Spouse visa - job and salary requirement questions

Old Nov 6th 2017, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

pollybegoode is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse visa - job and salary requirement questions

Hi,

This forum has been a huge help - thank you to everyone who takes the time to respond, probably answering the same questions over and over!

It looks like my US husband and I will need to go down the securing employment in the UK rote to get the spouse visa.

1) If I go back to the UK and secure a job, how long will it take for my husband to join me? Will I have to have been working for a certain amount of time before applying for the visa?

2)If I were secure a job from the US that reaches the salary requirements, would a letter of employment and salary confirmation suffice to be able to apply for the spouse visa?

3)I'm thinking I will have to take a job within my old field, education. How long will I need to stay in the job to be able to keep his visa? Could I stay for a year and then make sure I find another position or two positions that cover the salary requirements?

4)If once my husband gets his spouse visa and moves to the UK, at this point would his salary count in terms of maintaining the salary requirement?

So many questions!
Thanks you for your time.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 3:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa - job and salary requirement questions

1) you need to have had the job for six months.

2) are you currently employed in the US earning at least £18,600 per annum (equiv)? If so you can apply for a visa when you have an offer of work starting within three months and paying at least £18,600 - in other words you will be able to travel to the UK together. If you are not currently (six months history) working and earning at the required level, then having an offer of work which you haven't yet started, won't help you unfortunately.

3) "Stay in the job to keep the visa"? .... You aren't even obligated to start the job! If you get a better offer after applying for a visa for your husband there is nothing to stop you switching and taking that other offer instead. Or you can resign after a week of working, or a month, and take another job, or become self employed. The only subsequent check is 30 months later when you have to have been earning (as a couple) at least the minimum amount - there is no check on who you were working for, which jobs paid you, how many jobs you had, whether you are employed or self employed etc., etc.

4) the check is after 30 months, but his salary "counts" as soon as he starts work.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 6th 2017 at 4:01 am.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

Hi Pulaski,

This is great news re: #3
In regard to #2, I'm self employed and earning above the required amount, but have only been self employed for 6 months. Does this count as employment?!

Thanks so much!
Old Nov 6th 2017, 4:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pollybegoode
Hi Pulaski,

This is great news re: #3
In regard to #2, I'm self employed and earning above the required amount, but have only been self employed for 6 months. Does this count as employment?!

Thanks so much!
You're welcome, honestly I am not sure about your current self employment - hopefully someone will be along soon who knows more about that.

BTW I also tweaked my answer to #3 slightly - just to clarify the meaning, it doesn't change the impact.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Awesome, thanks so much.

Can anyone help with clarifying whether my self employed income in the US counts and enables me secure a job in the UK starting within 3 months and apply for the spouse visa?
Old Nov 6th 2017, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome, thanks so much.

Can anyone help with clarifying whether my self employed income in the US counts and enables me secure a job in the UK starting within 3 months and apply for the spouse visa?
In order to apply under self employment you must show a full year's accounts.
If you have only been self employed for 6 months then this will not count.

Please read the following document which explains the different categories that one can qualify under to meet the financial requirements:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ment_Final.pdf
Old Nov 7th 2017, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Thank you SanDiegogirl. I’ve read the document and from what I gather (although sometimes when I look for clarification on the gov.uk website I come away more confused!) I can offer proof that I will continue my US based self employment in the UK. I’m wondering what proof is required? I would effectively be taking the model of my business from the US and starting it in the UK from scratch. I’m presuming this won’t count as proof of my job and salary in the UK?
Thank you!
Old Nov 7th 2017, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You do not fulfill the first part of the financial requirements as you cannot produce a full year's financial accounts for your business.

IF you continue down this self employment route, you will need to produce a business plan for how your company will continue in the UK, together with relevant registration document to show it has been set up in the UK.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You do not fulfill the first part of the financial requirements as you cannot produce a full year's financial accounts for your business.

IF you continue down this self employment route, you will need to produce a business plan for how your company will continue in the UK, together with relevant registration document to show it has been set up in the UK.
I know I’ll need to wait until I can produce a years worth of accounts, but I’m wondering if there is a document which talks more about the business plan that I’ll need to produce. I’m a dog walker/pet sitter over here. It’s a successful business over here and that is what I would plan on doing over in England, but it’s hard to know how successful it’ll be in rural England. 😞
Do you know where I can do more research regarding the business plan and self employment requirements?

Thank you!
Old Nov 10th 2017, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know I’ll need to wait until I can produce a years worth of accounts, but I’m wondering if there is a document which talks more about the business plan that I’ll need to produce. I’m a dog walker/pet sitter over here. It’s a successful business over here and that is what I would plan on doing over in England, but it’s hard to know how successful it’ll be in rural England. 😞
Do you know where I can do more research regarding the business plan and self employment requirements?

Thank you!
The following document gives comprehensive information as to what is required for all financial requirement categories. Just look through the document for self employment requirements.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...ified-evidence

With regard a business plan, Google "how to create a business plan" and/or talk to your accountant.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

The following document gives comprehensive information as to what is required for all financial requirement categories. Just look through the document for self employment requirements.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...ified-evidence

With regard a business plan, Google "how to create a business plan" and/or talk to your accountant.
Thank you for this!
Old Nov 10th 2017, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

My head is spinning with everything that needs to be done to move home. Just clarify as I seem to have confused myself!

I'm the British citizen currently living in the US with my US citizen husband and our daughter.

-I've applied for my daughters British passport.
-I'm currently self employed in the US and earn enough to cover the visa financial requirements and will be able to provide 1 year of accounts when we apply next year

Does this mean that I will be able to

-Apply for a job in the UK earning the 18,600 or will I have to take into account supporting my daughter even though she is a British Citizen due to her passport?
-Once I have proof of the employment in the UK we can apply for the spouse visa
-1 year of account is the minimum that I would need to prove my self employment at the time of application, even though I would have a job lined up the UK?

Thanks in advance as always!
Old Nov 10th 2017, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My head is spinning with everything that needs to be done to move home. Just clarify as I seem to have confused myself!

I'm the British citizen currently living in the US with my US citizen husband and our daughter.

-I've applied for my daughters British passport.
-I'm currently self employed in the US and earn enough to cover the visa financial requirements and will be able to provide 1 year of accounts when we apply next year

Does this mean that I will be able to

-Apply for a job in the UK earning the 18,600 or will I have to take into account supporting my daughter even though she is a British Citizen due to her passport?
-Once I have proof of the employment in the UK we can apply for the spouse visa
-1 year of account is the minimum that I would need to prove my self employment at the time of application, even though I would have a job lined up the UK?

Thanks in advance as always!
1. You will need to be earning 18,600 GBP
2. Once you have a job you can apply for visa
3. You need one year of self employment financial documents, even if you have a job to go to in the UK.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

1. You will need to be earning 18,600 GBP
2. Once you have a job you can apply for visa
3. You need one year of self employment financial documents, even if you have a job to go to in the UK.
Thank you for the clarification, SanDiegogirl.