Spouse Visa Question - Local bank statements?

Old Oct 19th 2018, 3:34 am
Just Joined

Joki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse Visa Question - Local bank statements?

Hello all,

My wife and I are planning to return to the UK later this year from Japan with me acting as her sponsor.

As I don't have a job lined up for when we return, we'll be relying on savings to show I can support my wife financially.

The majority of these savings came in the form of a gift from my parents which was deposited into my UK bank account back in January '18. I have the statements to show the funds entering my account and leaving my parents' accounts, further statements showing my parents haven't been left destitute, as well as an affidavit from them confirming the funds were a gift.

However, I'm worried that, as I don't really use my UK account, it could be seen as "funds parking". Obviously in Japan I'm working and I have savings across two separate banks which shows I contribute to the local economy etc. I very much intend to do the same upon returning to the UK. Do you think it's necessary to submit copies of bank statements from these accounts as well?

The reason I'm reluctant to do this is that the statements will be in Japanese so will need to be officially translated. This will take time and I'm concerned that, by the time I get the translations and apply for the visa, they'll be out of date (28 day rule).

What do you all think? Is it worth getting my Japanese statements or do you think I'll be OK using my UK statements only?

Thanks in advance for your time and any replies.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 5:08 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse Visa Question - Local bank statements?

Originally Posted by Joki
Hello all,

My wife and I are planning to return to the UK later this year from Japan with me acting as her sponsor.

As I don't have a job lined up for when we return, we'll be relying on savings to show I can support my wife financially.

The majority of these savings came in the form of a gift from my parents which was deposited into my UK bank account back in January '18. I have the statements to show the funds entering my account and leaving my parents' accounts, further statements showing my parents haven't been left destitute, as well as an affidavit from them confirming the funds were a gift.

However, I'm worried that, as I don't really use my UK account, it could be seen as "funds parking". Obviously in Japan I'm working and I have savings across two separate banks which shows I contribute to the local economy etc. I very much intend to do the same upon returning to the UK. Do you think it's necessary to submit copies of bank statements from these accounts as well?

The reason I'm reluctant to do this is that the statements will be in Japanese so will need to be officially translated. This will take time and I'm concerned that, by the time I get the translations and apply for the visa, they'll be out of date (28 day rule).

What do you all think? Is it worth getting my Japanese statements or do you think I'll be OK using my UK statements only?

Thanks in advance for your time and any replies.
I don't think you'll have any problems at all with just using the UK account. The rules permit gifted money, you have all the necessary documentation, you'll be fine.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Joki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I don't think you'll have any problems at all with just using the UK account. The rules permit gifted money, you have all the necessary documentation, you'll be fine.

Hello Spouse of Scouse,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think it's worth mentioning my Japanese savings in the Appendix 2 (Financial Requirements) Form anyway?

I don't want the immigration officer to wonder how we're surviving in Japan.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 10:27 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joki
Hello Spouse of Scouse,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think it's worth mentioning my Japanese savings in the Appendix 2 (Financial Requirements) Form anyway?

I don't want the immigration officer to wonder how we're surviving in Japan.
As long as the funds in your UK account haven't fallen below £62,500 at any time in at least 6 months prior to your wife's visa application, then you've met the financial requirements and there's no need to add any other financial information.

All the ECO processing your application is looking for is that all the criteria has been met, and as long as that's the case then your wife will receive her visa. Extra information isn't needed and just confuses the issue. I do understand your reasoning about submitting your account in Japan, but honestly, the ECO will neither question nor care. It's just a 'tick the box' application.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Oct 20th 2018 at 10:32 am.