Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Spouse visa by cash savings: documents to prove where the money came from?

Spouse visa by cash savings: documents to prove where the money came from?

Old May 17th 2018, 4:21 am
Just Joined

TrucnScott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse visa by cash savings: documents to prove where the money came from?

Hi all. We're gonna apply for spouse visa next month using only cash savings from outside the uk. We have enough money in 1 saving account under my name and it will be 6 months the money has been kept in the account by the time we apply. We'll write supporting letters to declare that the money came from our salaries over 6 years.
My questions are:
1/ Do we need to submit our working contracts, bank statements, payslips... for the whole 6 years, or just need the most recent 6 months' ones?
My husband has been working continuously for the whole 6 yrs but his current job started 3yrs ago. I'd worked before but stopped working in 2015 and have been working part-time at home since that time.
We can submit old contracts, letters from my old employer...if necessary but I've read somewhere that submitting too many unecessary documents would lead to a refusal!
2/ We own the apartment we now live in, so do we need to show how much we paid to buy it, in case the officer might calculate our savings from salaries after buying house or something?

Please help us get it clear! Thanks a lot!
Old May 17th 2018, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Biglittleben is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spouse visa by cash savings: documents to prove where the money came from?

Originally Posted by TrucnScott
Hi all. We're gonna apply for spouse visa next month using only cash savings from outside the uk. We have enough money in 1 saving account under my name and it will be 6 months the money has been kept in the account by the time we apply. We'll write supporting letters to declare that the money came from our salaries over 6 years.
My questions are:
1/ Do we need to submit our working contracts, bank statements, payslips... for the whole 6 years, or just need the most recent 6 months' ones?
My husband has been working continuously for the whole 6 yrs but his current job started 3yrs ago. I'd worked before but stopped working in 2015 and have been working part-time at home since that time.
We can submit old contracts, letters from my old employer...if necessary but I've read somewhere that submitting too many unecessary documents would lead to a refusal!
2/ We own the apartment we now live in, so do we need to show how much we paid to buy it, in case the officer might calculate our savings from salaries after buying house or something?

Please help us get it clear! Thanks a lot!
For cash savings you're only technically required to declare the sources in the form of a signed letter and show your savings in the form of bank statements. I handed in my current contract just to back up my declaration that I am in full time employment abroad but it isn't necessary to do so. showing things from the last 6 years as you asked isn't required.
Old May 17th 2018, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Spouse visa by cash savings: documents to prove where the money came from?

Originally Posted by Biglittleben
For cash savings you're only technically required to declare the sources in the form of a signed letter and show your savings in the form of bank statements. I handed in my current contract just to back up my declaration that I am in full time employment abroad but it isn't necessary to do so. showing things from the last 6 years as you asked isn't required.
Thanks for your answer Biglittleben!
And I guess your case is a successful one?? Sorry I don't mean to be nosy, just want to be sure that people are granted the visa without submitting all those papers.
​​​
Old May 17th 2018, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

We too only submitted a signed declaration of the source of our savings which were accrued over several years previously mainly from my husband’s employment. We gave details of his position, name of employer and length of employment. We were successful. However, on another forum, they advise applicants to provide a paper trail of savings. Of course, if any of the savings are a gift, then a letter from the donor is required stating that it is a gift and not a loan.
Old May 18th 2018, 1:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Biglittleben
Sorry. I have one more question. Did you hand in 6 month statements for the account you receive salary along with your contract? Thanks.
Old May 18th 2018, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by michali
We too only submitted a signed declaration of the source of our savings which were accrued over several years previously mainly from my husband’s employment. We gave details of his position, name of employer and length of employment. We were successful. However, on another forum, they advise applicants to provide a paper trail of savings. Of course, if any of the savings are a gift, then a letter from the donor is required stating that it is a gift and not a loan.
Thank you michali. Do you mean you gave details of your husband's employment only in your signed declaration, with no letter from his employer and contracts submitted along?
Can I ask if you applied outside or inside the UK? Mine is from outside and from what I've read on other forums, I have a feeling that applications made inside the uk are more likely to be successful, even with fewer supporting documents. I might be wrong
Old May 18th 2018, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

We used the same declaration for both the spousal visa (outside the UK) and for FLR(M) (inside the UK). No, we did not have any evidence as the savings had been accrued several years earlier and just grew due to interest. No letter from employer. One forum says this is acceptable, another says you should produce some documents to show payments going from a chequing account to savings or something similar.
Old May 19th 2018, 12:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks for sharing your experience michali. I think we'll do the same. Hope we succeed like you did.