Spouse visa, accommodation req, 'settlement'

Old Aug 13th 2016, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

omario2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse visa, accommodation req, 'settlement'

Hi everyone,

I have a particular question in regards to accommodation but also many more questions as I think my case is a bit special. I would be very grateful to get some help from your guys on my first question but super happy if I get feedback for the rest too.

Accommodation:
Can accommodation be AirBnB? for instance for a month and thereafter something more permanent? I am currently based abroad with my work (my wife is living with me here too) and have been away from the UK for almost 6 years but going back to the UK during those 6 years every now and then. I haven't been renting a place but have been using a friends address to receive my post and also to stay during the times I was in the UK during that 6 years. (never more than two months at a time). This is why I don't have my place and no tenancy agreement, bills etc.

My case:
I am using 'savings' option to meet the financial requirements. The appendix 2 form seems very complicated, do I need to put all my work history in the last 6 years (it has been with only one employer but different countries)? Do I qualify as someone who is 'settled' in the UK and therefore eligible to bring my wife on spouse visa? Do I need to rent an accommodation or AirBnB will be enough to begin with? Can I even rent an accommodation in the UK while I am abroad?

If I have to rent an accommodation, when do i need to rent it from? I am not sure when the visa will be granted. Based on where I am applying from, souse visa takes up to three months, can I rent an accommodation and pre date it to lets say in three months time?

Easiest for me would be to book a (studio) flat through AirBnB for a month or so and once we arrive in the UK, we start looking for a permanent accommodation but not sure if that meets the accommodation requirement

Any tips, feedback will be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks,
Old Aug 17th 2016, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Spouse visa, accommodation req, 'settlement'

Greetings to all,
I had most of the points I raised above answered in other threads which I am really thankful for. I do however have some more questions.....here it goes:

for the last 6 years that I have been away from the UK as an expat I have been using a friends address in order to get my post and have crashed there during my short visits during those 6 years.

now that we are applying for my wife's spouse visa (from Dhaka as we currently live here for my work) we have to fulfil the accommodation criteria (we are applying through savings).

the friend's place I was using for 6 years is a stud flat hence not possible for us to stay there however another friends has offered a room in his house for us to rent for as long as we want. We see this as our option though only temporary until we find another longer term solution once we move to the UK.

1. Can I keep my postal address as it is (my friend with studio flat) and instead just have my name on the utility bills in the place we are thinking of moving? this is because i would still like to keep my postal address (banks etc) as it is until we find a permanent solution.

2. Do you think they will accept this request and explanation in the visa application?

3. has anyone on this forum managed to get their bank statements sent to them in a country where they couldn't get bank stamps? I bank with Barclays and Santander and there are no branches here in Dhaka.

I am sorry if i am not making any sense. I had a really tiring day at work and I am a bit overwhelmed on how much is involved in this spouse visa....... very draining!
Old Aug 17th 2016, 4:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by omario2016
Greetings to all,
I had most of the points I raised above answered in other threads which I am really thankful for. I do however have some more questions.....here it goes:

for the last 6 years that I have been away from the UK as an expat I have been using a friends address in order to get my post and have crashed there during my short visits during those 6 years.

now that we are applying for my wife's spouse visa (from Dhaka as we currently live here for my work) we have to fulfil the accommodation criteria (we are applying through savings).

the friend's place I was using for 6 years is a stud flat hence not possible for us to stay there however another friends has offered a room in his house for us to rent for as long as we want. We see this as our option though only temporary until we find another longer term solution once we move to the UK.

1. Can I keep my postal address as it is (my friend with studio flat) and instead just have my name on the utility bills in the place we are thinking of moving? this is because i would still like to keep my postal address (banks etc) as it is until we find a permanent solution.

2. Do you think they will accept this request and explanation in the visa application?

3. has anyone on this forum managed to get their bank statements sent to them in a country where they couldn't get bank stamps? I bank with Barclays and Santander and there are no branches here in Dhaka.

I am sorry if i am not making any sense. I had a really tiring day at work and I am a bit overwhelmed on how much is involved in this spouse visa....... very draining!
Regarding using your friend's UK postal address - why are you thinking you need a current UK address for your wife to apply for a spouse visa from Dhaka? You put your current address down, where they ask for that, the accommodation you'll be staying in when you arrive in the UK is an entirely different question.

So - when your wife's filling in the visa application form, and it asks her current address, she puts where you're both living in Dhaka.

When the form asks your wife where you (her sponsor) are living currently, she puts down the same thing - the address where you're both living now in Dhaka.

When your wife comes to the question about accommodation in the UK, where you both intend to live initially, she puts down your friend's address, the one with a spare room that he's letting you both stay in. Remember that you'll need to provide evidence that this accommodation meets the criteria.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Regarding using your friend's UK postal address - why are you thinking you need a current UK address for your wife to apply for a spouse visa from Dhaka? You put your current address down, where they ask for that, the accommodation you'll be staying in when you arrive in the UK is an entirely different question.

So - when your wife's filling in the visa application form, and it asks her current address, she puts where you're both living in Dhaka.

When the form asks your wife where you (her sponsor) are living currently, she puts down the same thing - the address where you're both living now in Dhaka.

When your wife comes to the question about accommodation in the UK, where you both intend to live initially, she puts down your friend's address, the one with a spare room that he's letting you both stay in. Remember that you'll need to provide evidence that this accommodation meets the criteria.
Ok that clarifies it and I had the same feedback from another helpful user here but you event went further with the Dhaka addresses so thank a lot!

The only question that I think that they may have would be: why my address on my bank statements would be different from where we are going to be staying? or would they be ok if I include a paragraph explaining this in my personal statement.

My friend is very happy to send and provide all those documents to meet accommodation criteria which I believe are:

*copy of the deed (proof of ownership)
* picture of the house (will the digital ones be enough so that I can then print?)
*utility bills under his name
* a letter from him stating that he is offering for us to stay there
*copy of his passport

have i missed anything?

Last edited by omario2016; Aug 17th 2016 at 5:27 pm.