British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Spouse visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/spouse-visa-939187/)

Sedat94 Jun 23rd 2021 2:33 am

Spouse visa

Hello,

Couple people told me that for my soon to be wife will need to be 21 to come and join me in the uk?
i am a British citizen and she is currently in turkey we are soon going to be married but she is not 21.
she is 18 i am aware of all the requirements about her learning english and the money i need to be earning also.
but is it true that that age limit has or will be changed?
thanks for all advice

SanDiegogirl Jun 23rd 2021 2:49 am

Re: Spouse visa

Apply as a partner or spouse

To apply as a partner, you and your partner both need to be 18 or over

spouse of scouse Jun 23rd 2021 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Sedat94 (Post 13020659)
Hello,

Couple people told me that for my soon to be wife will need to be 21 to come and join me in the uk?
i am a British citizen and she is currently in turkey we are soon going to be married but she is not 21.
she is 18 i am aware of all the requirements about her learning english and the money i need to be earning also.
but is it true that that age limit has or will be changed?
thanks for all advice

Your marriage needs to one that's recognised in the UK. Marrying at 18 is legal in the UK so your wife to be's age isn't a problem.

Sedat94 Jun 23rd 2021 3:57 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 13020665)
Your marriage needs to one that's recognised in the UK. Marrying at 18 is legal in the UK so your wife to be's age isn't a problem.

What do you mean by my marriage needs to be one that is recognised in the uk?
if i get married in turkey (thats where she is) will that be recognised then?
thanks

SanDiegogirl Jun 23rd 2021 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Sedat94 (Post 13020678)
thanks

Presuming you are having a recognised civil marriage in Turkey by a Turkish official and you will have all the necessary documents to show such marriage, it will be recognised in the UK

spouse of scouse Jun 23rd 2021 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Sedat94 (Post 13020678)
thanks

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 13020686)
Presuming you are having a recognised civil marriage in Turkey by a Turkish official and you will have all the necessary documents to show such marriage, it will be recognised in the UK

As SanDiegogirl has explained above.

If your marriage is legally recognised (ie a legal marriage) in Turkey, it will also be legally recognised in the UK.

Sedat94 Jun 23rd 2021 12:18 pm

There is no such thing as being 21 correct?
anybody have any idea where this 21 came out of then?

christmasoompa Jun 23rd 2021 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Sedat94 (Post 13020809)
There is no such thing as being 21 correct?
anybody have any idea where this 21 came out of then?

Best to ask the 'couple of people' who've told you it's 21, I'm not sure any of us can guess where they've got that from.

mavaas11 Jun 23rd 2021 7:55 pm

its 18 the age for marriage, also have a marriage in turkey and get the official marriage certificate from Turkey and get in it translated by public notary to English