British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Spouse Visa: Last few questions on application to check (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/spouse-visa-last-few-questions-application-check-943969/)

lndn May 14th 2022 10:24 am

Spouse Visa: Last few questions on application to check

Hi all

I wanted to triple check a few answers on the application or the UK spouse visa for my wife who is from Brazil & applying from there.

Where I have a question on my answer I have put in bold.

Question: What languages do you speak fluently?
Answer: Shall we include English? Her IELTS test gave her a B2

Question: What is the ownership status of your home? (this is relating to the home she is living in Brazil during the application.
Answer: I have lived at this address for 21 years, I live here with my parents and my brother. My parents rent the property. Is this answer ok & does a tenancy agreement need to be provided even though this is just an address she is living whilst applying?
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...a2b9de169d.jpg
She lived here prior to coming to the UK for 3 years and returned in March 2022 in order to apply for the VISA.

Question: Date you plan to arrive in the UK
Answer: Not sure what to put, does it have an impact on the application?

Question: Do you and my name have any shared financial responsibilities?(Required)For example, utility bills, mortgage or rent, childcare costs, loan payments
Answer: No. The only thing we both have a name on is the tenancy agreement in place for when comes to the UK. She has not lived here before but will do so when/if visa approved. Shall I put yes?

Question: Why do you not live with your partner?
Answer: I am currently not living with my name at his home address in London because I do not have a valid Visa that allows me to live in the United Kingdom. If this Visa application is approved, it is my full intention to live with my name as supported with the evidence documents that shall be submitted with this application. Is this answer suitable?

Question: What type of ceremony was your wedding or civil partnership?
Answer: A civil ceremony in an office. This was a fairly simple and low key event where we went to a office to sign the civil partnership. Is there a more technical term for this type?

Question relating to my partner in Brazil's residential status: What is the ownership status of your home? Rent/own/other??
Answer: I have lived at this address for 21 years, I live here with my parents and my brother. My parents rent the property. Is this a suitable an answer & should a tenancy agreement be provided as part of the documents? Even though this is the address in Brazil.

IELS Certificate: I've uploaded the certificate (removed personal info) - is this accepted by the home office? This is general training test with a B2 result but has a UKVI reference number.

Really appreciate any help, thanks everyone!

BritInParis May 21st 2022 11:06 am

Re: Spouse Visa: Last few questions on application to check

1. Portuguese, English
2. Living with parents. No paperwork required.
3. Pick the date you would like her to arrive. Bear in mind processing times are now six months.
4. Yes, and include the tenancy agreement.
5. That’s fine. You can also write something about the financial requirements for the application requiring you to work in the UK for six months.
6. ‘Civil ceremony’ is fine.
7. See previous answer.
8. That test certificate is not suitable for this application type. There is a very specific list of tests and test centres which are acceptable. This often where people are refused so check the requirements carefully when booking the next test.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prove-yo...uage-test-selt

lndn May 23rd 2022 2:50 pm

Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

re the English test, this is IELTS test for UK visa not academic. I’ve spoken to the home office and they have advised it’s accepted. I used the link you shared and seemed to be on the list.

im not sure if I’m totally missing something?

BritInParis May 23rd 2022 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by lndn (Post 13116970)

re the English test, this is IELTS test for UK visa not academic. I’ve spoken to the home office and they have advised it’s accepted. I used the link you shared and seemed to be on the list.

The certificate states ‘General Training’ at the top. Typically these are not suitable for spouse visa applications. You want the IELTS for UKVI Life Skills test.

Policy reader May 23rd 2022 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by lndn (Post 13116970)

Your test (B2) will flawlessly work. Read the page 12 of following guidance:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ly_members.pdf

lndn May 23rd 2022 8:03 pm

Thanks both.

this is the issue I’m having, some say absolutely no or absolutely yes. It’s not a simple process!

BritInParis May 23rd 2022 11:44 pm

If the test your wife took doesn’t appear on the approved list then her application will be refused.

Policy reader May 24th 2022 4:41 am

Originally Posted by lndn (Post 13117060)
Thanks both.

this is the issue I’m having, some say absolutely no or absolutely yes. It’s not a simple process!

Your test centre (BR051) is very clearly on UKVI’s list at below. And your test is having the UKVI number which will be asked to input onto the application form. Worth mentioning that official guidance trumps all opinions or assumptions.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...20.05.2022.ods

christmasoompa May 24th 2022 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Policy reader (Post 13117119)
Your test centre (BR051) is very clearly on UKVI’s list at below. And your test is having the UKVI number which will be asked to input onto the application form. Worth mentioning that official guidance trumps all opinions or assumptions.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...20.05.2022.ods

I don't think anybody is saying that the test centre isn't ok. It's whether the type of test is ok, as several different ones are offered, and not all are accepted for UK spousal visas. But hopefully BiP can clarify and point the OP in the direction of the relevant info for their application, and what the test type they need to do is.

christmasoompa May 24th 2022 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by lndn (Post 13117060)
Thanks both.

Just go with the official guidance. The link given to you above says "‘IELTS for UKVI’ or ‘IELTS Life Skills’", so it appears your General test isn't acceptable.

Policy reader May 24th 2022 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13117221)
Just go with the official guidance. The link given to you above says "‘IELTS for UKVI’ or ‘IELTS Life Skills’", so it appears your General test isn't acceptable.

Stop grasping at straws as it wouldn't change the fact that the op's test will be accepted. Because it is from UKVI with the UKVI's unique reference for verification purposes. Also it is even higher than B1 which a large swath of applicants do not undertake thus there might not be any member's experience available on this board but there are on other bigger boards.

christmasoompa May 24th 2022 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Policy reader (Post 13117269)
Stop grasping at straws as it wouldn't change the fact that the op's test will be accepted. Because it is from UKVI with the UKVI's unique reference for verification purposes. Also it is even higher than B1 which a large swath of applicants do not undertake thus there might not be any member's experience available on this board but there are on other bigger boards.

None of that is relevant if only a certain test will be accepted. For example, for Canadian immigration, only 'General' IELTS tests (as the OP has taken) are accepted. Anybody who submits a result from the 'Academic' or 'Life Skills' tests will be instantly rejected, regardless of their level or where they took the test.

Now I have no idea what is accepted for UK spousal visas, but I do trust what BiP says, and also the link above clearly says that only two tests will be accepted, neither of which are General. So personally I wouldn't risk it, I'd take BiP's advice and take another test rather than risk being refused. But it's up to the OP eh?

lndn May 24th 2022 3:27 pm

Appreciate everyone’s responses with this.

I’ll do some more digging for our own sanity and hopefully it can help other applicants down the line. The reason for my partner booking this test was her friend also took the same test a few years ago (applying from same country & uk spouse visa, the visa was approved) and thought that having a higher certificate of English could give more opportunity in the UK than the standard life skills test.

the reason for triple checking this one is because of the lack of clarity on it

Policy reader May 24th 2022 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by lndn (Post 13117279)
Appreciate everyone’s responses with this.

I’ll do some more digging for our own sanity and hopefully it can help other applicants down the line. The reason for my partner booking this test was her friend also took the same test a few years ago (applying from same country & uk spouse visa, the visa was approved) and thought that having a higher certificate of English could give more opportunity in the UK than the standard life skills test.

the reason for triple checking this one is because of the lack of clarity on it

Thanks op for confirming your friend's experience and similar successful experiences can be found in other larger boards too. Don't confuse from several of above botched advices and simply stick to the official guidance which manifestly recognize your test.

christmasoompa May 24th 2022 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Policy reader (Post 13117288)
Thanks op for confirming your friend's experience and similar successful experiences can be found in other larger boards too. Don't confuse from several of above botched advices and simply stick to the official guidance which manifestly recognize your test.

The official guidance (linked to above) says the opposite. But regardless of your opinion, there's no need to be so rude. BiP is one of our most valued and respected members, we are all very grateful for the time he gives to the forum and his expert (far from 'botched') advice.

Perhaps the rules have simply changed since the OP's friend applied. That's certainly a lot more likely than BiP being wrong. :lol: