British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Spouse Visa - Accommodation Proof of Size (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/spouse-visa-accommodation-proof-size-896647/)

MonsterP May 11th 2017 1:42 pm

Spouse Visa - Accommodation Proof of Size

Dear All,

Is it mandatory to prove the size of a family home for a Spouse Visa application for entry clearance? I have a three bedroomed semi in my name, which I bought last year and have been finishing off renovation.

There will only be myself, my Wife, and 5 year old Son in occupation.
Currently, I am alone here, and my Wife and Son are living in Shanghai.

There are 3 bedrooms each, ranging in size from 6.56 Sqm to 12.63 Sqm.
There is also:-
Dining Room - 10.58 Sqm
Lounge - 18.14 Sqm
Conservatory - 5.44 Sqm

I understand from the Accommodation rules that the minimum size of a 'room' is about 4.65 Sqm.

These are my own measurements and I did not have a survey done on the property.

It appears that I have two options:-
1) Use my local Council to do an Immigration Survey for £140 according to their website
2) Use a registered Surveyor to do a similar report, hopefully for less!

Any experience anyone?
Thoughts, tips, clarification?

Much appreciated,
Cheers! MP :thumbsup:

SanDiegogirl May 11th 2017 5:27 pm

Re: Spouse Visa - Accommodation Proof of Size

If the home is for your family's use only (no sharers, renters , other people) then you do not need an inspection.

MonsterP May 11th 2017 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12250724)
If the home is for your family's use only (no sharers, renters , other people) then you do not need an inspection.

SanDiegoGirl.... :angel:
What a massive relief! Thank you so much!

MonsterP May 13th 2017 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12250724)

Just a further thought on this one SDG, if we don't need an inspection report, what do we need to show where we will be living and that it's a 3 bed semi?

Of course, I'll provide a copy of the LR deeds, but otherwise the ECO won't know what kind of property it is.

Would a print out of the EPC suffice? Anything else?

Cheers, MP

Pulaski May 13th 2017 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by MonsterP (Post 12251979)
Just a further thought on this one SDG, if we don't need an inspection report, what do we need to show where we will be living and that it's a 3 bed semi?

Of course, I'll provide a copy of the LR deeds, but otherwise the ECO won't know what kind of property it is.

Would a print out of the EPC suffice? Anything else? .....

Personally, I'd send a picture taken from the street, even from Google Street View. It's usually fairly obvious what a three-bed semi looks like.

michali May 13th 2017 10:32 pm

We only sent the land registry document to show where we were going to live. No inspection, photos etc.