Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Spouse visa - Savings. ( moved from Spouse VIsa - using savings thread)

Spouse visa - Savings. ( moved from Spouse VIsa - using savings thread)

Old Feb 17th 2019, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

MartinBen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse visa - Savings. ( moved from Spouse VIsa - using savings thread)

We're in the same boat - looking at savings route.

We are both living together in US and looking to return early May.

I have around 42k in my UK bank - of which some were Premium Bonds that I've cashed in - but within the last 6-mths.

In the US we have about $28k in our joint account and my wife has two smaller accounts in her own name which she's thinking of closing and putting into our joint account so it is all in one place.

Both of us are still working so earning money to put into the joint account.

We're wondering if that would be acceptable to the authorities re proving we have enough funds?
Old Feb 17th 2019, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Maddox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spouse Visa, using the savings route.

Originally Posted by MartinBen

I have around 42k in my UK bank - of which some were Premium Bonds that I've cashed in - but within the last 6-mths.

In the US we have about $28k in our joint account and my wife has two smaller accounts in her own name which she's thinking of closing and putting into our joint account so it is all in one place.

We're wondering if that would be acceptable to the authorities re proving we have enough funds?
Ok, so as far as I know the money needs to be in the the British Citizens accounts only but somebody around here might be able to confirm that. I believe the money being over a couple of different accounts is fine but you're going to have to show bank statements for both accounts.

Did you have £42,000 + £21716.63 ($28,000) = £63716, six months ago? Also, that is kind of cutting it fine because the exchange rate jumps around a little. It can't have gone under £62,500, not once, in six months.

Who'd have thought it would be so hard to move to the UK?
Old Feb 17th 2019, 10:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You need sufficient funds held for at least six months. Have you held enough in your joint account for long enough to make up the shortfall in your liquidated Premium Bonds?
Old Feb 17th 2019, 10:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maddox
Ok, so as far as I know the money needs to be in the the British Citizens accounts only but somebody around here might be able to confirm that. I believe the money being over a couple of different accounts is fine but you're going to have to show bank statements for both accounts.

Did you have £42,000 + £21716.63 ($28,000) = £63716, six months ago? Also, that is kind of cutting it fine because the exchange rate jumps around a little. It can't have gone under £62,500, not once, in six months.

Who'd have thought it would be so hard to move to the UK?
The exchange rate only applies at the time of application, not during the entire six month period.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Default Spouse visa - Savings. ( moved from Spouse VIsa - using savings thread)

Straight answer is 'no' re. pre-liquidated Premium Bonds although I did read on a UK Gov page somewhere that Government Bonds were considered ok re liquidity and 62,500 minimum.

Looking through all our joint accounts plus my UK one we look good from 1st Jan 2019 re. being over that minimum - if they accept the bonds etc. so we may have to defer the move until early July or even August which is a pain as I was hoping to avoid having to shell out $600 for a renewal of the Green Card.

Of course there is always the chance I will secure a job offer in the UK before then which would enable us to get a Spouse Visa.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Of course there is always the chance I will secure a job offer in the UK before then which would enable us to get a Spouse Visa.
You'd have to be in that job for 6 months+ before you can bring your wife over.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 11:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maddox
Ok, so as far as I know the money needs to be in the the British Citizens accounts only but somebody around here might be able to confirm that.
For clarification, the cash savings account can be in the applicant's name, the sponsor's name, or held jointly.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

So - my wife has these two accounts in her name - one has about $400 in but the other is an unknown amount - she won't know until she goes to check but it might well be $2-3k.

If that is the case would she be better off the leave those accounts exactly where they are and just get an official bank statement off them?
Old Feb 17th 2019, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Maddox - don't think so re. 6mths job as I've had a job here in the US for 18mths now so all I need to do is produce my wage slips to show my US earnings along with an official job offer letter from the UK company saying it would pay over the minimum - around 18,250.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 11:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Straight answer is 'no' re. pre-liquidated Premium Bonds although I did read on a UK Gov page somewhere that Government Bonds were considered ok re liquidity and 62,500 minimum.

Looking through all our joint accounts plus my UK one we look good from 1st Jan 2019 re. being over that minimum - if they accept the bonds etc. so we may have to defer the move until early July or even August which is a pain as I was hoping to avoid having to shell out $600 for a renewal of the Green Card.

Martin, a couple of tips on using the forum effectively. When replying to a post, click 'quote' under that post - that way people will know who you're responding to. Also, it's never a good idea to tack a question onto someone else's thread, things get confusing for those trying to help. It's always best to start your own thread, so you can receive information specific to your own circumstances. This also allows you to return to the thread to ask any subsequent questions you may have. I'm going to ask a moderator to move your posts to your own thread.
Old Feb 18th 2019, 3:15 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Spouse visa - Savings. ( moved from Spouse VIsa - using savings thread)

I have split the original thread so that each poster has their own space to ask their questions.
Old Feb 18th 2019, 7:17 am

So - my wife has these two accounts in her name - one has about $400 in but the other is an unknown amount - she won't know until she goes to check but it might well be $2-3k.

If that is the case would she be better off the leave those accounts exactly where they are and just get an official bank statement off them?
Personally I would be parking all the money in a single GBP bank account for six months and deferring the move accordingly. It will make the paperwork much easier and greatly reduces the risk of an incorrect refusal. If you qualify for US citizenship then that is also something to consider organising for yourself over the next six months to enable you to return to the US at will in the future.
Old Feb 18th 2019, 7:17 am

Maddox - don't think so re. 6mths job as I've had a job here in the US for 18mths now so all I need to do is produce my wage slips to show my US earnings along with an official job offer letter from the UK company saying it would pay over the minimum - around 18,250.
You are correct - although the minimum salary is £18,600 pa.
Old Feb 18th 2019, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Spouse visa - Savings. ( moved from Spouse VIsa - using savings thread)

So I sat and crunched the numbers and if we apply from 1st March we are $3600 under the requirement and if we wait until 1st April it is slightly better at $2805 under so it all comes down to what my wife finds in this old bank account of hers later this week!

We could defer the move a few more months but then we'd have to find another house to move to (lease expires end April) as well as paying $600 for a 10-year green card renewal (end-May) which seems a little silly if we are trying to leave the US and never come back to work there.

I'll update next weekend.

Still looking for a job also which would alleviate this problem.
Old Feb 18th 2019, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Kinda in the same boat here mate. Our lease us up at the end of May but we can't apply until after June. So we decided to take the dog over first in May then my wife will return in June and stay with her parents while she applies and then come back to England. Fun isn't it?

And we're the lucky ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.