Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Spouse and I self-employed. Relocate to UK from US. Financial Req's question

Spouse and I self-employed. Relocate to UK from US. Financial Req's question

Old Aug 16th 2017, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

nigelfrank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse and I self-employed. Relocate to UK from US. Financial Req's question

Hi there,

Wife (US citizen) and I (UK and USA citizen) both living in USA for 20 years want to move to UK this year.

I am self employed and earn approx $55K US per year. have done every year for 5+ years. Before that had a higher full time salary for 10+ years. I can continue this work from anywhere in the world (IT consultant) and have an ongoing contract with a large US firm.

My wife is in a full time job with larger salary for the same employer for 3.5 years. She's been offered to continue work with them but as a contractor out of the UK as she can work from home. Her total pay will easily be $50K+ and will be confirmed by the employer in a letter.

My question is do we include her future contractor pay in the application for a spouse visa or will that just complicate the application? After all the visa application is for a spousal visa not a work visa.

The whole financial requirement thing has me a bit worried as I am self employed but haven't been in the UK, only the US and want to show as much income as possible. The self-employed financial proof, especially from non-UK income, seems to be more complicated than full time work proof in the UK hence the concern.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse and I self-employed. Relocate to UK from US. Financial Req's question

You are going to have to show documentary evidence of your self employment in the US AND how that employment and income is going to continue in the UK.

Your wife's potential employment in the UK will not be relevant.

Evidence of self employment is probably the most difficult of any of the categories under which one can qualify - the documents required are many.

You should read the following documents carefully to understand what you will need to produce to qualify under self employment:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ment_Final.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...ified-evidence

Read and come back with any further questions.

Other options you might consider are the savings route and, if your wife has European or British ancestry, then the eligibility of other visas.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

nigelfrank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spouse and I self-employed. Relocate to UK from US. Financial Req's question

Thanks, will review.