Spouse visa - proof of living together

Old Sep 7th 2017, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Hoop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse visa - proof of living together

Hi all,

I am from Hong Kong, married to my British husband for over 10 years. We have two school age kids. We came to the Uk last month and hoping to get a spouse visa within UK. And found that is not possible. Our fault we didn't look into details. We are trying to gather all the documents together before we apply.

Question is about "proof of living together". We lived in China for a few year, and Hong Kong for a year, Vietnam for another year. My name is not shown on utility bills (as it is in landlord's or my husband's name), and my bank statement is sent to my parents' home in HK (as we moved house often, so I decided to keep my post in one place). I am a housewife, so no work contract proof.

Am quite worried that I could only have address proof for that one year in hkg (which is two years ago). We lived in Vietnam last year, which I have no address proof. Only my husband's work applied vietnam dependent visa for me. Honestly, we don't keep mails for so long.

Can I use other proof? Marriage certificate and kids' birth certificates? Photos and holiday ?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
Old Sep 7th 2017, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Spouse visa - proof of living together

I might be able to find some address proof after we got married, while we lived in HKG long time ago. Would they accept it? Or have to be for the past 2 years?
Old Sep 7th 2017, 12:05 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

You are married - why do you think you need any proof of living together?
Old Sep 7th 2017, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by az2014
You are married - why do you think you need any proof of living together?
I thought I need to show them some evidence of us living together after married.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

pabonline is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this is requested to support the application but is not strictly required, just make sure you have got photos together from across the time of your relationship. A letter to explain your history and circumstances will also help.

Last edited by pabonline; Sep 7th 2017 at 5:42 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hoop
Hi all,

I am from Hong Kong, married to my British husband for over 10 years. We have two school age kids. We came to the Uk last month and hoping to get a spouse visa within UK. And found that is not possible. Our fault we didn't look into details. We are trying to gather all the documents together before we apply.

Question is about "proof of living together". We lived in China for a few year, and Hong Kong for a year, Vietnam for another year. My name is not shown on utility bills (as it is in landlord's or my husband's name), and my bank statement is sent to my parents' home in HK (as we moved house often, so I decided to keep my post in one place). I am a housewife, so no work contract proof.

Am quite worried that I could only have address proof for that one year in hkg (which is two years ago). We lived in Vietnam last year, which I have no address proof. Only my husband's work applied vietnam dependent visa for me. Honestly, we don't keep mails for so long.

Can I use other proof? Marriage certificate and kids' birth certificates? Photos and holiday ?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
I think I could help the OP on a number of unrelated points -

1) Apply for your UK spouse visa using your British National (Overseas) passport if you are entitle to one. You will be treated as a Commonwealth Citizen in the UK which means that you can -

a) Register to vote in all UK elections - being on the electoral roll helps you to build up your own credit history in the UK.

b) Apply for British Civil Service jobs once you have Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).

2) If you hold a Hong Kong driving licence and you got it by passing a driving test in Hong Kong, then you can exchange your Hong Kong driving licence to an UK one without test.

3) You can apply for UK bank accounts in Hong Kong before coming over, HSBC offers this service.

https://www.hsbc.com.hk/personal/hsb...s-account.html
Old Sep 7th 2017, 6:09 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I need to show them some evidence of us living together after married.
You'll be fine with just your marriage certificate and a few photos of the two of you taken over the years. Your ECO will be mainly concerned with being convinced that your relationship is genuine and subsisting - I think 10 years married and two children is excellent proof of that! It wouldn't hurt to send the proof of address in HG from two years ago as well.

You'll need to include you children's birth certificates in any case if they are emigrating with you. Best of luck for a speedy decision
Old Sep 7th 2017, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HKG3
I think I could help the OP on a number of unrelated points -

1) Apply for your UK spouse visa using your British National (Overseas) passport if you are entitle to one. You will be treated as a Commonwealth Citizen in the UK which means that you can -

a) Register to vote in all UK elections - being on the electoral roll helps you to build up your own credit history in the UK.

b) Apply for British Civil Service jobs once you have Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).

2) If you hold a Hong Kong driving licence and you got it by passing a driving test in Hong Kong, then you can exchange your Hong Kong driving licence to an UK one without test.

3) You can apply for UK bank accounts in Hong Kong before coming over, HSBC offers this service.

https://www.hsbc.com.hk/personal/hsb...s-account.html
Thank you so much for the input. I am a BNO holder and still in the U.k., gathering all the document before I head back for the application. I am hoping to go back in late Oct or Nov, after we get the kids in school and house set up. Hopefully, it won't be peak season to apply spouse visa.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to have the marriage certificate professionally translated if it is not in English or Welsh language.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you so much for the input. I am a BNO holder and still in the U.k., gathering all the document before I head back for the application. I am hoping to go back in late Oct or Nov, after we get the kids in school and house set up. Hopefully, it won't be peak season to apply spouse visa.
Remember to use your BN(O) passport for your UK spouse visa application.

Apply after 18 November 2017 - after that date, HKSAR passport holders cannot apply for an UK working holiday visas until 2018.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HKG3
Remember to use your BN(O) passport for your UK spouse visa application.

Apply after 18 November 2017 - after that date, HKSAR passport holders cannot apply for an UK working holiday visas until 2018.
Thank you so much!