British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Spouse Visa Documents Check list (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/spouse-visa-documents-check-list-870997/)

ruri Feb 11th 2016 12:35 pm

Re: Spouse Visa Documents Check list

Originally Posted by HighCaper (Post 11864243)
Hi Ruri, you listed biometric as being something you were attaching to your application, what is this ?

Many thanks

It's a finger print that will be taken at the VFS centre. They will take it when I go for the appointment as it is a requirement for UK visa application.

You don't have to worry about that while you are preparing for your application as it will only be done during the appointment :)

orange108 Feb 25th 2016 8:28 pm

hello! the website states that the sponsor undertaking form is intended for parents, children and all other dependents.

i initially didn't intend to include it however a friend who got her visa in sept said she was asked when she was submitting the documents at vfs. she submitted hers in malaysia. her husband is employed in the UK.

because of this, i prepared the form. i wasn't asked by vfs but handed the form and supporting documents (house deed, council payment and utility bill) as i already prepared them. these documents also served as evidence for some questions in the application form and appendix 2. i submitted mine in australia. i submitted through the savings route. i received my visa in 3 days (from the date of appointment with vfs).

what i can suggest is create a master checklist infront (like a cover page) then separate cover sheets (for ex: "Supporting Documents for Application Form, Question 1.17"). i had 2 separate big files when i went to vfs - one with 'all original documents' and the other one 'all photocopies, both in the same order.

i would like to thank you for your keeping information flowing. i learned a lot. our next move is to go to our local MP and inform them the difficulties in this exercise (not just ours but those with expat sponsors in general), and also to lobby a few changes.
is there a an organisation that deals similar to our situation (expat sponsors)? i am more than willing to join.

orange108 Feb 25th 2016 8:31 pm

hello! evidence of health surcharge payment is also requires. ta!

ruri Feb 26th 2016 3:32 am

Originally Posted by orange108 (Post 11879591)
hello! the website states that the sponsor undertaking form is intended for parents, children and all other dependents.

i initially didn't intend to include it however a friend who got her visa in sept said she was asked when she was submitting the documents at vfs. she submitted hers in malaysia. her husband is employed in the UK.

because of this, i prepared the form. i wasn't asked by vfs but handed the form and supporting documents (house deed, council payment and utility bill) as i already prepared them. these documents also served as evidence for some questions in the application form and appendix 2. i submitted mine in australia. i submitted through the savings route. i received my visa in 3 days (from the date of appointment with vfs).

what i can suggest is create a master checklist infront (like a cover page) then separate cover sheets (for ex: "Supporting Documents for Application Form, Question 1.17"). i had 2 separate big files when i went to vfs - one with 'all original documents' and the other one 'all photocopies, both in the same order.

i would like to thank you for your keeping information flowing. i learned a lot. our next move is to go to our local MP and inform them the difficulties in this exercise (not just ours but those with expat sponsors in general), and also to lobby a few changes.
is there a an organisation that deals similar to our situation (expat sponsors)? i am more than willing to join.

Wow! So you have done yours? Big congratulations for getting the visa!! When are you leaving to the UK?

We are now ready to send our application next week and I'm honestly very nervous. I hope everything will be OK. My husband is coming to Malaysia in couple of days as he will have his annual leave at the same time too so I'm so looking forward. We have been apart for 9 months now it's so terrible.

My husband has already filled up the sponsorship undertaking form and I will be taking it with me to the appointment, just to be safe.

Thank you so much for sharing :)

orange108 Feb 26th 2016 10:19 am

i stayed here in the UK for the last 6 months under the visitor visa, left to lodge this entry permit visa (expensive exercise, i must say) then came back yesterday.

good luck with your application! hope the process goes smoothly for you. xx

alyssa_chromy Aug 4th 2016 7:24 pm

Hi all, I need help! My husband's tax statements haven't come in and my visa needs to be turned into the UK by next Wednesday. Is there any alternative to tax statements? He's called them twice over the last month and they keep telling him they're on their way. But I can't really wait much longer. I already know I'll have to ship this visa over night, but I need his part of the visa before I do so.

Can I ship the statements later?? I don't mind my visa being on hold for a short time while they wait for them. Suggestions???

ruri Aug 6th 2016 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by alyssa_chromy (Post 12020051)
Hi all, I need help! My husband's tax statements haven't come in and my visa needs to be turned into the UK by next Wednesday. Is there any alternative to tax statements? He's called them twice over the last month and they keep telling him they're on their way. But I can't really wait much longer. I already know I'll have to ship this visa over night, but I need his part of the visa before I do so.

Can I ship the statements later?? I don't mind my visa being on hold for a short time while they wait for them. Suggestions???

Hi how are you doing?

If you mean the p60 slip then it depends on what category you are applying under. My husband and I applied under category A (employed) and we couldn't supply his recent p60 due to his starting date with the company and also the date of our application. He just wrote an explanation of why he hasnt had it in his covering letter and we got the visa OK.

Good luck :)

omario2016 Aug 13th 2016 2:49 am

Hi Ruri and everyone else,
It has been really helpful reading all your messages.
I have a particular question in regards to accommodation but also many more questions as I think my case is a bit special. I would be very happy to get some help from your guys on my first question but super happy if I get feedback for the rest too.

Accommodation:
Can accommodation be AirBnB? for instance for a month and thereafter something more permanent? I am currently based abroad with my work and have been away from the UK for almost 6 years but going back to the UK during those 6 years every now and then. I haven't been renting a place for myself but have been using a friends address for my posts and also to stay during the times I was in the UK during that 6 years. (never more than two months at a time). This is why I don't have my place and no tenancy agreement, bills etc.

My case:
I am using 'savings' option to meet the financial requirements. The appendix 2 form seems very complicated, do I need to put all my assignments with my organisation for the last 6 years? Do I qualify as someone who is 'settled' in the UK? Do I need to rent an accommodation or AirBnB will be enough to begin with? Can I even rent an accommodation in the UK while I am abroad?

My wife and I both live together at the moment but my work will be done here in couple of months and therefore we would like to move to the UK.

Any tips, feedback will be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks,

orange108 Aug 13th 2016 11:20 pm

hello omario,

accommodation in the UK - temporary accommodation is fine. you have to include a statement re your future accommodation plans. as you mentioned, you only intend to stay at AirBnB for a month and then find a rental flat/house to stay with your spouse. this is no different for some cases i've read in various forums where they initially stayed with family members/friends and/or hotel for a few weeks then moved to a rental accommodation with their spouse. you have to ask the owner/agent of the AirBnB for a confirmation of your length of stay (in lieu of 'title of deed' had you owned a place in the UK or rental contract), and that the place has enough rooms to accommodate you and your spouse, and of course, receipt for full payment.

renting whilst overseas may be tricky but you can certainly try calling agents local to your intended place, or you can ask a friend/family member to find one for you.

re being 'settled' - if you were born in the UK, even though you've been away, you will still be considered as 'settled'. my husband/sponsor had been living overseas for 12+ yrs when he sponsored me.

your employment history - i included my husband's employment history (in bullet points) although we also went thru the 'savings' pathway. although not specifically requested, i included this to show my husband's "employability" - to show home office that he is skilled and has various experiences, so the possibility of depending on government benefits is nil.

hope that helps. good luck to you and your wife!

orange108 Aug 13th 2016 11:36 pm

re being 'settled' - if you were born in the UK, even though you've been away, you will still be considered as 'settled'. my husband/sponsor had been living overseas for 12+ yrs when he sponsored me.

"if you were born in the UK" - what i mean is, if you acquired UK citz by birth. anyhow, if you are a naturalised UK citz, that is also considered as 'settled'.

'settled' in the UK within the meaning of the Immigration Act 1971 -- british citz or ILR.
they use this term 'settled' to distinguish british citz/ILR/PR from EU nationals basically. for example, EU nationals cannot be considered 'settled' until they achieve their permanent residency per EU requirements.

omario2016 Aug 15th 2016 2:04 am

Hello orange108,
Thank you very much for your reply. That really helps.

Re accommodation, I have been speaking to a friend too and he said he has a room in his house which he can rent to me and my wife which also increases our options but I think if go that way, I would have to provide proof of address i.e. letter from local authorities, tenancy agreement etc. I think AirBnB would be a better option as it is less hassle.

One more question: If we are thinking to apply for my wife's visa in a weeks time, when should the accommodation be rented from? I know that the visa process takes up to 3 months so that means around mid November. Can the accommodation date start from then or does it have to be earlier? if yes, how early?

any feedback would be great.
Many thanks,

DernierVirage Aug 15th 2016 12:23 pm

@omario2016: no disrespect intended, but applying in a week's time sounds impossible, given what you mention so far about your preparations. The application, at least in my experience, demands a huge amount of preparation and time. My advice is to fix the application timing after you have planned the content of your application. For what it's worth, our application took about 4 months to prepare, with about 10 days more or less full time work before we submitted the papers. Our situation was not that complex, but things take time and you must be sure to give it your best shot.

orange108 Aug 15th 2016 9:28 pm

hello omario2016,

if you have a friend that is offering to rent a room temporarily and it is not a very formal sort of rental arrangement, he can provide a letter stating so, and including the rental amount that you have agreed, intended length of stay, etc. if you have kept a UK bank account, you can move your address to your friend's address as early as you want, and all other docs that are deemed useful for the home office. that way, you already have proof of address. please note that home office accepts 'online bank statements' only if they are duly stamped by the bank.

i agree with DernierVirage, you need to allocate ample time to prepare. the financial requirement seems simple and straightforward - but make sure that you follow all the specified details for the required documents. my husband and i initially underestimated the time needed to prepare the traceability of our savings. please make sure that all your savings documents tie up and evidence based; for example, if the savings are from salary earnings, you can include all employment contracts stating the salary, copies of payslips, etc.

good luck!

omario2016 Aug 16th 2016 2:50 am

Originally Posted by DernierVirage (Post 12027053)
@omario2016: no disrespect intended, but applying in a week's time sounds impossible, given what you mention so far about your preparations. The application, at least in my experience, demands a huge amount of preparation and time. My advice is to fix the application timing after you have planned the content of your application. For what it's worth, our application took about 4 months to prepare, with about 10 days more or less full time work before we submitted the papers. Our situation was not that complex, but things take time and you must be sure to give it your best shot.

thank you very much for pointing that out and please don't feel as if I take it the wrong way. in fact, this is great help that I am receiving from you and others here.

since you have been in Dhaka :) , you would know already the difficulties such as obtaining original documents such as bank statement. can i ask you how can I get original bank statements here in dhaka since I understand that online prints of the statement will not be accepted? what if i attach my contract and payslips with the printed bank statement? at least that way the will see that I have been getting paid?

or if i have to provide original bank statements, do i need to call my bank and order statements ? thank you in advance for your help!

omario2016 Aug 16th 2016 2:54 am

Originally Posted by orange108 (Post 12027333)
hello omario2016,

if you have a friend that is offering to rent a room temporarily and it is not a very formal sort of rental arrangement, he can provide a letter stating so, and including the rental amount that you have agreed, intended length of stay, etc. if you have kept a UK bank account, you can move your address to your friend's address as early as you want, and all other docs that are deemed useful for the home office. that way, you already have proof of address. please note that home office accepts 'online bank statements' only if they are duly stamped by the bank.

i agree with DernierVirage, you need to allocate ample time to prepare. the financial requirement seems simple and straightforward - but make sure that you follow all the specified details for the required documents. my husband and i initially underestimated the time needed to prepare the traceability of our savings. please make sure that all your savings documents tie up and evidence based; for example, if the savings are from salary earnings, you can include all employment contracts stating the salary, copies of payslips, etc.

good luck!

hello orange:
thank you for your kind and helpful reply: here is my comments and more questions which i also asked others here:

I am currently living in Dhaka, Bangladesh (where we will launch my wife's visa application from). It is difficult such to obtain original documents such as bank statement. can i ask you how can I get original bank statements here in dhaka since I understand that online prints of the statement will not be accepted? what if i attach my contract and payslips with the printed bank statement? at least that way the will see that I have been getting paid?

or if i have to provide original bank statements, do i need to call my bank and order statements ? thank you in advance for your help!

p.s. and i totally get that we will need plenty of time to prepare and be ready to launch the application. I guess my estimate of us having to live here until November may stretch until December or so.

DernierVirage Aug 16th 2016 6:49 am

Originally Posted by omario2016 (Post 12027479)
thank you very much for pointing that out and please don't feel as if I take it the wrong way. in fact, this is great help that I am receiving from you and others here.

since you have been in Dhaka :) , you would know already the difficulties such as obtaining original documents such as bank statement. can i ask you how can I get original bank statements here in dhaka since I understand that online prints of the statement will not be accepted? what if i attach my contract and payslips with the printed bank statement? at least that way the will see that I have been getting paid?

I didn't live in Dhaka, only went there frequently on business, but I can imagine the problems you are facing. I was living in Beijing at the time, but the bank statements that we used from from HSBC in Hong Kong, who stamped versions that they printed out themselves.

spouse of scouse Aug 16th 2016 8:20 am

Originally Posted by omario2016 (Post 12027479)

I applied from Australia, I printed my online bank statements out and had the bank authorize them, they were accepted.

If you are able to access your bank there, you'll need to print out the last 6 months of statements, take them to the bank, and get each page stamped with the bank's stamp. I got each page signed as well.

orange108 Aug 16th 2016 4:17 pm

hi omario2016,

sorry, i don't know where to get original bank statements in dhaka. i've never been to dhaka. i did my application from australia.

in relation to bank statements, 'spouse of scouse' answered you correctly - print out the last 6 months of bank statements and have each page stamped by the bank/s which issued the statements. that is sufficient. they can be stamped by any branch, not necessarily the same branch where the account was opened. my "stamped" bank statements were from 3 different countries and they were all accepted.

omario2016 Aug 17th 2016 3:22 pm

thank you all for you kind replies. unfortunately none my banks (or other international banks for that matter) have branches here in Dhaka, Bangladesh so I feel kind of stuck. I did provide bank statements printed online for my wife's VISTOR visa application in india and they were accepted. I am thinking of doing the same here and attach a cover letter from my work (international organisation) mentioning my salary and employment history.

you think that is a bad idea as it might be rejected?

I just can't think of any other solution.

DernierVirage Aug 17th 2016 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by omario2016 (Post 12028685)
thank you all for you kind replies. unfortunately none my banks (or other international banks for that matter) have branches here in Dhaka, Bangladesh so I feel kind of stuck. I did provide bank statements printed online for my wife's VISTOR visa application in india and they were accepted. I am thinking of doing the same here and attach a cover letter from my work (international organisation) mentioning my salary and employment history.

you think that is a bad idea as it might be rejected?

I just can't think of any other solution.

I don't have any direct experience of visitor visas, but a spouse visa is on the face of it a much more significant application, so if I were in your shoes I wouldn't take any risks.

As part of the preparations for my wife's application, I made two round trips from Beijing to Hong Kong (where the bank was) and one from Beijing to Scotland....ONLY to deal with paperwork for the supporting documents! To be honest, I think you have to be prepared to jump through these hoops to make an application as water tight as possible.

Best of luck.

omario2016 Aug 17th 2016 3:45 pm

thank you for your reply!

I think i will consider doing what you did as a last resort.

do you think bank will stamp bank statements if I get a friend to go the bank in London? i know it sounds like a stupid question.....

DernierVirage Aug 17th 2016 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by omario2016 (Post 12028708)
thank you for your reply!

I think i will consider doing what you did as a last resort.

do you think bank will stamp bank statements if I get a friend to go the bank in London? i know it sounds like a stupid question.....

Can't help you with this, but why not call your bank and ask them, or get someone to drop in to check.

omario2016 Aug 23rd 2016 1:08 pm

Ok thank you!

I have savings with two banks. One is able to send me original statements but the other said they can send me what i will be able to print already anyways so no point waiting for them for weeks if i can already get them online. In the absence of any branches of the latter, hence not being able to get statement stamped, I am stuck. Though i have noticed the statements which i can print online (if printed in colour) is the same as ones i used to receive as 'original' sent by my bank so I don't understand how can someone tell if it was me who printed them or the bank?

Am thinking that I can just go ahead and print those (in colour) and attach a letter from my work explaining the history of my employment and the salary plus of course the payslips. I don't want to sound presumptuous but I work for a leading international organisation and I hope that will have some bearings on the credibility of an official headed paper..... I know it is a risk but the only other option would be to fly out to the UK from Dhaka. a round trip would cost us 2200 pounds which is more than the application would cost if I fail? i know that is a wrong way of looking at it....

DernierVirage Aug 23rd 2016 3:31 pm

I don't believe that looking at just the cost of a round trip is the right basis for a decision. Having been through the process, I can tell you that once is more than enough. Remember that if you had to reapply, you would have to get all your documents updated, prepare everything again etc. Not only would it take up a huge amount of extra time, but all your plans would be blown apart.

I can only repeat what I said before - in your shoes I wouldn't take the risk. It is stated clearly in the official documentation what you must provide, so if you choose not to do so and to assume that everything will be OK, then you have to accept the risk. I wouldn't take the risk, since I take the view that if we are asked to provide stuff, then it is up to us to get it, irrespective of the inconvenience.

I am not trying to be negative, but I personally believe that you should do what you need to do to get everything right first time, get the visa and then move forward !

spouse of scouse Aug 23rd 2016 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by omario2016 (Post 12033097)
Ok thank you!

I have savings with two banks. One is able to send me original statements but the other said they can send me what i will be able to print already anyways so no point waiting for them for weeks if i can already get them online. In the absence of any branches of the latter, hence not being able to get statement stamped, I am stuck. Though i have noticed the statements which i can print online (if printed in colour) is the same as ones i used to receive as 'original' sent by my bank so I don't understand how can someone tell if it was me who printed them or the bank?

Am thinking that I can just go ahead and print those (in colour) and attach a letter from my work explaining the history of my employment and the salary plus of course the payslips. I don't want to sound presumptuous but I work for a leading international organisation and I hope that will have some bearings on the credibility of an official headed paper..... I know it is a risk but the only other option would be to fly out to the UK from Dhaka. a round trip would cost us 2200 pounds which is more than the application would cost if I fail? i know that is a wrong way of looking at it....

There has to be another way instead of spending all that money on flights. Can the bank that won't send original statements just send a letter, as allowed within the Home Office's immigration rules? https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...ified-evidence

omario2016 Aug 25th 2016 11:42 am

Thank you DV! Thank you spousofscouse for that very useful link.
I have an update: I spoke to my bank and this time it was someone who actually knew her job. She is able to send me statements for the last six months (two of which will be charged 30p a sheet which is fine). They call it duplicate statements but they are actually in their headed papers which is basically the original ones. I just have to get my friend to forward them to me now here in Dhaka which could take a while.

nce1990 Apr 28th 2017 2:57 pm

please how is the online application form signed?

nce1990 Apr 28th 2017 3:10 pm

i dont know what to say when it come to this question, what permission i have to stay in this country

chandni May 2nd 2017 8:18 pm

Hello Dear,
This checklist of yours is very useful as I am currently applying as well for the Spouse Visa.
Any tips you can give me?
How long before you got a confirmation?

Now that we've finally received our daughter's British passport, we are ready to move on and apply for the spouse visa for myself. We have a full month of Feb to prepare all the documents and we will be making the application (priority service) at the beginning of March. But first of all, I'd like to thank all the members of BE who helped us a lot with great information regarding the child first British passport application from overseas. I still can't believe how fast the process went considering that our countersignatory was a Malaysian too.

I would be very grateful if anyone can advice us with our document check list for the spouse visa application as below:

Applicant's Documents
-completed application form
-payment receipt
-cover letter
-current passport
-previous passports
-passport photo x2
-TB Test
-English Test
-Biometric

Sponsor's Documents
-completed sponsor form
-cover letter
-passport (colour copy of bio data page?)

Financial Evidence
-Letter from employer
-contract letter
-most recent payslips x6
-most recent bank statements x6
-P60

Evidence of accommodation
-Tenancy agreement
-Council tax statements x 1?
-Property inspection report
-Utility bills x 1?
-Letter from landlord

Relationship Evidence
-Marriage certificate & certified translation
-Copy of passport stamps
-Skype call logs x 5 A4 sheets
-Annotated photos x 15
-child's birth certificate & certified translation
-Letters/cards (Christmas/Birthday/emails)
-previous flight tickets?

I really feel like I'm missing a lot here. No words can explain how worried and nervous I am knowing that all the fees and expenses are non refundable and that's a lot for us to lose. My husband will be coming over to Malaysia to assist me with the application and to avoid the complication with the 28 days rule.

So, many many many thanks for all the help we will receive from members here in advance.

Ruri[/QUOTE]

chandni May 2nd 2017 8:30 pm

Hello noogin87
I am just putting together my application and documents. I saw yours had a something Called: Letter explain why don't have p60.
whats that?
I would really appreciate the help.

Originally Posted by noogin87 (Post 11856072)
Just include it. They won't look down on the application for Including something that's not needed, they'll just disregard it. I only included my daughters passport to prove our relationship, and so the timeline of events makes sense on our cover letter outlining when we met etc.