England. Can she do this straight away on getting the UK family permit?
She was thinking of getting the family permit while we're here in RoI, going over to Mexico and then returning the England.
Otherwise, getting the Family Permit from the UK, moving to the UK and going to Mexico from there.
Would she encounter any problems with either of these scenarios?

Last edited by andrew1p; Apr 18th 2016 at 12:33 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old Apr 18th 2016, 6:43 pm

Thanks so much for your info, BritInParis. Now.... another thing.
My wife would like to take a trip to Mexico to visit family just after moving to England. Can she do this straight away on getting the UK family permit?
She was thinking of getting the family permit while we're here in RoI, going over to Mexico and then returning the England.
Otherwise, getting the Family Permit from the UK, moving to the UK and going to Mexico from there.
Would she encounter any problems with either of these scenarios?
An EEA Family Permit is valid for six months from its date of issue so both of those scenarios are fine.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Now, another scenario...
If my wife was to stay in Ireland for the full 5 years and gets permanent residence, can she then move to England and settle there?
As far as I'm aware, she would still have to wait 5 years to get permanent residence in England, assuming the vote would be to remain in the EU.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 12:13 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

You say you are British. Were you born in Northern Ireland?
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 12:49 pm

Now, another scenario...
If my wife was to stay in Ireland for the full 5 years and gets permanent residence, can she then move to England and settle there?
As far as I'm aware, she would still have to wait 5 years to get permanent residence in England, assuming the vote would be to remain in the EU.
If she were to stay long enough to gain permanent residence in the RoI it wouldn't give her any rights in the UK. She would need to start again if she moved to the UK. If you were going to stay for that length of time then she should consider becoming an Irish citizen as that would give her virtually the same rights to live and work in the UK as a British citizen and it would be unaffected by any fallout from a possible Brexit.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Adi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond reputeAdi008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
An EEA Family Permit is valid for six months from its date of issue so both of those scenarios are fine.
Hi there Britinparis. Sorry for sneaking into the thread. I was wondering is it possible to apply for residence permit after expiry of my eea family permit? I want to apply when my wife will get her residence certificate. I know I can stay in UK even after expiry of EEA FP but i dont know I can apply for residence permit after expiry of EEA FP? can you please help me out? Thank you
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Adi008
Hi there Britinparis. Sorry for sneaking into the thread. I was wondering is it possible to apply for residence permit after expiry of my eea family permit? I want to apply when my wife will get her residence certificate. I know I can stay in UK even after expiry of EEA FP but i dont know I can apply for residence permit after expiry of EEA FP? can you please help me out? Thank you
Yes you can although you won't be able to leave the country and re-enter without a new EEA Family Permit until you have your residence card.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.