Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Spouse UK, hubby Non-EU Citizen considering moving to the UK

Spouse UK, hubby Non-EU Citizen considering moving to the UK

Old Sep 10th 2015, 10:02 am
Just Joined

ekpotek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse UK, hubby Non-EU Citizen considering moving to the UK

My wife and I got married over 6 years ago in Nigeria. She was born in the UK in 1972 and came to Nigeria as an infant on a British passport since her parents were Nigerian. She been living in Nigerian since then with a Nigerian passport. After a long battle with Home office, she has finally obtained her British passport with her marital name on it. Now she is considering relocating to the UK with me. I am asking if there will be any benefit she can claim upon her arrival in the UK? Secondly which is the best option to return to the UK with my wife apart from the Spousal visa which I know she cannot meet the £18,600 financial requirement from Nigeria.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse UK, hubby Non-EU Citizen considering moving to the UK

Looks like you will have to accept being apart from your wife for some time. She would need to have had a job in the UK paying £18,600 a year for 6 months before she can sponsor you. If she is a British citizen , she could return tomorrow on her own, but so far as benefits are concerned I'm keeping quiet to avoid the possibility of litigation! Others may not be so reticent!
The only alternative I can think of is via the Surinder Singh Route - search the Wiki for details.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quiltman
Looks like you will have to accept being apart from your wife for some time. She would need to have had a job in the UK paying £18,600 a year for 6 months before she can sponsor you. If she is a British citizen , she could return tomorrow on her own, but so far as benefits are concerned I'm keeping quiet to avoid the possibility of litigation! Others may not be so reticent!
The only alternative I can think of is via the Surinder Singh Route - search the Wiki for details.
Thanks quiltman. Fortunately, I have a 2 years visitor visa which expire is 2017. With this, I can visit her if she returns to the UK. What are her chances of getting a job in the UK soon? Thanks
Old Sep 10th 2015, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

There *may* be benefits she can claim if she passes an habitual residency test.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...ming-benefits/

Her chances of getting a job will depend on her qualifications, work experience, determination, area she moves to/settles in the UK.

Be aware that you could still be refused entry, even for a visit, even with a valid visitor visa (worst case scenario).

I'll second the suggestion to research the SS route if you wish to relocate permanently to the UK with your wife.

Last edited by Shirtback; Sep 10th 2015 at 7:49 pm. Reason: Added link
Old Sep 10th 2015, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ekpotek
Now she is considering relocating to the UK with me. I am asking if there will be any benefit she can claim upon her arrival in the UK?
It's a 3 month wait for benefits.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shirtback
There *may* be benefits she can claim if she passes an habitual residency test.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...ming-benefits/

Her chances of getting a job will depend on her qualifications, work experience, determination, area she moves to/settles in the UK.

Be aware that you could still be refused entry, even for a visit, even with a valid visitor visa (worst case scenario).

I'll second the suggestion to research the SS route if you wish to relocate permanently to the UK with your wife.
Yes I have been doing some research on the SS route and it look it a viable option. My question is would I need a visa to accompany my UK spouse to any EU country we choose for the SS. Secondly is it better to start the SS route by first going with her on my visitor visa to UK, from there to EU or we can moving directly from Africa to the EU country.