Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Spousal Visa Underway: Questions About Correspondance & Relationship Proof

Spousal Visa Underway: Questions About Correspondance & Relationship Proof

Old Aug 13th 2018, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

cluelesscanadian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Visa Underway: Questions About Correspondance & Relationship Proof

Hi there!

I am Canadian and currently on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa, so currently living in the UK. My visa expires October 4th, so I am feeling a little stressed to get this spousal application in as quickly as possible. Although, I have spoken to a solicitor who has said that I am able to work and remain in the UK while the decision is being made.

Correspondance Proof
I have started the application and have a few questions about the correspondence letters to prove that my husband and I receive bills to the same address.
- If our gas and electricity is paid online and I have PDF statements - does this count as a document or do I literally have to get them to print them and send them to me?
- When I call our Council, they keep stating that I can merely print our statements online rather than have them send them by post, is this fine to include?
- We got married in March 2018, and also moved in together in March 2018. We, therefore, do not have bills together for a two year period - they seem to specify that we should have bills that span the two years. Most of our bills are from quite recently unfortunately. Thoughts?

Relationship Proof
- Other than photos, facebook messages, are there any additional items you would definitely include?
- We have itinerary emails with our flights, but not the physical boarding passes - is this fine?

In-Person or By Post?
- My main concern at the moment is if for some reason I am declined, I will pass the October deadline for my current visa and have to return to Canada and reapply from there. Of course this is a worst case scenario, but that's my biggest fear. I am wondering if I should apply in person and pay that extra money? A solicitor told me that these appointments are going quickly though. Is there another fast track option other than the in person appointment?
Old Aug 13th 2018, 8:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Visa Underway: Questions About Correspondance & Relationship Proof

The two years’ worth of relationship evidence is only for unmarried couples. It’s not necessary in your case. Covering letters from each of you together describing the development of your relationship and your future plans with a selection of photographs of you together with family and friends will almost certainly suffice, particularly if you married in the UK.

If for any reason your application is refused then you’ll have 28 days to reapply. You wouldn’t have to reapply from Canada. Premium appointments are only available in person. They are an added expense but you’ll normally get a decision there and then which reduces the stress levels and also means you are not prevented from being ‘trapped’ in the UK awaiting a decision.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

cluelesscanadian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spousal Visa Underway: Questions About Correspondance & Relationship Proof

Thank you so much for your response!

I have read in another thread that I should have atleast 2 photos per year of our relationship. We met in 2015 and were long distance for a year before I moved to the UK on the youth mobility visa, so I have photos of us together while we visited each other, as well as a few photos of us with family and friends. As well, I will include photos from our wedding. We actually got married in Vegas (cheesy, I know) - but I have photos from this.

In terms of our bills and statements, I do still need to provide this to show evidence that we both pay bills and live at the same address currently, correct? We do have quite a few joint bills, a joint bank account, etc. I am just hoping that printing these off is enough (as most of our bills are paperless)? Should we get our bank statements stamped for example?

For the flight evidence, a solicitor did mention to me that this was very important to show evidence of. I am just wondering if itinerary details are enough or if we should be expected to show boarding passes (who keeps these for years and years??).

Thanks again for your response!
Old Aug 14th 2018, 11:43 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you’re married then I really wouldn’t bother with joint bills and bank statements as relationship evidence. You’re only likely to muddy the waters with meeting the financial requirements. I’m not sure why your solicitor thinks flight evidence is particularly important - I would include some itinerary copies to support the claims in your covering letter but that’s it really.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

fiend is an unknown quantity at this point

Relationship Proof
Originally Posted by BritInParis
Covering letters from each of you together describing the development of your relationship and your future plans with a selection of photographs of you together with family and friends will almost certainly suffice, particularly if you married in the UK.
These covering letters for the application and sponder are not needed or asked for during the application process or on the checklist.

Facebook messages, flight boarding passes, itineraries etc are not needed either.

For relationship proof my parter and I sent our marriage cerfitcate (required) and a some photographs spanning the time of our relationship (this is not required).

Yes, you still need to show you live together by giving evidence of correspondence. It doesn't matter if you are married or not, it is required as part of the application. From what I understand the correspondence carries more weight for unmarried couples.

Correspondance Proof
It is fine to print online "PDF" council tax bills, utility bills etc and use them for correspondence proof.

Bank statements must be originals issued by the bank (in branch or by post). Banks will not stamp a statement that has been printed at home and brought in. This is because they cannot guarantee the statement is genuine or has been altered.

In-Person or By Post
There is the Super Premium Service that costs £10,500 + the regular visa fees. You will receive a decision within 24 hours.

https://www.gov.uk/ukvi-premium-serv...remium-service

Other than that, the fastest way to receive a decision in an in-person appointment. I would recommend this if you can afford it and need a fast decision. You may not be able to get an appointment for 30+ days though. I did the postal application and it took 8 weeks.

*I submitted our application in June 2018 and it was approved in August 2018. We completed the new online application. So the information I am giving you is up-to date. A lot of people on this forum will give out of date advice or advice that is not relevant to the online application process.

Last edited by fiend; Aug 14th 2018 at 6:34 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by fiend
Relationship Proof

These covering letters for the application and sponder are not needed or asked for during the application process or on the checklist.

Facebook messages, flight boarding passes, itineraries etc are not needed either.

For relationship proof my parter and I sent our marriage cerfitcate (required) and a some photographs spanning the time of our relationship (this is not required).

Yes, you still need to show you live together by giving evidence of correspondence. It doesn't matter if you are married or not, it is required as part of the application. From what I understand the correspondence carries more weight for unmarried couples.

Correspondance Proof
It is fine to print online "PDF" council tax bills, utility bills etc and use them for correspondence proof.

Bank statements must be originals issued by the bank (in branch or by post). Banks will not stamp a statement that has been printed at home and brought in. This is because they cannot guarantee the statement is genuine or has been altered.

In-Person or By Post
There is the Super Premium Service that costs £10,500 + the regular visa fees. You will receive a decision within 24 hours.

https://www.gov.uk/ukvi-premium-serv...remium-service

Other than that, the fastest way to receive a decision in an in-person appointment. I would recommend this if you can afford it and need a fast decision. You may not be able to get an appointment for 30+ days though. I did the postal application and it took 8 weeks.

*I submitted our application in June 2018 and it was approved in August 2018. We completed the new online application. So the information I am giving you is up-to date. A lot of people on this forum will give out of date advice or advice that is not relevant to the online application process.
I would take any of those supporting document checklists produced by the Home Office with a pinch of salt. Any application will be considered against the relevant Immigration Rules, not these guides. The document itself states "It is not a list of documents that you must submit. We do not expect you to provide all of the documents listed below, it is for you to decide which documents are most relevant to your application. The submission of all or any of these documents does not guarantee that your application will be successful." That your application was successful will not necessarily be reflected in the experience of others. A huge amount will depend on the individual circumstances of the applicant and their sponsor. My advice is based on ten years of professional and personal experience and is not out of date.

The Super Premium service is for Russian oligarchs and similar who don't want to have to queue with the plebs in Croydon. You will still need to make an appointment won't get a decision any quicker than if you attended a regular premium service centre at a fraction of the cost.