British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Spouse visa uk financial requirements (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/spouse-visa-uk-financial-requirements-901883/)

Redranj Aug 16th 2017 6:44 pm

Spouse visa uk financial requirements

Hello,

I am due to apply for my Canadian wife and 2 children and understand the income requirements but have a question in regards to savings and investments.

I own my own house and the value of the property far exceeds the amount required but will I need to sell my home in order to show the funds or is simply owning the home outright not enough.

Thanks in advance and I would really appreciate any advice.

spouse of scouse Aug 16th 2017 7:01 pm

Re: Spouse visa uk financial requirements

Originally Posted by Redranj (Post 12318227)
Hello,

I am due to apply for my Canadian wife and 2 children and understand the income requirements but have a question in regards to savings and investments.

I own my own house and the value of the property far exceeds the amount required but will I need to sell my home in order to show the funds or is simply owning the home outright not enough.

Thanks in advance and I would really appreciate any advice.

Hi. The funds have to be cash savings and readily available. Unfortunately you'd need to sell your home if you can't meet the financial requirements any other way.

SanDiegogirl Aug 16th 2017 7:20 pm

If you need savings to qualify, that indicates that you will not have employment income (or not enough) and that you will be living off savings while in the UK - hence you need the monetary resources in cash.

Redranj Aug 16th 2017 7:57 pm

I am employed in Canada but do not have a job in the uk upon returning, I want to apply and then arrive in uk together

Redranj Aug 16th 2017 8:01 pm

Thank you for the quick replies!!

Am I able to apply for British passports for my 2 kids as they are British citizens by descent? Or do I have to apply for their citizenship first?, and is this possible from canada

SanDiegogirl Aug 16th 2017 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Redranj (Post 12318286)

Am I able to apply for British passports for my 2 kids as they are British citizens by descent? Or do I have to apply for their citizenship first?, and is this possible from canada

If your children are British by descent then you just apply for their passports from Canada.

mikelincs Aug 16th 2017 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Redranj (Post 12318286)

Just apply for their passports, yes it is possible from Canada

Redranj Aug 16th 2017 8:15 pm

Thanks, normally takes a month or 2 for passports.

Once they have British passports will I then only need to sponsor my wife?

mikelincs Aug 16th 2017 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Redranj (Post 12318302)

Yes

HKG3 Aug 16th 2017 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Redranj (Post 12318302)

You can apply for your children's British passports using the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

HKG3 Aug 16th 2017 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Redranj (Post 12318280)
I am employed in Canada but do not have a job in the uk upon returning, I want to apply and then arrive in uk together

How about using cash savings to satisfy the financial requirement? You will need £62,500 cash savings for at lease six months in order to qualify.

If your money comes from a house sale, you do not need to have the money for six months to qualify.

Redranj Aug 16th 2017 10:25 pm

Thanks for replying guys, going to try and secure a job in uk so we don't have to sell up.

my income here is sufficient so will see how the job hunting goes

Redranj Sep 13th 2017 7:10 pm

Am I able to use cash given to me by my sister to show the savings requirement, I am aware the funds will need to be in my account for 6 months before applying.

Do I then need to give evidence as to where the funds are from, my intention is to return the money once we get the visa,

BritInParis Sep 13th 2017 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Redranj (Post 12337515)
Am I able to use cash given to me by my sister to show the savings requirement, I am aware the funds will need to be in my account for 6 months before applying.

Do I then need to give evidence as to where the funds are from, my intention is to return the money once we get the visa,

You can accept money from a relative and hold it in your account for six months in order to meet the cash savings requirement but this must be a gift, not a loan.

Redranj Sep 13th 2017 7:32 pm

It will be given as a gift but really just to meet the savings requirement, surely others have done or thought to do something similar?