Spouse Visa - Proof of income question

Old Mar 12th 2018, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

kavy2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Spouse Visa - Proof of income question

Hi I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with a confusing matter to do with sponsoring my Partners VISA. This has all got to do with Income for me as a sponsor to my partner which I need to have the normal £18600 for.

We are applying for a Spouse Visa (we have a civil partnership)

The basics:

I was employed until March 2017 on a salary of 34K however, I registered as self employed in tax year 2016-2017.

my understanding was that, my partner would be able to use me as a sponspor after my first years tax return has gone through...

I have filed my tax return for 2016-2017 however I have NO income from self employment in it - that year was all employment income, with a few losses declared in the tax return.

My self employment income for 2017-2018 will be above threshold figure - probably around 20k

My question is - What do I do, I have been getting conflicting answers from solicitors.

Some have told me I need to wait until I have a full years income from self employment (IE wait until January 2019 before applying- when my full years tax has been submitted for 2017-2018)

Others have told me that I can apply with my last years Tax return (but my understanding is they can't be a combination of self-employed and employed incomes.)

Has anyone applied for a visa during this transition between employed work and self employed work?

This subject is extremely hard to find clarity on in documentation.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Ryan