Spouse visa within the UK before my T4 visa is expired?

Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Dl2u16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse visa within the UK before my T4 visa is expired?

Dear
I am Korean. I have just completed my master’s degree in UK last month and my Tier4 visa will expire on January 30, 2018.

I and my boyfriend who have permanent residence in Britain and applied for the British citizenship this July are planning to get marry. (We have been together a year and just moved in together this June)

But he is still waiting for the result of citizenship which means that he does not possess the British passport. (He does not have a Korean passport; it is expired).

So, my question is that if there would be enough time to get marry in UK and apply Spouse visa within the UK before my T4 visa is expired?
And when until am I able to switch my T4 to spouse Visa as my visa will be expired soon? (I would like to switch in the UK using premium service.)

Could you kindly give me any advices on this issue?

Thank you for your time and support.

Best,
Dana Lee
Old Sep 6th 2017, 6:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa within the UK before my T4 visa is expired?

Hi Dana,

Providing you meet the financial requirements you can marry and apply for your spouse visa as soon as you like. There's no need to wait for your fiancé to acquire British citizenship. He can sponsor you providing he as a settled person, e.g. holds Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Be mindful that once he becomes a British citizen your fiancé will automatically lose his Korean citizenship.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Dl2u16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply, BritInParis.

We went to registry office in Oxford today, but they said he will need to bring his either Korean or UK passport which he does not possess at the moment. (Korea one is expired and UK one is on the way of processing; British citizenship)

We are not sure how we have to solve this issue.

I appreciate for your time.

Best,
Dana
Old Sep 7th 2017, 2:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dl2u16

We went to registry office in Oxford today, but they said he will need to bring his either Korean or UK passport which he does not possess at the moment. (Korea one is expired and UK one is on the way of processing; British citizenship)

We are not sure how we have to solve this issue. ....
Did they actually reject his expired Korean passport, or have you just assumed that they will?
Old Sep 7th 2017, 8:21 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate for your time.

Best,
Dana
주 영국 대한민국 대사관
Old Sep 7th 2017, 12:03 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

<<<Snip>>>in the parahraph above you stated the 2 ways to solve the issue...<<<snip>>>

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 7th 2017 at 12:21 pm. Reason: Unnecessary comments removed
Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

why doesnt he go to his embassy and renew his Korean passport?
Old Sep 8th 2017, 8:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Why doesn't he go to his embassy and renew his Korean passport?
Presumably because it will be voided immediately that his British Citizenship is confirmed.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Presumably because it will be voided immediately that his British Citizenship is confirmed.
Only if he tells the Korean government.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Only if he tells the Korean government.
I have always wondered about that, given that a number of Asian, and other, countries "prohibit" dual citizenship - how do the governments know? .... Are governments identifying trsvel to countries where a visa would be required, and not finding a visa in the passport?
Old Sep 9th 2017, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

pabonline is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no 'big brother' style government investigation.

It will be the duty of the immigration offer at the port of entry to question anything suspicious based on the amount of time that person has been outside the country and the stamps in the passport.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 8:16 pm

I have always wondered about that, given that a number of Asian, and other, countries "prohibit" dual citizenship - how do the governments know? .... Are governments identifying trsvel to countries where a visa would be required, and not finding a visa in the passport?
Simply put they don't. How vigilant/interested the authorities will vary hugely based on the country in question and also depend on the person's travel habits and country of residence but in practice it can be fairly simple to fly under the radar as a dual national.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis
.... in practice it can be fairly simple to fly under the radar as a dual national.
I have long suspected that that is the case, and I also suspect that it is in that fact that the pragmatic approach of the US and the UK is rooted - you can't really stop dual citizenship, so why bother fighting it.

I am surprised how many people seem to 'fess up immediately and give up their birth citizenship on aquiring British or America citizenship, merely because dual citizenship is "against the rules".

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 9th 2017 at 9:04 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 8:57 pm

I have long suspected that that is the case, and I also suspect that it is in that fact that the pragmatic approach of the US and the UK is rooted.

I am surprised how many people seem to 'fess up immediately and give up their birth citizenship on aquiring British or America citizenship, merely because dual citizenship is "against the rules".
Depends on the penalties involved. Former Indian citizens who don't surrender their passports can end up with a prison sentence.