Spouse visa for 1 year

Old May 6th 2015, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

UKgirlinCanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse visa for 1 year

Hi everyone
I am a British national living in Canada. My husband is Canadian. My kids are eligible for British passports and I will be applying for those in the near future.
We are thinking of moving to the UK for 1 year and I am wondering if it is worth trying to sponsor my husband, or if he can apply for a temporary work visa (he is 40) OR if he could just be a house husband! I am a physiotherapist so am fairly confident that I will be able to earn enough to meet the financial requirements for sponsorship. However, I would likely just have a job offer rather than evidence of income in the UK when we come over. I didn't see anything about that on the UK Govt website.

We can both take sabbaticals from our jobs in Canada.
My husband is a mechanic - does anyone know if a Canadian trained mechanic can work as a mechanic in the UK? I've tried to look online but seem unable to find the info.
Thanks for your help!
Old May 6th 2015, 8:51 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa for 1 year

Providing you meet the financial requirements then you can sponsor your husband for a spouse visa. This would allow him to work or stay at home. Providing your current salary in Canada is over the threshold AND you can get a job offer in the UK with a salary also over the threshold then you could all move together as a family. Providing a garage is willing to take your husband on then he can work as a mechanic in the UK. He could even be self-employed. There's no mandatory trade qualifications to be a mechanic although they would help him to find an employer.

A cheaper and simpler way to be for your husband to obtain an ancestry visa (if he has a UK-born grandparent) or a passport from another EEA country (if he has a European-born ancestor). This would avoid the large visa fees you would have to pay for a spouse visa and you wouldn't need to sponsor him.
Old May 6th 2015, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Read the document I sent you a link to, to find out how you could qualify under the financial requirements.

As said before if he has British or European ancestry then other options might be open to you.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; May 6th 2015 at 9:06 pm.
Old May 6th 2015, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

UKgirlinCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

sadly, his grandparents were second generation Canadians and Australians. Thanks for the replies. SanDiegogirl did look at the link you provided (thank you) but didn't see anything about job offers etc. Thanks for your help guys!
Old May 6th 2015, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You should be looking at Clauses 5.2 and 5.4 which both deal with the sponsoring spouse returning to the UK with a job offer in place.

They detail how you can qualify under Category A and Category B situations.