British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Spouse VISA via self employed Success! - Financial Requirement section (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/spouse-visa-via-self-employed-success-financial-requirement-section-853513/)

UKguy0061 Feb 27th 2015 3:41 pm

Spouse VISA via self employed Success! - Financial Requirement section

Just wanted to post some advise for others having difficulty with the financial requirement bit of the spouse Visa if your self employed. Even though we didn't use a lawyer we still had a successful application.

My partner got her VISA using the UKBA premium service, we got a decision within 2.5hours! The premium service is £1001 total so that's £400 extra on top of the normal £601 for the postal application. In my opinion it's well worth £400 to avoid 2 months of uncertainty, nail biting and hassle. Plus if you are applying close to April you might have to reapply for the next financial year if your application gets sent back.

I'm self employed so I had to provide tons of extra paperwork but it worked out ok in the end. Here's how I did it:

For the Financial Requirement section:

- Brief letter stating the nature of you self-employment (so I created a formal letter which stated my job title, stated that my income exceeds the minimum requirement, stated when I registered as self employed with HMRC and also where to find the income on the bank statements I provided)

- Evidence of the amount of tax payable, paid and unpaid for the last full financial year (I provided 3 documents here. Firstly a print out copy of the Annual self-assessment tax return to HMRC for the last financial year. Secondly I provided a Statement of Account SA302. Thirdly I got a print out of my Tax payment calculation from HMRC. You can get all of these posted to you if you call HMRC )

- Proof of registration with HMRC as self-employed (I couldn't find my original copy of this so I phoned HMRC and they sent me out a confirmation of self-employment)

- Unique tax reference number UTR (There is no document for this but the UTR number appears on the HMRC letters so that is fine)

- Personal bank statements for the same 12-month period as the tax return showing that the income from self-employment has been paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly – need full bank statements for each month of tax year period (I have paperless banking so I had to call my bank and request paper copies of my statement between the start and end of the last financial year)

- Evidence of ongoing self-employment through evidence of payment of Class 2 National Insurance contributions (I proved 2 documents here. Firstly call HMRC and ask for a schedule of payments for Class 2 National Insurance contributions. Secondly I went to my bank and got a authorised print out (with official bank stamp) of the class 2 National insurance payments made to HMRC from the end of the last financial year to the current date.

- Unaudited accounts for the last full financial year and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation, from an accountant who is a member of a UK Recognised Supervisory Body (as defined in the Companies Act 2006) (This was the final document I provided and tricky to get hold of if you do your own accounts. First of all this is just one letter, you can't get a certificate of confirmation from an accountant basically all you need do is insure that the accountant puts their credentials (ICAEW) and membership number at the bottom of the letter next to where they sign. I paid an accountant £150 for this letter but you must insure they are a fully qualified accountant member of the ICAEW (or other allowed body) otherwise the letter is worthless!! There are lots of qualified accountants in the UK that will be able to do this for you. Basically you need to provide them with your income statement calculations which you used to fill out your tax return from that they can draft you a letter containing these calculations and saying they confirm the calculations based on the information you provided them with)

So it took time to get all of the documents but we had a successful application. I recommend checking all pieces of information with a fine tooth-comb to insure no screw-ups.

Hope this helps.

WEBlue Feb 28th 2015 4:26 pm

Re: Spouse VISA via self employed Success! - Financial Requirement section

I presume you live and work in the UK, UKguy0061?

Thank you for providing this clear and detailed list of self-employment documentation. It's very helpful to know what kinds of proof lead to a successful spouse visa outcome for self-employed folks.

UKguy0061 Feb 28th 2015 4:33 pm

Yes that's correct. Glad you found it helpful

RM77 Mar 11th 2015 4:44 pm

Ukguy....congrats
Where was your spouse based?
Just wondering how you used the premium service ?

UKguy0061 Mar 11th 2015 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by RM77 (Post 11589391)
Ukguy....congrats
Where was your spouse based?
Just wondering how you used the premium service ?

She was UK based.

Using the premium service you just pick a date and the closest UKBA centre and then pay the full £1001 when you make the booking. Then turn up 15mins before your appointment time, hand over the documents, short 10min interview,they take the fingerprints & do the ID checks, then you leave the building for about 2 hours, then when you come back to the building they tell you if the application has been successful or not.

https://www.gov.uk/ukvi-premium-serv...ntres/overview

alfista1 Mar 12th 2015 2:25 pm

:thumbsup:Congrats!

I wish this service was available overseas for the first time application.
I would definitely pay the extra 400 GBP.

I just paid that amount to change my flight to stay an extra 3 weeks with my son before I have to go back to the UK without my family again.
I didn't hesitate. Saw the look in my son's eyes when I said I could stay longer. Priceless.

Good luck

pleasehelp1 Mar 15th 2015 9:39 am

i am so happy i found this thread, ukguy please help me, can u tell send me a copy of the sa302 you used please, u can hide your personal details i am having so much problems with the sa302 and dont know what i am doing wrong, or if you can just put the figures they sent you in the sa302 in the section income received before tax was taken off, please help me, i will be so thankful amd god bless u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

needhelp!

frandamby Jun 1st 2015 10:35 am

Hi UKguy0061,

Can you confirm that you applied under Category F for self employment (I.e last financial years salary only?)

Your post really has been a great help!

Thanks
Fran

UKguy0061 Jun 1st 2015 2:34 pm

Yep category F the last financial year

UKguy0061 Jun 1st 2015 2:41 pm

I've just seen this. Lol I'm not sending anyone my SA302!! All you need to do is call HMRC and ask for a copy of your SA302, you dont need to do anything with it.... You just supply it as part of the package of documents for the application. This will prove that you earn over the £18,600 per annum minimum threshold.

Originally Posted by pleasehelp1 (Post 11592555)
i am so happy i found this thread, ukguy please help me, can u tell send me a copy of the sa302 you used please, u can hide your personal details i am having so much problems with the sa302 and dont know what i am doing wrong, or if you can just put the figures they sent you in the sa302 in the section income received before tax was taken off, please help me, i will be so thankful amd god bless u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

needhelp!

hisco Jun 11th 2015 2:11 pm

Hi UKguy0061,
Congratulations on your successful visa application. I am preparing for my visa renewal with category F, and I am a bit worried that I have all the documents.

When it to provide the last financial year accounts, do you mean the tax year (April 7th 2014 till April 6th 2015, or our limited company account year ... May is cut off month for ours).

Thanks!

UKguy0061 Jun 11th 2015 2:38 pm

Hi,

Yes it's the tax year (April - April) not the company year

Originally Posted by hisco (Post 11672674)
Hi UKguy0061,
Congratulations on your successful visa application. I am preparing for my visa renewal with category F, and I am a bit worried that I have all the documents.

When it to provide the last financial year accounts, do you mean the tax year (April 7th 2014 till April 6th 2015, or our limited company account year ... May is cut off month for ours).

Thanks!

hisco Jun 12th 2015 3:20 pm

Hi UKguy0061,
Thank you very much for your quick response! Your post and response is most helpful. However, all our documents including Company Tax return CT600 date will be May 2014-May 2015, so I thought it may be better to provide the latest accounts covering same period as CT600. I am trying to talk to help line but the line is busy and I am waiting for call back.
With help from your post, I feel that I am so close to finishing off with the massive preparation for the big day. Fingers crossed.

redcoat Jun 12th 2015 6:36 pm

Hello UKguy0061,
I am currently trying to work out if I can bring my wife to the UK but I am very confused. I read the figure of £18,600 required, yet I have been told that the personal tax allowance is deducted from the gross income for the tax year. In effect, if I earned £25,000 (self-employed) it is counted as only £15,000 taxable income. I was astonished. Do you know if this is correct?
Thanks, Steve

SanDiegogirl Jun 12th 2015 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by redcoat (Post 11673770)
Hello UKguy0061,
I am currently trying to work out if I can bring my wife to the UK but I am very confused. I read the figure of £18,600 required, yet I have been told that the personal tax allowance is deducted from the gross income for the tax year. In effect, if I earned £25,000 (self-employed) it is counted as only £15,000 taxable income. I was astonished. Do you know if this is correct?
Thanks, Steve

The figure of 18,600 is gross earned income for employed persons.