Spouse visa - kids

Old Feb 6th 2015, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

kdiglas78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse visa - kids

I am a British citizen and my wife is a US citizen and we have been married for 10 years. We have two children together who are British citizens by birth. We recently decided to move to the UK (I was brought up and lived here until my early 20's). I am in the UK with the children where I have secured the necessary work to sponsor her visa. On the Visa4UK application it asks her if she has any dependent children. Should she answer yes or no? They are living in the UK with me, and that is what is causing our confusion.

Thanks.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa - kids

In this case, "dependent children" would be non-British and you would therefore be subject to the higher financial requirement. The full Appendix 2 which also has to be completed is a bit clearer in this regard.

Your children's details will be specified/explained in Section 1.27 of Appendix 2.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kdiglas78 View Post
I am a British citizen and my wife is a US citizen and we have been married for 10 years. We have two children together who are British citizens by birth. We recently decided to move to the UK (I was brought up and lived here until my early 20's). I am in the UK with the children where I have secured the necessary work to sponsor her visa. On the Visa4UK application it asks her if she has any dependent children. Should she answer yes or no? They are living in the UK with me, and that is what is causing our confusion.

Thanks.
She puts yes that she has dependent children and then explains their situation in other parts of the application i.e they are British with British passports - include the passport numbers.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 6:34 am
Just Joined

Now I'm really confused!!!
Old Feb 9th 2015, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, from Appendix 2 & instructions on page 14

1.27 Does your sponsor have any children?
Put a cross in the relevant box. If ‘yes’ please ensure you enter
details for all your sponsor’s children. The details must include their
full name, date and place of birth, sex and nationality. If there is
insufficient space please complete the list in Part 5 Continuation
and Additional Information section.

Q) 1.27 Does your sponsor have any children?
......Put a cross (x) in the relevant box
>>>>>>>>

A) YES

Q) If ‘Yes’ please provide full details of your sponsor’s children

A) children's names & details, DOB, place of Birth, current nationality (citizenship, British) The children are from our marriage, we are the parents of the children

Last edited by not2old; Feb 9th 2015 at 9:35 am.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Right. I think I've got the appendix part, but the online app is still what is confusing. It asks her if she has dependent children. They are living with and supported by my salary in the UK while she is applying. So are they our dependents or just mine? Is dependent just referring to non-UK children who need to be included in the Visa app?
Old Feb 9th 2015, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

stop hesitating, you're overdoing the worry

My suggestion is the answer in my last post. Once the visa officer sees the answer... sorted

Now if you answer with a NO, then likely someone will ask 'why was a NO put in 1.27, when there are children'?

Thats my 2 cents worth, now its up to you.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kdiglas78 View Post
Right. I think I've got the appendix part, but the online app is still what is confusing. It asks her if she has dependent children.
since you are the 'sponsor'

can you give us that particular question number?
Old Feb 9th 2015, 10:18 am
Just Joined

It's in the family details section on the VISA4UK application. On the actual printable VAF4A form it only asks "do you have any children." On the online app (which according to gov.uk she must use because she is in America) it asks "do you have any dependent children?
Old Feb 9th 2015, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This will be my last response to this thread, because after this - I give up, I wont debate or discuss it further. Others can critique it till the cows come home

What should be a simple YES or NO

For your post #9

YES is the answer & here is why

For the VAF4 questions: Partners/spouses, married or not that have a family unit with children (Parents) generally have equal shared responsibility for their dependent children, it doesn't come down to or just financial - child dependancy is more than about money, its everything including the welfare, upbringing & life of the child(ren) by one or both parents.

Are your children dependEnt (grammar) on you (both of you) ...YES

Is one spouse dependEnt on the other, by means other than financial ...YES

Does the spouse in the US have a joint bank account that can be used shared equally with the other spouse ...YES

Is the UK spouse financially supporting the US spouse ...YES

Is the US spouse financially dependent on the UK spouse ...YES

Is the spouse in the UK solely doing it alone without support (NOT JUST FINANCIAL) from the one in the US ... NO
Old Feb 9th 2015, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. Sorry for the hassle. Wasn't trying to debate, just asking honest questions. I appreciate your help, and it seems clear to me now. You're right about me over-worrying. It's hard when your family is at stake, but in reality I should just relax because the weight of evidence is in our favour. Thanks again.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

When you're over & done & the visa has been issued to your wife - please come back & share your story.

Don't use BE as an event to JUST get out of it, then disappear. If you find some spare time, drop by to give something back.