Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Spouse/CP visa approved - can i travel to the UK prior to the valid from date?

Spouse/CP visa approved - can i travel to the UK prior to the valid from date?

Old Feb 17th 2016, 9:12 am
Just Joined

nigel_187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse/CP visa approved - can i travel to the UK prior to the valid from date?

Hi,

My wife is an UK Citizen and has moved back to the UK. My application to enter as a Spouse/CP has been successful.
I'm an Australian Citizen.

I would like some advise; is it possible to enter the UK prior to the Spouse/CP visa valid from date. Am I able to enter the UK under a tourist visa (though a visa is not required if you're entering and planning on leaving before the 6 month period which I intend on doing), then leave the UK prior to the valid from date and return to get the stamp on the Spouse/CP visa?

Hope this is not too confusing. Any help or advise would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Nigel

Last edited by nigel_187; Feb 17th 2016 at 9:24 am.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse/CP visa approved - can i travel to the UK prior to the valid from date?

Originally Posted by nigel_187
Hi, My wife is an UK Citizen has moved back to the UK. My application to enter as a Spouse/CP has been successful.I'm an Australian Citizen. I wanted to some advise; is it possible to enter the UK prior to the Spouse/CP visa valid from date. Am I able to enter the UK under a tourist visa (though a visa is not required if you're entering and planning on leaving before the 6 month period which I intend on doing), then leave the UK prior to the valid from date and return to get the stamp on the Spouse/CP visa? Hope this is not too confusing. Any help or advise would be really appreciated.ThanksNigel
In theory yes but I'd say you run the risk of an ill informed UKBA officer inadvertently cancelling the Settlement Visa. Should be ok as long as you are firm with them.
Whether they believe you will actually leave the UK is another matter of course.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 10:42 am
Just Joined

nigel_187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spouse/CP visa approved - can i travel to the UK prior to the valid from date?

Well my plan is to have a ticket booked prior to getting to the uk to Paris. So that confirms that I'm leaving the uk prior to the start of the settlement visa and then return from Paris back to the uk when my spouse visa has commenced from the valid date. I wonder if that would help?
It's only a month gap from the time I want to get to the uk to the valid date of my spouse/cp visa

Last edited by nigel_187; Feb 17th 2016 at 11:01 am.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 9:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Technically yes. My other half did do this with her Tier 2 visa but she was made to sit on the naughty chair at Heathrow Terminal 5 and was given a dressing down by Matron before she was allowed in. Make sure you have proof of your ticket to Paris with you when you arrive.