Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Spouse Visa extension (FLR(M)) - How to pay health fee (and other questions)

Spouse Visa extension (FLR(M)) - How to pay health fee (and other questions)

Old Feb 9th 2021, 7:29 am
Just Joined

THEALB10N is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse Visa extension (FLR(M)) - How to pay health fee (and other questions)

Hi all,

I found this forum invaluable when helping my parents apply for my mother's spouse visa back in 2018. Her visa is expiring at the beginning of March 2021 so we've been pulling together everything for her visa extension application (FLR(M) I believe).

We have now filled in the application online and submitted it. When it came to making payment it asked us to pay the £1,052.20 standard fee. There was no option for a £500 priority service (which we would have been happy to pay to get a decision in 5 days). There was also no mention of any NHS health surcharge which we were expecting.

We got a link to make a booking on the Sopra Steria site for an appointment for submitting documents and providing biometrics again (although my mother already has a biometric card - presumably they collect it all again for the visa extension). It was really difficult to find any available appointment slots. We only found one site (Norwich) that had a slot in just under 4 weeks' time (in fact the day her visa expires) so paid the £135 for that. The Norwich site is an "enhanced" service centre (as opposed to a "core" centre). Am I right in thinking that we can scan all documentation there on the day, or do we still need to scan them via the website beforehand.

To summarise, I'd greatly appreciate any information anyone has on the following:

1) How do we pay the NHS health surcharge (and have we missed any other fees that we must / should pay before the biometric appointment)?

2) How do we pay the priority service fee of £500 (or have we somehow missed the boat on this option)?

3) Have we messed up with the appointments, or is it just extremely difficult to find a slot at present times? Ideally, we'd have wanted to book an appointment much closer to present to get it all over with.

4) Given we have booked an appointment at an "enhanced" centre (Norwich), are we OK to scan all our documentation on the day?

Thank you so much in advance. This forum and other online resources have been invaluable in the visa process so far!

All the best,
THEALB10N
Old Feb 9th 2021, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse Visa extension (FLR(M)) - How to pay health fee (and other questions)

I recently read (sorry can't link) of someone else who had this same issue and it was because they had input a Home Office reference number in the application to the question "do you have any previous home office reference number" The reference number referred to their previous NHS surcharge payment. Could this be your issue?

Your application won't be processed without a reference number showing you have paid the NHS surcharge for THIS application.

You could go to gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application/pay and try paying on that website. As you have not yet uploaded documents, and it sounds as though you are going to do this at your appointment, take the reference number with you in explanatory letter.

There is no priority service at moment because of all delays with Covid

Hope this helps......

Just to add, you might get an e-mail for the HO asking you to pay the NHS surcharge while they are processing your application.......

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Feb 9th 2021 at 6:01 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Spouse Visa extension (FLR(M)) - How to pay health fee (and other questions)

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl View Post
I recently read (sorry can't link) of someone else who had this same issue and it was because they had input a Home Office reference number in the application to the question "do you have any previous home office reference number" The reference number referred to their previous NHS surcharge payment. Could this be your issue?

Your application won't be processed without a reference number showing you have paid the NHS surcharge for THIS application.

You could go to gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application/pay and try paying on that website. As you have not yet uploaded documents, and it sounds as though you are going to do this at your appointment, take the reference number with you in explanatory letter.

Hope this helps......

Just to add, you might get an e-mail for the HO asking you to pay the NHS surcharge while they are processing your application.......
Thanks SanDiego, I'll try out that website and make it clear in the supporting documents that we have paid it separately and this is the reference number. Makes sense with the covid delays too, I suppose that is why its so difficult to find an appointment slot too.
Old Feb 15th 2021, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Hopefully someone is able to help with my other question, namely:
4) Given we have booked an appointment at an "enhanced" centre (Norwich), are we OK to scan all our documentation on the day?
Many thanks,
THEALB10N
Old Feb 15th 2021, 11:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THEALB10N View Post
Hopefully someone is able to help with my other question, namely:

Many thanks,
THEALB10N
Yep, that’s fine. Just make sure to bring everything that needs scanning include your passports and existing BRP.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 10:57 am
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl View Post

Hope this helps......

Hi SanDiegogirl

I have read in other posts very recently in this forum that the priority and super priority are now available, has anyone actually used this recently?

For the surcharge link you provided, if i have a fresh application, should i be paying the surcharge first then doing my FLR application after that knowing i have the reference number to input to the application because I've paid? I'm wanting to start on my wife's FLR soon. How long can i be working on the application before i submit, does it time out if i have spent too much time on it?

Thanks
Old Feb 16th 2021, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

From my understanding of experience of others completing the application form, once you have completed the form it, at some stage in the process, automatically takes you to the 'pay for your NHS surcharge' page.
I don't believe most people pay for it prior to completing the form.
As I have not actually completed an application form, hopefully someone who has practical experience of it will answer this question.
Old Feb 19th 2021, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Yep, that’s fine. Just make sure to bring everything that needs scanning include your passports and existing BRP.
Thanks BritInParis. I was a bit concerned because the appointment booking said 1x standard appointment even though it was an "Enhanced" centre (Norwich).
Old Feb 19th 2021, 10:57 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THEALB10N View Post
Thanks BritInParis. I was a bit concerned because the appointment booking said 1x standard appointment even though it was an "Enhanced" centre (Norwich).
You may have to pay extra on the day depending on exactly what you have booked but they should offer a scanning service on request.