British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Spouse Visa - Application Process (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/spouse-visa-application-process-926001/)

JC1989 Jun 25th 2019 8:10 pm

Spouse Visa - Application Process

I think I may be asking a very stupid question so I apologise as everyone else seems to be fine with the application process for a Spouse visa but can anyone explain it or sent me to a thread somewhere which is clear unlike the GovUK website?... I've looked and can't really find a simple explanation of the process

I am getting married in Malaysia this Dec and we will be applying for my wife-to-be over there after the wedding - I will then be coming back while the visa is being processed; we aren't worried about the housing/ financial requirement/ supporting evidence but its actually what we need to do and in which order that is confusing!

I know we apply online/ complete appendix two and then go to a centre for her biometrics but whats all this stuff about scanning on the supporting docs and then posting them within the UK? FYI we will have a week together as man and wife after the wedding before I have to return home so I am worried about timescales and what happens if I return home but need to provide an original copy of something that she has to keep hold of for the biometrics appointment in Malaysia.

BritInParis Jun 25th 2019 9:01 pm

Re: Spouse Visa - Application Process

The process with regards to supporting documents will vary depending on the country you are applying from but generally your wife will need to take your supporting documents to her biometrics appointment to be scanned and/or you will need to post them to Sheffield. If you’re going to be in Malaysia at the time of application then make sure you take everything with you and ensure that your most recent financial documents will be dated no more earlier than 28 days before the date of application.

JC1989 Jun 25th 2019 10:38 pm

Re: Spouse Visa - Application Process

Thanks BritInParis. So this may be tricky in regards to how quickly we can get an appointment at VFS in Kuala Lumpur. Once you have filled in the online application on the GOVUK site they then put you through to book the biometrics appointment automatically I believe - is this correct?

Thanks for the heads-up on the financial side timescales makes sense to not do it too early. Also can I confirm - if for some reason they ask for for an original doc in malaysia but I have returned to the UK with it - (say for example, my passport) I could send to the relevant department in Sheffield and I assume the two sites are in communication with one another?