spouse in pakistan

Old Oct 14th 2009, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

chunkylvr678 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default spouse in pakistan

hello all,
I've recently moved to the UK with 3 of my children. I am a british citizen along with 2 of my kids. My husband is a pakistani, and currenly resides in pakistan, and he too, is planning on moving to the UK via spouse visa. I just dont know the best way to go along with a spouse visa. To my knowledge, the best way for my husband to get a visa would be to apply for a settlement visa, but I dont know if thats efficient and quick. I'm currently staying at my uncle's house, and I do not have a place of my own, yet. Should I rent out an apartment? Would that be easier for my husband to get his visa? Does anyone know how long it usually takes for one to get a visa through their spouse? What documentation would I be needing?

Any information would be very helpful.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: spouse in pakistan

oh sorry one more thing. I have a son of the age 17, and he is an american citizen, and he too is here in the UK. is there a way for my son to continue living in the UK legally by extending his stay? can he work/study?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:14 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a UKC isn't your US son a dual national?
Other than that, you can finds lot of info on visas for spouses etc at www.uk-yankee.com
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

US citizens cant have dual nationalities..right?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:51 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chunkylvr678
US citizens cant have dual nationalities..right?
Not so. They have been allowed to hold two passports for some years now. They no longer have to renounce their US citizenship. At least that is the case with my D-I-L.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:54 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Not so. They have been allowed to hold two passports for some years now. They no longer have to renounce their US citizenship. At least that is the case with my D-I-L.
Same here all my US born kids have dual nationality, I was born in UK.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Same here all my US born kids have dual nationality, I was born in UK.
ok, I'm a british citizen but my husband is a pakistani. Would my son be able to keep his US citizenship, if he chose to become a UK citizen too?
Old Oct 16th 2009, 4:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Just cannot hold public office with dual nationality.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 10:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Just cannot hold public office with dual nationality.
Untrue.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:32 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by chunkylvr678
ok, I'm a british citizen but my husband is a pakistani. Would my son be able to keep his US citizenship, if he chose to become a UK citizen too?
Yes, so far as we know US does recognize Dual nationality now.
From what I have read it looks like he keeps his US citizenship forever, but to pass on US citizenship he must live in the US for 8 years (could be less I forget exactly) and two of those years must be after age 15. Other than that he'd be a dual national with full US and UK passport so long as you are eligible to pass on citizenship to him, and aren't UK citizen by descent.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
From what I have read it looks like he keeps his US citizenship forever, but to pass on US citizenship he must live in the US for 8 years (could be less I forget exactly) and two of those years must be after age 15.
Not quite.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Americ...en_Born_Abroad
Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:14 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by JAJ
Close but no cigar huh! That made it more clear thank you.